• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Help with creating humidor atmosphere / smell

dcpeters

In need of some help, if possible. I researched and cannot find any logical answers. I purchased a 400ct. humidor that has two slots and a front open door and top open door. The windows on the doors are plastic. However, I am using a Cigar Oasis and it is holding humidity pretty well as I have had it since May. I didn't, however, research into Spanish Cedar at that time. I believe the interior of the unit is crap wood. It is not lined with Spanish Cedar at all, but, like I said, it is holding humidity.

I want that "Humidor Smell", though...

My question is this. Will purchasing some spanish cedar and throwing it into my humidor help to establish the cigars better and help it to smell like a humidor, over time? Will me putting the wood pieces in the humidor (not being lined) benefit the cigars at this point? I have about 150-200 cigars in there and some have been in there since last May. I have rotated and kept the humidity at a pretty good area.

Any help I can get would be great!

edit - 11:24PM CT
Sorry, I realized I posted this in the wrong forum on accident. Please delete, if needed.

You can add block(s) of cedar or the cedar strips from boxes, but it will never have that completely humidor smell. Never tried humidors not made of cedar, you may want to push reset on this one and purchase a new humi, two sites I have used in the past: cheaphumidors.com, cubancrafters.com. Don't work for either, just have ordered from there with good results and cheap pricing for good quality humidors. You might be able to line the humidor w/cedar, not certain what it would take or how thick it would need to be. You also would not want to glue any laminate in place inside since the fumes will kill your humidor.

Also- the plastic instead of glass should have clued you in about quality, hopefully you did not spend much.....

IMHO, I will respond with the old idiom of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It sounds to me like it's doing just fine, based on your own statements. If, down the road, you need to purchase a cabinet or a bigger humi like I had to, just use this humidor as your holding humidor and use it to dump new purchases in until their RH stabilizes, and you can also use it to keep the cigars you give to your buddies or coworkers in, or use it for your daily smokes. That's what I do. If you want to go to the trouble of lining it with more spanish cedar by all means go nuts, but I wouldn't drop a Ferrari engine into a Kia Spectra just so it can go faster, especially if I have the means to just buy a complete Ferrari after a few months of saving...

Seriously, it sounds like a good solid humidor as is brother.

Considering that many people use wine refrigerators, camping coolers and mini/dorm fridges (as do I) for humidors, I don't think you have a problem with your cigar keeper as long as it's holding correctly. As others have said, you can buy and put in blocks or sheets of Spanish Cedar, but I think you are fine with what you have. Adding the cedar will also change the dynamics of the way the moisture is absorbed in the humidor, as well. If you add enough, you might even need to recondition it, though others with more experience might be able to verify or shoot that one down.

my humidor is 3ft tall by 11 wide and 9 depth.
the sides back and front has glass running top to bottom.
really nice but felt too much glass and it just wasnt enough cedar inside so from boxes etc, i took the strips and with a small piece of tape covered the glass on two sides, it gives that fresh smell and so far "knock on cedar wood" lol it is working well with my oasis.

like mentioned above if it ain't broke.......