• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heartfelt Industries

Ferkondenster

Hi everyone
I saw that there was a topic a few under mine that talks about Heartfelt beads, but I felt like it would be better to start my own thread for some specific questions I have about some I purchased. If you think I should have just posted in that thread, let me know.
So last week, after talking to a member of this forum who lives in my neck of the woods, I decided to order a 65% RH tube and digital hygrometer(which wasn't manufactured by heartfelt) from Heartfelt's website.
My order came in yesterday and I'm not sure if I'm using the tube right. At first, I was unable to find the instructions for it. I only found the instructions to spritz with a spraybottle of distilled water after I had already first poured water over it, then later on, after realizing I COULD get the black top to come off, I poured a little bit of distilled water right down the tube for the beads to absorb.  So I'm concerned about whether or not I put too much water into the tube, and if I did, what to do now about that. I already contacted heartfelt yesterday to ask if I got the right tube, since the 65% one I ordered was advertised as having a blue cap, while the 70% ones have a black cap.
I'm trying to get some help from anyone who uses thier tubes as son as I can.
I also am having trouble with the digital hygrometer and would love suggestions from someone else who uses this same one. http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DHYG_REC
I try to adust it using the largest knob, but it seems to change randomly when I do that instead of going up one degree when I turn it to the next ridge.
Anyway, I have more to say about it, but I'll wait to see what kind of responses I get from this before going into it anymore.

" So I'm concerned about whether or not I put too much water into the tube, and if I did, what to do now about that"

Open the tube....spread out the beads on a plate...let them sit for a while and air out.

Re-insert beads (No John....not that way!)....and away you go!

Have you tried licking the beads?  That should tell you everything you need to know...

...as long as you have used the search function for information on proper bead licking technique, first.

After that, I'm really not sure about the RH% sticks.  I was under the impression that they were color coordinated, as well.  Could be he just sent you the wrong one.  Hopefully he gets back to you soon.  On the hygrometer issue, have you salt tested it before you tried calibrating?

kann said:
Have you tried licking the beads?  That should tell you everything you need to know...

...as long as you have used the search function for information on proper bead licking technique, first.

After that, I'm really not sure about the RH% sticks.  I was under the impression that they were color coordinated, as well.  Could be he just sent you the wrong one.  Hopefully he gets back to you soon.  On the hygrometer issue, have you salt tested it before you tried calibrating?
Yeah I tried the salt test  and am in the process of trying it again. It's really confusing to me, because I calibrated all of my hygrometers that way and it doesn't seem to have been affective. The digital hygrometer reading topped out at 77RH (so I tried to click it down two points but it didn't work). When I put it into the humidor and left it overnight, it read 68 when I woke up although the nondigital ones read 75-78, once factoring in thier deviation form 75 in the salt test. So I just really don't know what to think at this point....I just want my stuff to finally work! :angry:

Thank for not saying you tried licking the beads and they were salty.

Ferkondenster said:

Yeah I tried the salt test  and am in the process of trying it again. It's really confusing to me, because I calibrated all of my hygrometers that way and it doesn't seem to have been affective. The digital hygrometer reading topped out at 77RH (so I tried to click it down two points but it didn't work). When I put it into the humidor and left it overnight, it read 68 when I woke up although the nondigital ones read 75-78, once factoring in thier deviation form 75 in the salt test. So I just really don't know what to think at this point....I just want my stuff to finally work! :angry:
Do you talk like that...really?

:D

grateful1 said:

Do you talk like that...really?

:D

Oh yes, I do... I'm drying out the beads...was hoping I could get some better help here.

They hygrometer you use is a popular model an dI know lots of CPers use them...I used them as well, but I've switched over to the Xikar hygrometers.  I've found them to be just as accurate as the model you have, and they have a on touch button to set calibration which is nice.  Saves you the hassle of turning the damn knob which I also hated doing.

thechenman said:
They hygrometer you use is a popular model an dI know lots of CPers use them...I used them as well, but I've switched over to the Xikar hygrometers.  I've found them to be just as accurate as the model you have, and they have a on touch button to set calibration which is nice.  Saves you the hassle of turning the damn knob which I also hated doing.
Yeah I was thinking of going Xikar but decided to save 8 bucks and go with this...probably not the best decision to make.
When I turn the knob it just goes off the wall. Like I'll move it up 3 clicks and it'll go from reading 77RH to 59.
I think what I'm going to try doing is once the beads are dried out, I'll put a humidifier in there that overhumidified the box in the past and hope that the beads, once dried, will soak up the excess humidity.

I have the same one you have and the Xikar.   Salt test it for 48 hours and then note what it shows verse what it should be at and do the addition/subtraction when you check on the humidity in your box.    I have given up on those dam dials.

I concur, I have both as well and I have a a little sticky note that says '+4' or whatever the differential is even after turning the knob all the way down.

sar127 said:
I concur, I have both as well and I have a a little sticky note that says '+4' or whatever the differential is even after turning the knob all the way down.
Yeah the knob seems worthless...i thought maybe it was just a defective unit, but it seems more likely that it's just a crappy product.

Just as an added point, I have all the rectangular hygrometers I'm aware of on the market... The Xikar is the most accurate, easiest to calibrate & best all around for me.
I like the salt test, but I can be rather anal when it comes to something I care about. That being said, I use the Boveda calibration kit to ensure accuracy.
The calibration kit pack, after your done calibrating, can be saved for about 3 months to use again or put in with cigars you send out so they stay right... that's my 2 cents.

BigBear said:
Just as an added point, I have all the rectangular hygrometers I'm aware of on the market... The Xikar is the most accurate, easiest to calibrate & best all around for me.
I like the salt test, but I can be rather anal when it comes to something I care about. That being said, I use the Boveda calibration kit to ensure accuracy.
The calibration kit pack, after your done calibrating, can be saved for about 3 months to use again or put in with cigars you send out so they stay right... that's my 2 cents.
How does the kit ensure accuracy?

Are you 2 talking about the packs or just calibration kit? I bought the tube with the beads because I thought it would soak up humidity but I'm not sure if it will do that.....

Have you all found the salt test to work? Mine doesn't really work. when I do it, I wait until reaches a reading that stays the same for an hour or more and then take that to mean that I'm through with the salt test. But then in the humidor, one that read 5above 75 will not give the correct relative reading as a hygrometer that was 3 below 75 doing the salt test. They should be 8 points apart, but are typically only abut 3 points apart

As CBoukal stated in an earlier post above... you need to do the salt test for 48 hours (typically 24 would work, but 48 will ensure it).
The calibration kit is fool proof, but it also should be done for the 48 hours to ensure correct results.
There's really nothing more to it... either get a new hygrometer & use a kit, or keep the same & get the kit... or use the salt test instead of the kit, or do what your doing.
There is no other way of putting it, good luck.