• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FREEZE EVERYTHING!

Tapewormboy

Just got a box of Bolivar Gold Medals yesterday and found a LIVE beetle eating away at one of the sticks. This is a 2007 box!!! (TEB AGO 07)

It was just in its larval stage, meaning it hatched recently. I'm guessing he hatched before shipping since the larval stage is supposed to last for 5-10 weeks. The box was only traveling for 1 week. I noticed a bunch of beetle feces in the box and the rest of the box has gone into the freezer.

I'd been reluctant with the whole freezing process until now.

FREEZE EVERYTHING!!!

Here's some pictures:

Box with feces:
b134825445.jpg

After tapping the cigar on a piece of paper (I was studying at the time):
b134825405.jpg

I felt a soft spot near the foot and started digging with a paper clip to see if I could find him. You can see him in the groove:
b134825474.jpg

White, fuzzy, and still moving:
b134825511.jpg

Contact your vendor and have them replace the box.

I've dealt with it already on the vendor side and everything is taken care of. I just wanted to let people know that Habanos' supposed freezing practices aren't 100% effective.

I've dealt with it already on the vendor side and everything is taken care of. I just wanted to let people know that Habanos' supposed freezing practices aren't 100% effective.

Did you try Glucose Stimulation before freezing? :whistling:

That is absolutely priceless Mr. Keller. :laugh:

In all seriousness, those are very disturbing pictures. Sorry to hear it TWBoy.

Thanks for the heads-up, just checked mine and didn't find any feces or holes and such, but then again my cigars are stored at 62f at the moment and have been since I received the box but during the summer that temp gets a lot closer to 70f, hopefully your situation is an isolated one. Good luck with it, the vendor should take care of it. By the way what temp were your sticks at?

John

Thanks for the heads-up, just checked mine and didn't find any feces or holes and such, but then again my cigars are stored at 62f at the moment and have been since I received the box but during the summer that temp gets a lot closer to 70f, hopefully your situation is an isolated one. Good luck with it, the vendor should take care of it. By the way what temp were your sticks at?

John

I had just received them hours before inspecting them so it wasn't a storage issue on my end. The outside temperature here in Omaha hasn't been above 40 in months.

FAKES !!!!!

Everyone knows BGM's don't come with beetles

I had just received them hours before inspecting them so it wasn't a storage issue on my end. The outside temperature here in Omaha hasn't been above 40 in months.
Now that is troubling. I think it's about time to start a "How to Freeze Cigars Safely" thread. ???

Wilkey

MMMMMM Tasty! Burn 'em up, the faster the better.

I think it's about time to start a "How to Freeze Cigars Safely" thread. ???

Wilkey

Please try to keep it simple enough for me to understand this time, Wilkey. And under three pages if possible... :sign: ;)

A "How and Why To Freeze Your Cigars" sticky sounds like a grand idea.

x2... as a fellow newb, I feel this would be a valuable resource. The information already out there could be synthesized into an authoritative overview and procedure.

Those pictures give me the heebie jeebies (sp?).

Oh, and nice quarter, MOKI FANBOY!!!! :laugh:

JK

Those pictures give me the heebie jeebies (sp?).

Oh, and nice quarter, MOKI FANBOY!!!! :laugh:

JK
My thoughts exactly seeing as I have 2 boxes in my humi that I will not be inspecting for another 3 !/2 weeks...yikes!

Brian

I posted this in another thread, but am replicating it here since folks have asked about a safe method of freezing.

I place the box in a Ziploc bag, place them in a second Ziploc bag, and stick them in my freezer (standard kithcen appliance, nothing industrial) for three days. I then put them in the fridge for two days. I then put them in my walk-in for a day. I then remove the Ziplocs from the box. I wait at least a month (more usually three or four) before dipping into the smokes.

In my opinion, if you do these things, there will be no short or long term impact on the cigars. The most important things is to make sure the cigars are in as close to an airtight environment as possible when freezing/thawing. The only way the smokes will be damaged is if they dry out during the process.

I don't pretend to have the absolute best, foolproof method. But this one (and keeping my walk-in at 62 degrees) works for me.

Good luck.