• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hot water heater conversion

mattroth54

I'm embarrased to tell why I'm asking about this (my stupid mistake), but does anyone know if I can convert a propane 40gal hot water heater to use natural gas?

I've found natural gas replacement valves at the hardware store, but I'm unsure if the burner/pilot light would be compatible with both gases.

I'm pretty sure I'm looking at an entirely new heater, but if I can get by with a conversion without blowing up the house in the process, that'd prevent a significant dent in the cigar budget.

Matt

I can't specificly say about your heater but my gas cooktop is interchangable between propane and NG just by changing the oriface size. That would be the same as changing the valving IMO.

does anyone know if I can convert a propane 40gal hot water heater to use natural gas?

Matt

Yes I do.

No you can't.

The valves are different. It's not just the orifice. It's the valve. The pressures are different, and so are the BTU's, etc. Ask any knowledgable plumber or plumbing supply. They will tell you.

Buy the proper heater.

Water heaters are potential bombs in your house, if not properly installed. I've seen the damage, and the deaths.

Buy the proper unit.

<Tumbleweed the plumber>

[edited for spelling]

Thanks, Tumbleweed. I figured that was the road to go down. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't an eaiser way.

Tumbleweed is correct, can't do it. But I have a question for you:

Why are you heating hot water? :p (Just a joke where I work.)

Just a side note: If you had hot water, you wouldn't need a water heater.

sorry for the bit of smartarse, but I used to get this all the time at work (used to be a plumber at a modular home manf. plant, and the qc then would bust my chops everyday for saying "hot water heater", but now I'm the QC that gets to say it to the new people :D )

I a checking out a tankless hot water system. Sort of like an instant hot water delivery system. Anyone have experience with this?
Peter

If the tankless system you're talking about is about the same size as a car's radiator, we've used them at work. From all i can see, they seem to work great. instant hot water, and you never run out (unless of course, you run out of water). as long as you have the volume of water you need running through it, it will keep up.

I've had a tankless system for about 5 years now. Based on the reduction of my electric bill I'm getting near the break-even point of the purchase and install. They are cheaper now so you'll reach that point even sooner than I did.

I a checking out a tankless hot water system. Sort of like an instant hot water delivery system. Anyone have experience with this?
Peter

My home was built in 1987. Original water heater. I recently had a plumber over because the over flow valve was leaking. Hot water was coming out the tube on the exterior of the house. He fixed it and in conversation he suggested that I should think about replacing the water heater. Apparantly these things don't last forever and mine was old, inefficient (using too much electricty to get the job done), and was going to crap out on me sometime soon. I've known this plumber for more than 20 years and don't think he was BS me. I just never heard of someone replacing the wh before it leaks or stops making hot water.
Peter

19 years for a heater is doing very good. Think tankless for your next one.

I recently had a plumber over because the over flow valve was leaking. Hot water was coming out the tube on the exterior of the house.

Well, ya did yourself a favor there, Pepe.

Actually, it's not an overflow valve. It's your T+P. (temperature and pressure relief valve).

This valve releases water if the temp. and/or pressure gets too high. It's what keeps your heater from becoming a bomb. If they release, you have a problem somewhere. Thermostats may be stuck, for instance. It's telling you something is wrong, and needs attention.

The T+P has a steel spring in it. If it releases, this spring gets wet. And rusts. It can lock the valve shut. Pressures rise. BOOM!

If they release more than once or twice, they should be replaced. (They only cost about $7.00)

One local homeowner replaced his own water heater, didn't know what that extra hole was for, and just put a plug in it. Three years later, his T-stat failed. The explosion blew the whole back side of his house out,shattered every window, killed his dog, blew part of the roof off, and blew him out the front window.

They really can be a bomb. I agree with the above posters who state: Think tankless!

<Tumbleweed> (who has to edit because he can't type worth a hoot)

I went to a tankless last summer. I like it very much. The long runs take a while to get hot but a properly sized heater can keep you in hot water. It has its unique quirks but I feel they are not problems. I bought a Takagi T-K2 in a propaine setup.

Rated to handle two full bath and 1 additional like washer or dishwasher.

Some say the "savings" are never realized because the homeowner ends up using more hot water because it is available but I just heard that last week on a home improvement radio talk show. I still recommend it.