• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Havana update

Johnny-O!

Havana did not get hit too bad by the hurricane. A few problems are on the horizon. Food is scarce and at a premium, but that will probably be short term. The southern/eastern cities have a housing problem and the food issue is more amplified. You will probably see a parade towards Havana for those looking for better working and housing conditions. The pig roast and Christmas tree might be kinda skinny this year. But the issue that has most people stressed out is the overnight increase (9/8/08) in gasoline from $3.07/gal to $5.43/gal for 80 octane and $4.49/gal to $7.09/gal for the premium stuff (the kind you are required to use in the rental car). The saturday I was there I saw the streets pretty bare. Now the major concern is that more price increases are on the way for general consumption items, hopefully they'll lay off the cigars. Now I did see one positive thing, they have a lot of double decker tour buses (like the ones used in England) A/C on the bottom, open air on the top you can ride it all day for $5. The route is from Marina Hemingway to downtown points of interest and then on to Playa Santa Maria (Playas del Este) or Havanas eastern beaches. I had seen these a while back, but was not sure of the routes. That ride to Sta. Maria and back for $5 is a bargain, plus you can smoke and drink on the roof!. That will probably be an awesome ride on the roof December-March. They had a website for the times and stopping points, I'll try to post that later. John

Thanks for the update John, please keep us in the loop on the condition of things down there whenever you visit.

Thank you for the update Johnny. I want to visit Cuba and hope to get the opportunity some day.

This is great getting to read first hand goings on. Now...where's the pics!! :D

Thanks for the info John, always good to hear from you!

I've heard reports through friends that Havana was relatively unscathed compared to the rest of the country and even areas east(?) of Havana. It's crazy how much talk there is concerning the tobacco yet it seems few people are really talking about the destruction to the area and homes in the outlying areas.

Interesting about the double decker route. It's a bitch trying to catch a cab out to Playa del Este. At night, forget about it.

The food situation has worsened in Havana. In the farmers markets there is an abscence of fruits/vegetables. Lots of pig, but that's about it. Eggs were on the black market as high as $0.25/each egg, when previously had sold at $0.05/each. The administration has done little to resolve this problem preferring to blame everything on the hurricane. The CUC stores such as the market in 3rd Ave and 70th St (behind the Russian Embassy) tended to have some things but at a much higher price. No veggies or fruit there for the past five weeks. John

The third hurricane prompted Fidel to write an article in Granma saying: "We ain't got no food, the hurricane is to blame", "I know we are starving, but if Bush wants to send help we'll just tell him we are doing just fine." Once again, plenty pig, eggs to raise your cholesterol level. Fruits and veggies still a problem, in Linea y 17 (Vedado) there is a fruit stand that had Papaya, Avocado, Boniato, Malanga, Guava but this has been the norm for about a month. Lots of propaganda on the TV, "the Chinese have sent donations", images of a few bags of rice. This infomercial was on about 50 times a day. I guess if you can't feed the people, you can quiet down the hunger pains with images on the boob tube. The people in Havana are stressed big time. Transportation is a big problem, many pirate taxis with V-8's can't afford the fuel increase of 9/8/08. If you go down for the Friends of Partagas herf you will have a hard time in the restaurants as many thing are off the menu. You won't go hungry, you just may not like what they have to offer. John

The third hurricane prompted Fidel to write an article in Granma saying: "We ain't got no food, the hurricane is to blame", "I know we are starving, but if Bush wants to send help we'll just tell him we are doing just fine." Once again, plenty pig, eggs to raise your cholesterol level. Fruits and veggies still a problem, in Linea y 17 (Vedado) there is a fruit stand that had Papaya, Avocado, Boniato, Malanga, Guava but this has been the norm for about a month. Lots of propaganda on the TV, "the Chinese have sent donations", images of a few bags of rice. This infomercial was on about 50 times a day. I guess if you can't feed the people, you can quiet down the hunger pains with images on the boob tube. The people in Havana are stressed big time. Transportation is a big problem, many pirate taxis with V-8's can't afford the fuel increase of 9/8/08. If you go down for the Friends of Partagas herf you will have a hard time in the restaurants as many thing are off the menu. You won't go hungry, you just may not like what they have to offer. John

What a mess it seems to be down there Johnny. What is even worse is that they are so close to our coast yet we "cant" help them out. Please continue to keep us posted....

Thanks for the update John. I really hope it gets better fast.

My brother went down on a mercy mission and almost got thrown in jail. The entire trip was a nightmare. They were followed constantly everywhere they went. He also indicated that the situation was getting pretty grim. Cuba isn't a fun place right now.