• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How can you tell if a cigars has dried out...

Marcos

I love you Rocky & Sammie and Bee...thank you
I have read here that there are ways to tell the past of your stoagie by its appearance. Like if it was stored at a humidity level that was too high that the wrapper would appear split due to expansion of the filler. Well I was thinking about the reverse scenario. How could you tell if a cigar was stored in humidity that was too low/dried out and then there was an attempt to bring it up to adequate humidity again before a sale. Would this affect appearance or even worse, would it affect taste? How can I tell? Thanks

The same splitting wrapper problem happens to cigars that are dried out and humidified too quickly. Otherwise, I'm not really sure you can tell just by appearance.

I don't think you can tell by looks, I've heard that it can change taste a little.

If the cigars were handled delicately I doubt that you could tell by visual appearance. However, smelling an unlit stick would reveal a flat aroma that is devoid of the richness of a well-kept cigar. Depending on how long it was dried out and how badly, smoking one would result in a cigar that has drastically diminished to zero flavor.

I did the unintentional experiment once with some HdM Epi2 that somehow got left outside my humi. It tasted nothing like a good specimen.

So, 1) smell it, 2) smoke it.

Wilkey

I mostly agree it is hard to tell by looking. But if a normally oily wrapper has a dull, dry look, it may have been dried. Also, they tend to absorb moisture more readily - perhaps in place of the oils that are gone.

Agreed with everything said, picking up the cigar can help as well. You will be able to tell if it is dried out.

Has anyone ever received a cigar from an online source that they thought was dried out and then rehydrated?

Edited for spelling

A dry cigar tastes like dry hay to me.... ACK