• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Had my first glass of Scotch last night.

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
It wasn't what I expected :sign:

I guess I've never been a whiskey/scotch drinker before. I've always enjoyed mixed drinks (Rum/Coke, Jack/Coke, etc). Is this something I'll have to get used to? I'm thinking it's like when I first drank coffee or beer. It wasn't enjoyable, but the more I drank the more I really started to enjoy it.

Any one else experience this?

It wasn't what I expected :sign:

I guess I've never been a whiskey/scotch drinker before. I've always enjoyed mixed drinks (Rum/Coke, Jack/Coke, etc). Is this something I'll have to get used to? I'm thinking it's like when I first drank coffee or beer. It wasn't enjoyable, but the more I drank the more I really started to enjoy it.

Any one else experience this?

OH YEAAH!!

Took me years to figure out what there was to like about brown liquor. I figured out bourbon, then after about a half dozen or so Johnnie Walker Tastings I got the hang of Scotch. I really think it's an acquired taste, so keep at it!

I'm a bourbon guy, straight-up with an ice cube.
I love small batch bourbon, not really a scotch fan.

Thanks guys.

To me, it just tasted like alcohol and I guess I just haven't acquired a taste for that yet. I'll keep at it.

So what, exactly, did you try? Some are just not the best for a novice scotch drinker.

Thanks guys.

To me, it just tasted like alcohol and I guess I just haven't acquired a taste for that yet. I'll keep at it.

I took to bourbon like a baby takes to air. I'd take it to nearly anything though I do love gin and tequilla. I couldn't appreciate scotch at all. But I'm not a quitter so I kept it up. I am just now, after three or four years, able to pick up the subtle nuances that AVB is always talking about. I still have to read the review as I taste to get it. Still, alcohol in some scotch can make me wince.

To me it was just like when I started to love coffee and enjoy the better beans. Try diluting it a bit with a little water and maybe an ice cube which will tame the alcohol. Sooner then later you will find yourself leaving the ice out and starting to really enjoy all of the nuances that you have learned to discern.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I started drinking scotch by mixing a little with ginger ale, then moving on to mixing a little with water. This allowed me to develop the taste for the scotch, without overpowing my senses with the alcohol taste. Anyway, after I began to enjoy just the scotch even more, I switched to drinking it on the rocks. Now, I typically just have scotch on the rocks for my first drink, then switch to neat if I am drinking something good (Macallan 18 comes to mind), and stick to the rocks if it's Macallan 12 or something comparable.

I would have had a hard time jumping right to drinking single malts neat.

I put 2 ice cubes in it and I could tell it somewhat mellowed it out. I guess I'll just have to find a reason to buy and try more :laugh:

As I said in my review, ".....but it isn't something to just sit and sip by itself,..."

Scotch is an acquired taste so the next time you go back to it try it over an ice cube or two. After that try a shot of water to 2 or 3 shots of scotch, then try it neat at room temperature. Maybe you'll find a combination you'll like, maybe not.

It is an acquired taste, I would try some Glenfiddich 12yr, this seems to be a good place to start, and you did the right thing by putting some ice cubes in your drink. Cigars and scotch is like peanut butter and jelly, they really do seem to be the perfect paring.
If you can enjoy cigars and know the flavors you are tasting in the cigar, then you have the ability to do the same in various adult beverages, albeit scotch, wine, rum, tequilla or whatever.
Give it another try though and then formulate a decision from there.

I remember my first time!! How sweet it was and continues to be. As all the above posts say, it takes time to educate the pallete. I do enjoy fine scotch, but I suspect my preference is for bourbon. But as someone said, "It is all good"!!! Take your time to explore and taste. No rush here. Enjoy your journey as the getting there to what you like is as much fun as finding it. :cool:

Did you smoke a cigar with the scotch? Like AVB and probably many others, I am not a big fan of Dalmore's Cigar Malt without a cigar.

I would have recommended something else as a first ever scotch.

I'm with ya freebern. I just can't get the taste of liquor.

I'm with ya freebern. I just can't get the taste of liquor.

Glad I'm not the only sissy around here :laugh:

The thing is, I want to badly, because I hear how much it can enhance the taste of a cigar. But whenever I drink it, it just makes me shake my head like a dog smelling fingernail polish remover.

I use to do shots in college, like anyone else, and I loved a nice rum and coke. But I never enjoyed anything straight up for sipping. I think the tastes bring back memories of passing out on sidewalks.

The thing is, I want to badly, because I hear how much it can enhance the taste of a cigar. But whenever I drink it, it just makes me shake my head like a dog smelling fingernail polish remover.

I use to do shots in college, like anyone else, and I loved a nice rum and coke. But I never enjoyed anything straight up for sipping. I think the tastes bring back memories of passing out on sidewalks.

I get the same damn reaction. I guess I'll have to force myself to slowly start to enjoy it.