• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

George Washington Eggnog

This does sound like a good recipe. I'll definitely be using this recipe this year.

Yes, it was found in Mt. Vernon and is as he wrote it except for the amount of eggs. His recipe didn't specify how many eggs to use.

Is this really from President Washingtons library?

Unbelievable, that is really neat. I will have to make it just to try it out of historical curiosity. I always marvel to my wife how amazing it is that all the old alcoholic beverages are so impressive I They were drinking Guiness in 1759 and scotch recipes have been around for hundreds of years as well.

They may have had bad teeth and died young but at least they drank well. :sign:

Bump so it is easy to find this tomorrow morning when I am whipping this together for our Holiday Party Friday evening. :whistling:

It's that time of year and it's definitely worth a bump.

I have never been a fan of Eggnog. However, just about everything else sounds great. I had a question, does this have the "normal" taste of Eggnog or is it worth a shot even if I do not like the "regular" eggnog taste? Let me know

David

It does taste like egg nog, just not as "egg noggy", if that makes any sense...

I will say this. I absolutely hate the store bought egg nog in the cartons. I have been looking forward to making this again since last Christmas. I am so excited to make what will likely be my 6th batch in the two years I've been on CP and had the concoction.

This stuff is the shiznit. :thumbs:

I have never been a fan of Eggnog. However, just about everything else sounds great. I had a question, does this have the "normal" taste of Eggnog or is it worth a shot even if I do not like the "regular" eggnog taste? Let me know

That is/was my only hangup as well. When I was a kid I LOVED egg nog. Mom bought me a carton every year. When I was 12 or so I got sick once and had just drank some egg nog. Since then I haven't been able to buy any. Actually I bought a small carton a couple years ago and it was just ok.

But I've never had egg nog the "adult" way with booze in it. Sounds like I've been missing out.

I think I'm going to copy this recipe down and try it. It's cool just from the historical standpoint alone.

Thanks AVB!

Just for fun: Discuss your favorite brands of liquor you like to use in the recipe.

I'm making up a batch for Christmas.

1 pint brandy (8oz or 1 cup)
1/2 pint rye whiskey (4oz or 1/2 cup)
1/2 pint Jamaica rum (4oz or 1/2 cup)
1/4 pint sherry (4oz or 1/2 cup)[/color]
8-10 eggs
12 Tbsp sugar
1 qt milk
1 qt heavy cream

Mix liquors first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs. Beat yolks and add sugar, mixing well. Add liquor to mixture slowly, continuing to beat. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Chill thoroughly.

Ray, 1 pint = 16 oz or 2 cups, not the 8oz/1C you have listed in the recipe. Which one is the correct measurement?

8-10 eggs
12 Tbsp sugar
1 qt milk
1 qt heavy cream

Mix liquors first, then separate yolks and whites of eggs. Beat yolks and add sugar, mixing well. Add liquor to mixture slowly, continuing to beat. Add milk and cream, slowly beating. Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture. Chill thoroughly.

Ray, 1 pint = 16 oz or 2 cups, not the 8oz/1C you have listed in the recipe. Which one is the correct measurement?

Wow, good point it took how many years for someone to catch that :whistling:

which will also affect the 1/2 and 1/4 pint as well since its 8oz not 4 oz

David

Well, doubling the "nog" is a good thing, right? :whistling:

I might have to get ambitious and give that a shot sometime, but ordinarily, I just pour a shot or three of Barenjager into a rocks glass of Promised Land eggnog . . . organic dairy, much better than the glutinous store brand stuff.

~Boar

My first time making it, I used the measurements in pints and found it to be too strong. The next time I used the amounts in parentheses and it was much better for my tastes.

The original recipe was with the pints. I should have explained that the parenthetical amounts were for a weaker version. I'll fix it.

8-10 eggs
12 Tbsp sugar
1 qt milk
1 qt heavy cream

My first time making it, I used the measurements in pints and found it to be too strong. The next time I used the amounts in parentheses and it was much better for my tastes.

I'm making up a batch for Christmas. The original recipe is in pints and is pretty strong. A more civil version is in parentheses.

1/4 pint sherry (4oz or 1/2 cup)
8-10 eggs
12 Tbsp sugar
1 qt milk
1 qt heavy cream

What girly man would want to weaken this wonderful tradition? I have served this for quite a few parties now, and even the ladies love it, or maybe that is me they can't get enough of. :love:

I just made this and used the wussified version since my girlfriend is not big booze. I was skeptical while making it just because it didn't seem like there were enough ingredients to make this taste similar to store bought Nog but as I went through the steps it started smelling more and more delicious.

I really like it and may make a side batch of the other half of the liquor mixture to add shots to the Nog for party goers looking for a stiffer drink.