• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

FYI New Jersey Residents

3 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
2 Members: Secret Santa, The Green Monkey

Edit-->Nevermind--I saw that Santa was looking at this thread at the same time I was and found it odd in light of Isy suggesting that someone here ratted him out, but instead of a weasel reading the thread incognito, it appears that it was just Santa making a wisecrack (unless it's a weasel making a wisecrack to throw a red herring...)

Like all retailers/wholesalers of tobacco in every state, all must provide monthly reports to the department of taxation along with a pretty fat tax check. What Ohio does with the info is Ohio's business. Asking/assuming Dan or anyone else not to report tobacco sales would be unethical, unlawfull and put his business in jeapordy. He's just like the rest of us squirrels trying to find a nut. Dan is one of the most reputable sources on the internet for cigars. If paying taxes are your issue I'm afraid you're SOL because eventually, all states will be on board to collect lost revenues to out-of-state sales. It happend to the textile industry and it will eventually happen to us. Go big Government!

Like all retailers/wholesalers of tobacco in every state, all must provide monthly reports to the department of taxation along with a pretty fat tax check. What Ohio does with the info is Ohio's business. Asking/assuming Dan or anyone else not to report tobacco sales would be unethical and unlawfull and put his business in jeapordy. He's just like the rest of us squirrels trying to find a nut. Dan is one of the most reputable sources on the internet for cigars. If paying taxes are your issue I'm afraid you're SOL because eventually, all states will eventually be on board to collect lost revenues to out-of-state sales. It happend to the textile industry and it will eventually happen to us. Go big Government!

We have been audited in the past and NEVER had to turn in the names of our customers. The state wants proof that the cigars were sold out of state. I never ASKED or ASSUMED that Mr. Punch should not report his sales. As I already said, we report our sales. Paying taxes IS NOT my issue. I pay them like everyone else. We comply with state law to the letter and pay our taxes to the penny.

Dan did not give any info to New Jersey. The state of Ohio requires him to report every month his sales. The state of Ohio traded the information with New Jersey. Maybe because Ohio wanted to bust anyone getting product from out of state like from New Jersey. NOT Dan's fault and I know he is not happy with the bullshit the state of Ohio is pulling.

Pete Johnson
Tatuaje Cigars Inc.

Dan did not give any info to New Jersey. The state of Ohio requires him to report every month his sales. The state of Ohio traded the information with New Jersey. Maybe because Ohio wanted to bust anyone getting product from out of state like from New Jersey. NOT Dan's fault and I know he is not happy with the bullshit the state of Ohio is pulling.

Pete Johnson
Tatuaje Cigars Inc.

Thanks for your input Pete. However, I was corresponding earlier with someone from NHC and they told me that the state of NJ got this info from Fedex, not the state of OH. They said that they valued it based on the declared value on the package. THis means, that if my customer bought a lighter from them, they are still being charged a cigar tax. THere's no way FEDEX knows exactly what was purchased. These are 2 different stories now. And I'm sure they're not happy about it. I wouldn't be either. But what you are telling me is not the story I got from them.

This is very intriguing indeed. Lots of different points of view, and cross information.

I am really hoping that it can all get sorted out.

This is huge for our NJ BNOTL

Tim

I don't see how he is required to inform the state of Ohio about individual out of state sales. Those sales are not taxable by the state and none of the states business. He is only trequired to inform the state of his gross sales number so they can tax HIM on his earnings!

He also is not responsible to report to the state of New Jersey his sales in that state. They can send him letters to ask but he is not required to answer.

It's funny that 2 manufacturers that are very heavily peddled on his site are here defending his business.

I'm not looking to argue with either of you because I enjoy both of your cigars and respect your businesses. I do find it interesting that you are both gung ho on defending a vendor that is known to have a questionable rep on these boards.

Pete Johnson
Tatuaje Cigars Inc.
Werd.

I don't see how he is required to inform the state of Ohio about individual out of state sales. Those sales are not taxable by the state and none of the states business. He is only trequired to inform the state of his gross sales number so they can tax HIM on his earnings!

He also is not responsible to report to the state of New Jersey his sales in that state. They can send him letters to ask but he is not required to answer.

It's funny that 2 manufacturers that are very heavily peddled on his site are here defending his business.

I'm not looking to argue with either of you because I enjoy both of your cigars and respect your businesses. I do find it interesting that you are both gung ho on defending a vendor that is known to have a questionable rep on these boards.

No worries jay -
I'm with Dan on the merits of his character, not because he hawkes my wares. Dan is a friend first and he's not the type of guy to go out of his way just to jam somebody up over something as small as sales tax. That's big brothers job.

What are you really implying here? I have my thoughts about where you are trying to go here, but they are jsut my thoughts, and of course I can not presume to know your mind.

I do think it is funny that you are making reference to a vendor issue that happened in Sep of 2007, and you did not join until almost a year later. You are rather new here IMHO to be throwing out vague innuendo. I will not be getting into a pissing contest over this, as I do not live in Ohio or NJ; I just wanted to voice my thoughts.

Tim

What are you really implying here? I have my thoughts about where you are trying to go here, but they are jsut my thoughts, and of course I can not presume to know your mind.

I do think it is funny that you are making reference to a vendor issue that happened in Sep of 2007, and you did not join until almost a year later. You are rather new here IMHO to be throwing out vague innuendo. I will not be getting into a pissing contest over this, as I do not live in Ohio or NJ; I just wanted to voice my thoughts.

Tim
I think he has a valid point, and his time on here has nothing to do with having an opinion on something. He is right, this happens and Pete comes out of nowhere. I'm not saying Pete is doing something wrong, it just raises suspicions obviously. Since I've been here for a while how about I say it instead since he isn't allowed to?

Tim

Fair enough and you have your rights to your thoughts. I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest with anyone either but just because someone is newer then another doesn't make him unable to post his opinion. I hope we can both agree on that.

While I was not around at the time that all that went down I have read the threads regarding the situation. The vendor in question was banned for that situation as well. Now the same vendor is being called into question for circumstances that mirror what he was accused of originally. I don't want to get into specifics because it does no good to anyone.

I wasn't saying anything about Dion or Pete other than they are both heavily peddled on his site and have an interest to protect any business selling their wares and rightfully so.

If I offended either of them I apologize as I really do like their products and respect them both.

What, exactly is the valid point?

I never said he could not post his opinion, hell, that is what we do here.
I just voiced my opinion about it, that is all.

Tim

Edit to add: This is a bit late, took to long to type a short reply.

What, exactly is the valid point?

I never said he could not post his opinion, hell, that is what we do here.
I just voiced my opinion about it, that is all.

Tim
The point that he came out of nowhere, like i said. His time on the board has nothing to do with it. Ease up a bit bro. :)

Guys, there are certain states that require that all information on the out of state sale be given including name and address. To prove that it was an out of state sale so the vendor does not have to pay that tax. I know this is strange coming from me, but if Ohio has that reporting requirement Dan had no choice. Pete and Dion are just trying to defend what is right in this case. Ohio is very strict on their requirements and if they require this he must do it. It just so happens that some states do share information and New Jersey asks all states to share.

Al

Bump.....PEOPLE NEED TO BE AWARE THAT THERE ARE RETAILERS OUT THERE PULLING THIS CRAP!!!

There is one B&M that I continuously go back to not because the have the lowest prices (trust me they don't) but because, quite frankly, they want my business and they create a friendly atmosphere. If any place I shopped at did that to me. I would make sure to create hell for them, writing a letter to the newspaper for example. :angry:

Pete Johnson
Tatuaje Cigars Inc.

Thanks for your input Pete. However, I was corresponding earlier with someone from NHC and they told me that the state of NJ got this info from Fedex, not the state of OH. They said that they valued it based on the declared value on the package. THis means, that if my customer bought a lighter from them, they are still being charged a cigar tax. THere's no way FEDEX knows exactly what was purchased. These are 2 different stories now. And I'm sure they're not happy about it. I wouldn't be either. But what you are telling me is not the story I got from them.

If that's the case, We have a problem with FedEx also. I believe this goes for every shipping company except USPS which doesn't have anything set up to track these things. I have heard many stories in the past about UPS reporting to the state of California and people getting tax bills from the state on cigar purchases. The fact that the package is coming from a company with Cigars in the name would be a reason for New Jersey to flag the shipment and charge taxes on it. No matter what's in it. New Jersey just wants money and that has nothing to do with Dan. These cases are also the reason that many online cigar stores are shipping only with USPS. Not sure why you have it out for Dan but he is not the problem. Like Dion said, GO BIG GOVERNMENT!

What Al said is also very true and spot on. We have had conversations about this in the past. I know he knows what he is talking about when it comes to this kind of bullshit.

BTW, I never talked to Dan today, I was going off of a past problem he had with Ohio trading information.