• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente higher end cigars... your suggestion

VotTak

Hi...
Reading through your posts about OpusX, Ashton VSG, Anejo, Hemingway, Cuesta-Rey and finaly decided to go for these higher end cigars from Fuente.
Now... as I live in NYC and we have 37% tabaco tax and high markup due to real estate etc... etc... What I really want is to spend my money wisely and, of course, as less as possible while getting aquainted with threse cigars.
I would really appreciate if you can give me some kind of list of suggested cigars which would represent abovenamed lines...
Thank you very much.

P.S. I also read that OpusX needs some aging. So, question is... How much aging needed? Another one would be... Do I need to age any other Fuente cigars? Or maybe some sticks are ready to go out of the box?

Any cigars from those lines are good. of course they all get better with age. Especially the Opus and Anejo lines. My favorite ones fresh are the VSGs.

Cuban Belicosos to me are a higher end fuente priced at the lower end, give em a shot if you havent already.

I think a good "starter kit" would be an OpusX in Robusto and one other, smaller (a "power ranger") or larger (Double Corona or Reserva D'Chateau) depending on your tastes, and a couple of Anejo's. I like the #48's.

That's four cigars that I think will give you something to go on.... :thumbs:

It'll be tough to do, but once you get them, a month or two of humi time really goes a long way in enhancing the flavor, IMHO.

Regards - B.B.S.

If you're still looking to try out different Fuente brands and vitolas, I'd suggest getting samplers, fivers online or dabble in a few trades first. Although I support my B&M's here in town, if i had a 33+% tax, I'd probably check out some online retailers first. I pretty much enjoy VSG's, Don Carlos, Hemingway and Opus across the board. Hemingways give you the most bang for your buck tho, IMHO. But honestly, you can't go wrong with any of these brands.

Figuring out what you like and want to buy more of is the best part of this hobby. And the good news is that the discovery phase never really ends.

Good luck! :D

I really like the Hemingways..
You can't go wrong with either "Short Stories" or "Best Sellers".
Both are great cigars.

I think the best way to sample them is to go out and buy one of each of these in a size you like...Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino sun grown, Diamond Crown Maximus, Don Carlos, Opus X and Ashton VSG. Then sit down and smoke them, take notes of what you like about them...and then buy a box of the one you like the best!

-Fetter

jman have you found a decent place online to buy hemmingways? I am looking to pick up more short stories but cant seem to find them. I know they are pricy so I am looking for the best deal I can find.

if you want to get these cigars as close to msrp+ (10% tob tax),we have opus,vsg,don carlos,hemingways, cuesta rey,diamond crown maximus,and sungrown fuentes all on the shelves at our shop. The opus wont last long,but all the others are stuff we have all the time. we do call in orders for a small shipping fee.

PM me or call the phone # in my profile for details :thumbs:

OutlawD said:
if you want to get these cigars as close to msrp+ (10% tob tax),we have opus,vsg,don carlos,hemingways, cuesta rey,diamond crown maximus,and sungrown fuentes all on the shelves at our shop. The opus wont last long,but all the others are stuff we have all the time. we do call in orders for a small shipping fee.

PM me or call the phone # in my profile for details :thumbs:
[snapback]240710[/snapback]​

Missouri is still pretty low on the tax rate aren't we. A local shop here is just like you are, MSRP + tobac tax plus sales tax. We smokers get hit hard. If it's mail order do you charge the sales tax...?

Sales tax for MO residents yes, if youre outside the state no sales tax is applied :D :D

As far as aging Opus, some people like them fresh for the spicy strength they offer. Others prefer aging them to round out their flavors.

Cigars like the Don Carlos, Hemingway, Ashton Cabinet, Cuesta Rey, Fuente Green band do not need any age to enjoy. The Ashton VSG is in the same category as the Opus because of it's strength and spicy flavors.

There are many vendors on line that sell without state taxes. There are also many that will sell singles and 5 packs so you can try a large variety of cigars.

One of my favorite vendors is www.regencycigar.com. Their prices are reasonable and their service is top notch.They sell singles and 5 packs without any taxes. Tell them Harris sent you.

Why don't you zip on in to NJ? There are plenty of shops (big-JR in Paramus, and small-lot's of B&M's) to shop at.
Or try on-line merchants. Some NY'ers have 'em shipped to buddies from out of state whom they meet up with regularly.

New Jersey has one of the worst tobacco taxes in the country,it is 48 percent if I am not mistaken. Much better to get an online source.

AaronFromPA said:
jman have you found a decent place online to buy hemmingways? I am looking to pick up more short stories but cant seem to find them. I know they are pricy so I am looking for the best deal I can find.
[snapback]240682[/snapback]​
Try here.
Prices are good and shipping is reasonable.

OutlawD said:
Sales tax for MO residents yes, if youre outside the state no sales tax is applied :D :D
[snapback]240764[/snapback]​

Currently there is an initiative to force online retailers to charge sales tax based on where the order is being shipped (within the US). Compliance at this point is suggested, but not required.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this enforced within the next 1-2 years.

The Master said:
New Jersey has one of the worst tobacco taxes in the country,it is 48 percent if I am not mistaken. Much better to get an online source.
[snapback]241139[/snapback]​

NJ has 30% tax... NY has 37%...
I guess NY is the worst

And still it will depend on greedeness of retailer. I saw 1 in NJ charging $180 for Short Stories.