• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Friend's brother took a round in Iraq today

But I see the difference between asking such a question and being morally lacking. Don't get me wrong I know why we should hold the members of our law enforcement and military in high esteem. But not everyone does. Lumberg asking wasn't wrong. And he even admitted that some of the PM conversations he had with other CP members made him realize why as well. But I still see him getting jumped on for it.

Being a moderator at two other forums (including one with over 10,000 members just makes me not like seeing flame wars or bullying in regards to someone posting their honest opinions out in the open.

Wurm said:
But I see the difference between asking such a question and being morally lacking. Don't get me wrong I know why we should hold the members of our law enforcement and military in high esteem. But not everyone does. Lumberg asking wasn't wrong. And he even admitted that some of the PM conversations he had with other CP members made him realize why as well. But I still see him getting jumped on for it.

Being a moderator at two other forums (including one with over 10,000 members just makes me not like seeing flame wars or bullying in regards to someone posting their honest opinions out in the open.
[snapback]242034[/snapback]​

I see him getting jumped in his original thread because the motivation for asking the question in the first place became increasingly clear as that thread developed. Curiosity is one thing - making a political statement for effect is quite another. The "flames" in that thread were people expressing their frustration with Lumberg not getting it. He still doesn't get it. And then he posts what he does in this thread? It's truly SAD...

My point: Lumberg - unless you understand what the sacrifice is, don't come in here and crap on the thread devoted to someone who is selflessly sacrificing themselves for you. It does nothing to honor their sacrifice. Post that political crap of yours somewhere else.... :angry:

Then again - I hope I'm not getting it wrong, Wurm. I hope this thread is not a political statement of what's going on in Iraq. That's now what I got and if it was - that also would do little to honor your friend's brothers sacrifice...

ggiese said:
Then again - I hope I'm not getting it wrong, Wurm. I hope this thread is not a political statement of what's going on in Iraq. That's now what I got and if it was - that also would do little to honor your friend's brothers sacrifice...
[snapback]242053[/snapback]​

This thread certainly isn't as far as I am concerned, I may not agree with the war in Iraq but I damn sure support the troops both there and in Afganistan (which I do agree with). I've lost too many good friends to be any other way. I'm just glad 2 of the 4 of my friends who are down in the war zone are coming home next week. I pray for them and all of our troops every day.

You can think George is an ASS and still support those in the services. More and more people are doing it every day. :whistling:

AVB said:
You can think George is an ASS and still support those in the services. More and more people are doing it every day. :whistling:
[snapback]242071[/snapback]​

I'm an ass? :0 Why is that?

I got it. AVB and BACCHUS being the main people whose reponses contained an intelligent, rational, calm and understandable explanation.

Let's move on.

Isn't it a generally accepted fact that war is hell, and not a political statement? If not I take it back.

Has your friend got to see his brother yet? Any updates?

Wurm said:
ggiese said:
[snapback]242053[/snapback]​

This thread certainly isn't as far as I am concerned, I may not agree with the war in Iraq but I damn sure support the troops both there and in Afganistan (which I do agree with). I've lost too many good friends to be any other way. I'm just glad 2 of the 4 of my friends who are down in the war zone are coming home next week. I pray for them and all of our troops every day.
[snapback]242062[/snapback]​

I don't agree with war in general - it would be great not to have any... Unfortunately, that's not reality.

I agree wholeheartedly - whether you support the war or not you damn sure better support and hold near and dear our soldier's doing what they're doing. Disagree with the politicians, if you choose, but leave the soldier's out of the politics...

My thoughts and prayers are with every one - including my relatives that are currently in Iraq serving me, my family, my community, and my country. :thumbs:

And to me - yes - it is VERY tragic when any are injured or killed doing their job. Much more so than when I'm programming a computer in an office, away from the dangers they face. Die from a paper cut related to computer programming - tragic. Die due to a roadside bomb in Iraq - extremely tragic - no comparison.

Last word I heard is he also has a broken pelvis...

so the bullet hit his leg... went up through his pelvis and entered his abdomen. I'm, hoping the leg and pelvis slowed it down enough that he didn't take to much damage to the gut. :-/ He will be out of action for a good long time thats for sure.

He was in surgery today, but the army is keeping my friend in Afganistan till tomorrow because he has to go to a debriefing :rolleyes: so he will be back home tomorrow night, I plan on driving him straight to the hospital when we pick him up in Rammstein.

I hate when stuff like that happens, they can get you in, in a hurry, but take forever to get you out.

ggiese said:
AVB said:
You can think George is an ASS and still support those in the services.  More and more people are doing it every day. :whistling:

[snapback]242075[/snapback]​

Cuz, you're just like the rest of us! Stop denying your true colors, you teabaggin' bastige! :laugh: :laugh:

stevehawk said:
ggiese said:
AVB said:

[snapback]242075[/snapback]​

Cuz, you're just like the rest of us! Stop denying your true colors, you teabaggin' bastige! :laugh: :laugh:
[snapback]242116[/snapback]​

I can see you're still sore... You had it coming... :p

But what have I done to AVB? ???

George he was talking about the other one Bush!

Just adding that my prayers and good wishes are with your friend and his family and the other guys serving over there. Got a friend from high school who should be going some time soon. Hopefully we'll get the job done soon. :thumbs:

i was trying to not to read this thread but can't stop, hope everything is alright with your friend, we have a son who lives with us now who was shot in iraq, and we are familiar with the feelings that the families go through, GOD speed!

UPDATE! He made it out of surgery just fine. Luckily the bullet was so slowed by the time it hit his abdomen it got stuck in the muscle and didn't damage any organs.

Hes looking at at least a year convolesence leave according to the doctors at Landstuhl, He will be medivaced back to the USA next week.

My friend is staying at Landstuhl with him right now and will be coming back to Grafenwöhr next week as well...

I'm so relieved! :)

Wurm said:
UPDATE! He made it out of surgery just fine. Luckily the bullet was so slowed by the time it hit his abdomen it got stuck in the muscle and didn't damage any organs.

Hes looking at at least a year convolesence leave according to the doctors at Landstuhl, He will be medivaced back to the USA next week.

My friend is staying at Landstuhl with him right now and will be coming back to Grafenwöhr next week as well...

[snapback]243302[/snapback]​

Excellent news.

Wurm said:

Glad to hear things are shaping up.

That's a lot of time to convalesce.

I just saw a piece on the local DC news tonight where all wounded vets get together for a free steak dinner at a local steakhouse every Friday here. The owner foots the bill. If he's spending any time at Walter Reed he should check it out. PM me and I can try to find out more details.

Lumberg said:
Wurm said:

Glad to hear things are shaping up.

That's a lot of time to convalesce.

I just saw a piece on the local DC news tonight where all wounded vets get together for a free steak dinner at a local steakhouse every Friday here. The owner foots the bill. If he's spending any time at Walter Reed he should check it out. PM me and I can try to find out more details.
[snapback]243329[/snapback]​

Lumby, I suggest you trot down there and spew some of the garbage at those guys at the steak house that you do here.

I think you would be in for a reality check.

Glad to hear that he is doing better and is heading stateside!