• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Half Smoked Cigar Back in Humidor

Cigar FF

Last week, I had not finished the cigar I was smoking. My wife as charming as she is, decided that where I left it was not a good spot and with good intent, placed it back into my humidor. It was in there for less than a day and my humidor still smells of this cigar. It was not flavored, just a medium-full stick.

Also, I noticed my Heartfelt beads have a brownish color to them now. I've tried spraying them to see if they would "clear" up but they have not. I have not smoked a cigar out of the humidor since so I don't think any of them are ruined.

Do I need to replace the beads or will they hold the odor of the half smoked cigar? Do I have to worry about the remaining cigars? Not that the odor is terrible but I don't know if this has somehow damaged the beads. Humidity still seems to be holding but I want to be sure I have nothing to worry about.

Throw it all away including the humidor and start over my friend, or live. with the smell/off flavor.

Ouch.  That hurts.

Like jfields wrote, it may be better to chuck it and start over if the smell is going to bother you.  Smell may go away after a long period of time, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The cigars will probably taste fine.  I would try one and if it tastes okay, buy a tupperware with a boveda pack and keep it separate from any new cigars that you would buy.

From what I know of the beads, it's probably not damaged, but that off color means that the smoke particles contaminated it.  It's probably going to be putting off odors for a very long time.

Thanks guys. Luckily, I am using Tupperware as my primary humidor as it has held the humidity better than any of the humidors I've used. I plan on lighting one up tomorrow from the contaminated humidor.

Thankfully I don't smoke the flavored ones otherwise I suspect it would be a larger problem. The smell doesn't bother me as much. I just wanted to be sure the beads didn't get messed up somehow. I will heed the advice and ditch the beads and put new ones in.

My wife has been banned from being within 10' of my humidor unless I am watching her lol

I'm very thankful I don't have a taste for the flavored stuff otherwise I think I would be in more of a jam as the flavor would have infused in the remaining sticks. Also in my favor was low stock. There are only about 15 or so cigars in my humidor right now. Nothing too exotic remaining. I'll be smoking one shortly so I'll know if there is anything that came from leaving that half smoked cigar in there.

The beads still smell like the cigar so I am going to replace those as well today. I think I'm alright but was not sure about the beads and if I had damaged them or not. Several lessons learned here..lol thanks again guys.

Let it all air out. My ex did the same thing. It took a while, but the odors will dissipate. The cigar should be placed in a 70-72 container that will hold a cigar box that is well seasoned. The container should be about 2X larger than the box. Open the container and cigar box every or every other day for about 15-30 minutes until you can't detect any more odor. Try placing the beads in the sun, on a window sill. Spread them out as thin as possible. Hopefully they will eventually release any of the molecules causing the odor. 

So I smoked a cigar the other day out of the humidor and did not notice any flavor from the half smoked cigar left in there. Unfortunately, I tossed all of the beads and replaced them with new ones. I think the saving grace was that I am using a tuppador instead of a cedar humidor. Certainly, a lesson learned. 

Modo, thanks for the link. I admit, I did not use the search feature this time but I did search a few different areas manually before posting. I'm sure it gets annoying seeing the same questions posted over and over. Although, my bigger concern was with the beads being ruined. 

Thanks again guys. I thoroughly enjoy learning from this community. 

I hope you didn't get mad at your wife, because then you would have to get a new wife as well!

All kidding aside since it was a tuppador, you could have just tossed it and started again. Just for a note of reference, the beads will yellow with age.

Lmao There are plenty of other reasons to get aggravated at her but she meant well. She could have just thrown it out so I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. I think I'm going to keep her..

I had those beads in there for well over a year and they were still looking good. They were noticibly brownish after this event and I figured that it would just hold the odor and potentially pass that odor to the cigars in there.

I know that tuppadors are not fancy but they work great. Had this been a fancy humidor I purchased, I'm sure my sentiments would have been more aggressive...lol all in all, it's ok.