• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting Used to Whiskey

bigvinnysd

Cigar Intern
I don't know if im the only one, but, being fairly new to drinking non-mixed drinks, I was wondering how you get used to the taste? I'm used to taking shots, and drinking mixed drinks like manhattans, whiskey sours, etc. I've only tried Jack on the rocks, and some other scotch on new years one year, but I don't know how to make it taste good. I like the taste of whiskey but the harshness of it makes me shy away.. does anyone have any tips for this, or is it just an acquired taste that i'll have to get used to over the years?
Thanks... I'm looking forward to being able to pick out flavor nuances, and maybe even enjoy a cigar with a good "beginner whiskey"

I started drinking my whiskey straight a few years ago. Before that, I was drinking mixed with soft drinks, juice and tonic. Now, anything mixed has a terrible taste. Try starting with something mild, 80 proof and add an ice cube or two to soften the whiskey. Once you get used to drinking without the sweet mix, you will appreciate the flavor. Also remember, it is called sipping whiskey.

Ken

I personally enjoy Lagavulin 16yr the most out of all the scotch whiskys.
Whisky is one of those things either you like it or you don’t. With the price tag on some of the ‘better’ scotches out there, it could become quite an expensive trial. :whistling:
If you are really interested in becoming a whisky drinker (I only drink scotch whisky so that is what I will comment on) I would recommend sampling bottles from various regions as well as some blends.

Lagavulin 16yr – Islay
Talisker 10yr - Skye
Oban 14yr - Highland
Cragganmore 12 year – Speyside
Johnnie Walker Black – Blend
Johnnie Walker Gold – Blend

I enjoy the Islay malts more then any other as they are filled with smokey, peaty flavors that go very well with cigars.

The Cragganmore and Johnnie Walkers would probably be a good starting point. That is of course, unless you want to experience the Islay malts, such as Lagavulin, Laphroig, Bowmore or the $20 McClelland Islay. Those pack a completely different taste then any other scotch.
It’s not to much different then cigars, you like what you like, to each his own...
Good luck and happy hunting :thumbs:

Shots aren't the way to drink good whisky...IMHO.

I'd always liked coke and whisky, but it dawned on me one day that it really was the taste of the whisky I was after. I started with a couple of cubes and a splash of water. Pretty soon, just the cubes. Not long after that, just the whisky... :laugh:

Key here is that it needs to be a good whisky. Much like good wines, good whisky has a ton of complexity and various tastes in it; just have to look for them. Hiding them behind a splash of soda pop hides the complexity of a good beverage.

To each his own, but I'll have mine neat, please..... :thumbs:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Good point BBS.
In my opinion neat is really the only way to go. Maybe you add a small amount of ice, however that is it.
The way I figure it, you are paying for the whisky, drink the whisky...the whole whisky and nothing but the whisky. ;)

How do you know which brands are good... price? And which ones match to which cigars... and how do you know which alcohol to drink... single malt, blended, rum, brandy

How do you know which brands are good... price? And which ones match to which cigars... and how do you know which alcohol to drink... single malt, blended, rum, brandy

That my friend is the best part, after trying some you will come up with some general ideas but the fun part is trial and error or I guess trial and refinement since you can never really go wrong with a fine whiskey and delicious cigar.

CYG

I was once like you...couldn't understand why people liked whiskey or bourbon.

I started with a drink called the "Old Fashioned"...after that I was hooked.

Now I like drinking whiskeys and bourbons straight on ice.
Granted, I'm not drinking the high-end stuff...but I started liking them.

I think it's time to send in the Marines. ;) :laugh:

Doc.

...some like maduros, some prefer natural wrappers; some like red wine, some like white...see where I'm going? I can tell you what I like, but it may not be what you like.... :cool:

I can tell you what's in the cabinet at home right now....YMMV:
- Wild Turkey 101
- Dalmore "Cigar Malt"
...two good recommendations, right there. Try the Turkey with a couple of cubes (I prefer it neat) and the Dalmore, neat.

A couple of others that I've had lately were the Dalmore 12YO and Bulleit Bourbon. Both are great sippers.... :thumbs:

Other stuff I have around -
- Bombay "Sapphire" (got to have something to wash those little pickled onions down with, right..??.. :p )
- Bacardi Dark Rum - when I want something to mix with Coke
- Two scotch's from AVB's last buy; the Carol Ila "Cigar Malt" and a bottle of Cheiftain's "Cigar Malt". Unmolested, as of yet (too damn hot lately).

Like I said - the joy is in the discovery.

Have fun - B.B.S.

If you can't get used to whiskey try some Ron Zapaca 23 Anos Rum. IMHO it has a taste that is easier than whiskey to get used to. I try to keep a bottle of it on hand at all times. It is really smooth sipped neat.

...some like maduros, some prefer natural wrappers; some like red wine, some like white...see where I'm going? I can tell you what I like, but it may not be what you like.... :cool:

I can tell you what's in the cabinet at home right now....YMMV:
- Wild Turkey 101
- Dalmore "Cigar Malt"
...two good recommendations, right there. Try the Turkey with a couple of cubes (I prefer it neat) and the Dalmore, neat.

A couple of others that I've had lately were the Dalmore 12YO and Bulleit Bourbon. Both are great sippers.... :thumbs:

Other stuff I have around -
- Bombay "Sapphire" (got to have something to wash those little pickled onions down with, right..??.. :p )
- Bacardi Dark Rum - when I want something to mix with Coke
- Two scotch's from AVB's last buy; the Carol Ila "Cigar Malt" and a bottle of Cheiftain's "Cigar Malt". Unmolested, as of yet (too damn hot lately).

Like I said - the joy is in the discovery.

Have fun - B.B.S.

You can confess your love for White Zinfandel BBS, I promise I won't abuse you ..... not too much at least ;)

:sign:

:cool:

I always used to drink my bourbonwith coke,and had the worst hangovers, then my 70 yr old grandmother told me it was foolish to drink bourbon mixed. She said if you drank your bourbon with water you wouldn't have a hangover. She said you just have to go out and get drunk on it one night, forcing yourself to not mix it. So I did and I now I drink it that way all the time. As for scotch, I drank my first scotch the other night, half a bottle of Balvenie 25yr old, neat, phew it was sweet tasting, but i forced myself to continue, so who knows maybe I will aquire that taste. It was almost remided me of a B&B straight up. Oh well I will leave the scotch to those who know it better than I.

Good luck and I would suggest Woodford on the rock with a splash of water.

Try Buffalo Trace or Buillet. They're cheap(er), still really good, and go with neat or with a few cubes. You can also find them a lot of places, especially Buillet.

I'll have to add this to my request list the next time someone of legal age goes on a run for me ;) Thank God I only have to put up with that for one more year..
Thanks all for your responses.

Uh-oh, are there some opponents to underage drinking? It's college! I turn 20 next week.. :cool: :thumbs:
Besides... The legal age really should be 18 like everywhere else in the world. Still don't agree that you can fight and die for your country but can't legally have a drink. (not that I'm in the service, but I have many friends in the Marines and Navy) But, personal choice.
Just my $0.02...

There's drinking in college? :0 Damn, what else did I miss as a commuter. I thought it was called ZooMass because of the excellent animal husbandry program.

bigvinny- I'll do a packi run for you. You just have to drive 3,000 miles to pick up the stuff at my house.