• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Had my first glass of Scotch last night.

Definitely an acquired taste. I like the recommendation of Glenfiddich 12. Very smooth and easy drinking. As with cigars not everyone likes the same drink. A friend brought over a bottle of Walker Red the other night which he thought was decent. I thought it was swill.

The thing is, I want to badly, because I hear how much it can enhance the taste of a cigar. But whenever I drink it, it just makes me shake my head like a dog smelling fingernail polish remover.

I use to do shots in college, like anyone else, and I loved a nice rum and coke. But I never enjoyed anything straight up for sipping. I think the tastes bring back memories of passing out on sidewalks.

I get the same damn reaction. I guess I'll have to force myself to slowly start to enjoy it.

:laugh: Okay, I can remember having the same reaction many years ago as well.

It sounds like your having a tough time training your palate to make the transition from a sweeter style of drink (young palate) to a more complex one. Begin the transition with your brain and sense of smell first, train your nose to appreciate the aroma/bouquet of the liquer. Pour yourself a small amount, swirl it in the glass to release the esters and sniff your drink more than drinking it. When you do take a sip make it a very small one, just enough to coat the tongue, and then concentrate on what characteristics your tasting. If need be, keep a bottle of water nearby and take a sip of the water after the alcohol to lessen the burn and allow you to discern the tastes on your palate. Soon you'll begin to notice more of an appreciation for the aroma and you'll be able to take larger sips with less and less need of the water chaser.

This has worked for me in the past, hope it helps.

:cool:

It sounds like your having a tough time training your palate to make the transition from a sweeter style of drink (young palate) to a more complex one. Begin the transition with your brain and sense of smell first, train your nose to appreciate the aroma/bouquet of the liquer. Pour yourself a small amount, swirl it in the glass to release the esters and sniff your drink more than drinking it. When you do take a sip make it a very small one, just enough to coat the tongue, and then concentrate on what characteristics your tasting. If need be, keep a bottle of water nearby and take a sip of the water after the alcohol to lessen the burn and allow you to discern the tastes on your palate. Soon you'll begin to notice more of an appreciation for the aroma and you'll be able to take larger sips with less and less need of the water chaser.

Thanks ya LUSH!

I think I came out of the womb with a glass of Scotch in hand. Some of my first tastings of Scotch was when I was a kid as our parents would throw a big bash every year for the Boiler Maker/Blacksmiths for the Omaha UPRR Shop so we always got a little booze. One would think someone raised that way would become a raging alcoholic, yet many decades later i still just enjoy a glass once every couple of months. I know many that hate Scotch, but I just simply love it above all other alcohol. Some have been aquired tastes through my travels in Scotch while others was great off the first sip. So you are definitely not alone in this matter. I wished I could find the first real Islay Scotch I had in Scotland. It was enough to make one gag as it was so peaty and smoky. :laugh:

Deinitely an aquired taste. I like the recommendation of Glenfiddich 12. Very smooth and easy drinking. As with cigars not everyone likes the same drink. A friend brought over a bottle of Walker Red the other night which he thought was decent. I thought it was swill.

Glad to hear you took the plunge. Something else to spend your money on I guess. I am sure it is on the list, but I would definitely recommend the Double Wood! It is pretty sweet and smooth. I really enjoy it!

Brandon

I've recently started to drink single malts these past few months. And a month before that started to smoke cigars as well. Beer was my choice of alcohol and going to the occasional scotch was a big change in flavor. I started out by buying any of the mini bar size bottles I could find just to try out the different brands.
The first time I added a small ice cube to help and chose a bottle that according to the store, was somewhere in the middle/lighter side of single malts (Glenlivet 12 yr.). There is a huge difference in type of flavor the different scotches offer. I found that the tips mentioned earlier in the post had helped me ease into and learn to like some of the milder scotches.

So, did the women around you get better looking?

A friend of mine email this to me today. (Cut and pasted)

'Beer goggles' effect explained

Scientists believe they have worked out a formula to calculate how "beer goggles" affect a drinker's vision.

The drink-fuelled phenomenon is said to transform supposedly "ugly" people into beauties - until the morning after.

Researchers at Manchester University say while beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder, the amount of alcohol consumed is not the only factor.

Additional factors include the level of light in the pub or club, the drinker's own eyesight and the room's smokiness.

The distance between two people is also a factor.

They all add up to make the aesthetically-challenged more attractive, according to the formula.

The formula can work out a final score, ranging from less than one - where there is no beer goggle effect - to more than 100.

Nathan Efron, Professor of Clinical Optometry at the University of Manchester, said: "The beer goggles effect isn't solely dependent on how much alcohol a person consumes, there are other influencing factors at play too.

"For example, someone with normal vision, who has consumed five pints of beer and views a person 1.5 metres away in a fairly smoky and poorly lit room, will score 55, which means they would suffer from a moderate beer goggle effect."

The research was commissioned by eyecare firm Bausch & Lomb PureVision.

A poll showed that 68% of people had regretted giving their phone number to someone to whom they later realised they were not attracted.

A formula rating of less than one means no effect. Between one and 50 the person you would normally find unattractive appears less "visually offensive".

Non-appealing people become suddenly attractive between 51 and 100. At more than 100, someone not considered attractive looks like a super model.

beergoggle.jpg

edited to fix image

I’m not really a big scotch guy myself. I can drink it no problem I just don’t get much out of it. I do like a few sipping whisky’s though. I think its because whisky’s tend to have a sweeter taste to them.

I'm with Loren on this one. The first scotch I ever had I was hooked, and it was Cutty!!! Now that I've had good scotch I'm suprised I ever tried it again after the first one.

Very well said.

I jumped into the Single Malt world straight up, no rocks. It was a shock, but I hung in there. My first purchase was a bottle of Balvenie 15 yr. Good, but nothing earth shattering (from what I remember). In January, I had my first taste of Macallan 18 yr and I was hooked. A few weeks later, on MLK's B-Day, I went and sampled several various SM's at a local bar. That was the best thing that I did, because it allowed me to taste three differenct SM's at a very low cost. In the last three weeks, I have purchased the following: Macallan 12 yr, Bruchladdich 10 yr, Highland Park 12 yr, Scapa 14 yr and Macallan 15 yr Fine Oak. I love all of them, even the Highland Park which has a little bit of iodine.

As most have said, it is an acquired taste. I am 45 years old and I have just jumped into the abyss that is SM. I would suggest starting with something smoother and sweeter. Try the Macallan 12 yr or 15 yr Fine Oak or the Bruchladdich 10 yr, which I find very soft and floral. Sample them if you can at a bar/restaurant. Add water, rocks, water chasers or anything else that will help you to drink the scotch. Take your time and continue sampling. Eventually you will find something that agrees with your taste buds and then you are off to the races.

Good luck on your journey.

Be nearsighted, have 5 shots in a moderately smokey room while standing 2 meters away from somebody with an initial interest of 75 and it doesn't change that much going to only 77.9 ;) However, have that 6th shot and it goes to 112!

beergoggle.jpg

edited to fix image

Hey Brandon;

There are so many completely different flavors that you shouldn't quit without giving it a few more tries.

Start with the more mundane but still flavorful. Have you tried Balmoral and Aberlour 10 or 15yr or a'bunadh? Also, many age them in wine casks like Burgundy, Port, or Sherry.

Just so he understands, Balmoral isn't a Scotch, it is a drink made with scotch.

1 jigger scotch
1/2 shot sweet vermouth
1/2 shot dry vermouth
2 shakes bitters

Have you tried Balmoral and Aberlour 10 or 15yr or a'bunadh?

Edit: OK, I spoke too soon, there is a repackaged Scotch sold at the Balmoral Castle gift shop but is isn't a separate or distinct distillery.

As a used up liquor salesman turned chef, you can learn to drink anything! I am partial to bourbon, but enjoy single malts often. The thing to remember with scotch is that there are two basic kinds, highland (flowery, heather) and lowland (smokey and peaty) the highlands are easy to drink and light (like a good Macanudo) and the lowlands are deep rich and complex (like a good maduro). It will take a while to get past the "all it tastes like is alcohol" stage, but you will find the doors will open to you over time.

Mark

You seem to have forgotten the Islay/Island/Speyside whisky completely and since there are only 3 lowland distilleries still producing with none being known for being smoky or peaty I'd like to know where you got your information. IMO this is the worst kind of advice because all your facts are wrong. :angry:

The thing to remember with scotch is that there are two basic kinds, highland (flowery, heather) and lowland (smokey and peaty) the highlands are easy to drink and light (like a good Macanudo) and the lowlands are deep rich and complex (like a good maduro).

Mark

I love Scotch from the first glass. I only drink my scotch neat. I can't water it down or use ice. I've always drank it neat. However, I find that when you take a nice shot and let it sit on the tongue then take a small breath some of the wonderful flavors come out. However, after that it's straight drinking.

Lopaka

The thing to remember with scotch is that there are two basic kinds, highland (flowery, heather) and lowland (smokey and peaty) the highlands are easy to drink and light (like a good Macanudo) and the lowlands are deep rich and complex (like a good maduro). It will take a while to get past the "all it tastes like is alcohol" stage, but you will find the doors will open to you over time.

Mark

Wow..just simply WOW. Having been to Scotland 2 times and to the Scottish Whisky Heritage Museum twice in Edinburgh, that isn't what they told us. Highland, Lowland, Speyside, Islay/Island.

I never had to wait for the Single Malt Scotch door to open. I was hooked off the first sip of Scotch. :thumbs:

You seem to have forgotten the Islay/Island/Speyside whisky completely and since there are only 3 lowland distilleries still producing with none being known for being smoky or peaty I'd like to know where you got your information. IMO this is the worst kind of advice because all your facts are wrong. :angry:

The thing to remember with scotch is that there are two basic kinds, highland (flowery, heather) and lowland (smokey and peaty) the highlands are easy to drink and light (like a good Macanudo) and the lowlands are deep rich and complex (like a good maduro).

Mark

My most humble apologies if I am wrong. My info may be out dated as I havent been in the industry for 10+ years :blush: . Please tell me Talisker is still producing inthe Isle of Skye ( I think). a great Peaty one IMH(often wrong) O.

Mark