• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Forgotten Favorites

Black Plague

What are some cigars you used to LOVE back in the day, but nowadays, seems like no one buys or smokes 'em anymore?

I'm especially interested to hear from you boys who were smoking back before/during the 90's boom. What stuff would you have sold your firstborn for back then but now you never touch?

And, if you know, just why do you no longer indulge in them? Did you tastes change? Did the blend change? Do they not make them anymore?

Pre-hurricane Gilbert Royal Jamaica cigars. Because of a generous brother here I've had an opportunity to smoke a couple that were around 22yrs old or so. They brought back a lot of memories. They were the first premium cigar I ever bought, at Holt's, when I was stationed in Philly, about 36 yrs ago. I have another, a gift from another brother here, which I will never smoke, that probably dates from the '70's. Possibly the '60's

Doc.

I'll add my own.

About four or five years ago, my buddy Chris became obsessed with Vega Talanga. They were a good smoke, I liked 'em, but he was nuts for 'em and gave up on almost every cigar except for them. This was back in the original release; they came un-cellophaned, with a pigtail cap, and in little sacks (like the ones you see tobacco aging in in the warehouse).

Then they introduced four new blends...and changed the original! They now come in cello, no pigtail, and a decidely awful reblend.

Macanudos.

Don't laugh.

I remember a FOG once telling me that, before they got big, Arturo Fuente was what you smoked when you couldn't find any Macs or Partagas. :laugh:

I'd like to hear a FOG chime in on that...were Macs and Parties better back then? Or was it just that there wasn't anything better around? To me, Macs are pretty much bland and Parties would be alright if they didn't have a metallic/harsh aftertaste.

Oh, reminds me of another one.

Romeo y Julieta! Used to be my all-time fav brand when I started on cigars. Now, I can't touch one because, though they taste alright on first draw, the finish is like licking a penny! :(

Macanudos.

Don't laugh.

My Dad brought a Santa Damiana Grand Tubulares back from the D.R. for me last May.... It was my first "real" cigar. The family and I went to Myrtle Beach the next month and I found a shop selling cigars....they had no Santa Damiana's, but they did introduce me to the Macanudo Crystal Cafe which was the cigar of choice for me for the next 6 months until I found CP. I still like a S.D. every now and again.

Partagas #10 was one of my favorites back in the late 80's - early 90's. Haven't picked up a Partagas in eight or nine years.

One that I have smoked since the late 70's and will always smoke is the Arturo Fuente 858 natural. I will never tire of that cigar.

La Perla Habana Maduros, the torpedos and toros. I don't even see those anywhere anymore but I used to love 'em.

Come 'em coming, guys.

I'm thinking of doing a series of reviews on cigars like these. So far, I'm planning to review LGC, Punch Grand Cru, Bucanero, and La Luna (if I can find any).

I'll share a funny little story about La Gloria Cubana during the boom that I heard from some FOGs. Back during the boom, after cA and Limbaugh made them really popular, they were damn near impossible to get. You used to be able to fax or phone in orders. If you sat on the phone for hours trying to get through, and finally got your call answered, you had to deal with this charming lady....

LGC LADY: El Credito. What do you want!?

BUYER: Uh...could I get a box of Wavell Maduros?

LGC LADY: We're out! <click>

BUYER: Hello? Hello?

original box-pressed temple halls. i believe this was pre-general cigar. they were great. never the same again.

When I first started smoking cigars, I would smoke a lot of the Miami made La Gloria Cubanas. The wavell maduro was a great favorite of mine. I hadn't touched them in a long time until five or so months ago & tried them again and was very underwhelmed. I know my tastes have changed, but thought this would hold up well to the test of time.

The two that I had were underfilled, burned hot, and tasted extremely harsh. I may try the DR rolled cigars eventually, but my great memories were spoiled.

La Gloria Cubanas, I think blends and taste changed when they moved to the DR.

Personally, I think a lot of people still buy and smoke Macs, just not many people here.

I wouldn't call them forgotten, just not smoked as often. CAO maduros, LGC Series R No.5, Cusano Corojo 97 Toro and Puros Indios Maxima Reserva Robusto Maduro. These are a few of some of the ones I still enjoy.

Awesome guys! I'd really like to try a lot of these out and review them, see how they taste now. A lot of the ones being mentioned are cigars I also used to smoke a lot but haven't touched in a long time (like LGC Serie R, LGC maduros, CAO, etc.)

Keep 'em coming.

I smoked Macanudos quite a bit years ago - Hyde Park and one of the longer ones as well, maybe the Prince Phillip? I can't remember which. I do remember I used to smoke those long ones on the road (I had to travel regularly back then) and I liked that once I got about halfway through they started to pick up in flavor and gain a bit of punch. Little did I know then that I would end up preferring much stronger smokes :)

I also smoked Henry Clay cigars on and off and I still have a few Rothchildes in my humidor. I don't see much about them but I think they are fine daily cigars.

My first real love was 5 Vegas torpedo. First box I ever purchased. I absolutely thought they were the bomb! I still have a box from the late 90's. They are very one demintional and light. They are now just a nostalgia smoke for me.
There is a cigar I have been smoking since I bought them for the first time though, El Rey Del Mundo Rectangulare, both natties and maduros. The flavor is just one I like. Great Honduran smokes. These also age great for a couple 5 years before they start blanding out. Nice size, and great box press for a perfect mouth fit. Just my opinion though. I smoke 1-2 a month at minimum. They also have box codes. I have about 4-5 left from a 1998 and another full unopened box of natties from 2001 I need to start on.