• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How much would you spend

How much would you be willing to spend to a once in a lifetime cigar?

• No more than $10.00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $10.00-$25.00

• $25.00-$50.00

• $50.00-$100

• $100.00+

• Total voters

Seamus

Minister of Closing Matters
A common analogy smokers use to warrant the cost of a good cigar to a non smoker is that of a good meal or a bottle of wine but how often do they turn that analogy back to themselves. Some people refuse to pay more than $20.00 for a cigar but think nothing of spending more than that to go out and eat. Do they not really enjoy smoking or is it they can't appreciate the nuances of a good cigar? I don't know. This is not a question of what is financially reasonable for the everyday or occasional smoke and neither is it a "if money was not object" scenario. Think of other times in your life you've spent a good deal of money on 1-2 hours of enjoyment and gained nothing more than a memorable experience and see if it's in line with how much you would spend on a GREAT cigar. It doesn't matter if it's a collectors item, something your going to smoke on a very special occasion or you just want to say you smoked a Dunhill Cabinetta. What is the absolute most you would spend on 1 cigar?

Post Scriptum: This is my 100th post and I am really enjoying myself here. Thank you for having me.

Jim

Edit, sorry for grammer infractions, I have an eye infection which is causing me to have very blurry vision.

I'm with ya, Ryan!!! :thumbs: Anyone wanna do a box split???

ree ree robusto said:
Oh what the hell. I'd pay over $100 for Cuban Davidoff.
[snapback]201105[/snapback]​

Wasn't there an article in CA on rare Cuban smokes that a store in Hong Kong has? The prices were in 10K's.

ree

Wine is a decent analogy. "Daily" or "table" wines around our house are the $5-10.00 / bottle variety. Going out to dinner for a special occasion I'll splurge, but for me I find the area of "diminishing return" is about $100.00 / bottle. Likewise, for a "super special" gar, I'd spend up to $100.00 but probably not more....

FWIW - B.B.S.

cigarsarge said:
I would spend $100 plus as long as my wife did not know about it.
[snapback]201111[/snapback]​

Ding Ding, same here.

I voted $50-100. I would never pay more than $100 for a single cigar. I mean, seriously, you are going to BURN it. How much better can a "once in a lifetime cigar" be than less expensive ones? Personally, I don't have the refined palate to truly enjoy something like that anyway.

I would venture to say that 8/10 people if given a $100 cigar and a good $10-20 cigar, both unbanded, they wouldn't be able to tell you which one cost $100.

I finally tried a $35 cigar. I'm waiting to try a $100 one.

Okay, who's the other cheap bastid? I voted $25 - $50. :blush:

If I can't find a cigar for under $50 that will set me right, I haven't been looking hard enough. But, I guess under the right circumstances (just hit a big jackpot in Vegas, etc.) I would probably spend more. :D

mrjinglesusa said:
I would venture to say that 8/10 people if given a $100 cigar and a good $10-20 cigar, both unbanded, they wouldn't be able to tell you which one cost $100.
[snapback]201114[/snapback]​

I'd say more like 99/100

Edit: I voted 25-50. I woulda voted 10-25 but I have an Opus X "A" in my possession, and I could see myself paying a little bit more than that.

As it stands, that "A" probably will be my once-in-a-lifetime cigar (I plan to smoke it the day I get married).

Well as a newb at first, I was laughing at the 13$ opus x.(worth it)
Had a DC Max then a Graycliff Red Label the other night and Boom!
I won't ever have a problem paying up to 20$ for another cigar.
Made a trip the very next day for Padron 40th.

I think every BOTL has that moment or smoke that they realize, I think I just had the Best Smoke Ever, and I will pay a pretty good penny to have that feeling everytime. That was this weekend for me, followed up the next day with
a Vegas Robaina,(thxs Cigarsarge), Then Padron 40th. What a weekend!

I hope, if you haven't yet had that smoke or moment, you will one day!
Yes, it was a emotional or a wonderful high of a feeling.
(Of course it could have been the Crown Royal)

cletus said:
Well as a newb at first, I was laughing at the 13$ opus x.(worth it)
Had a DC Max then a Graycliff Red Label the other night and Boom!
I won't ever have a problem paying up to 20$ for another cigar.
Made a trip the very next day for Padron 40th.

I think every BOTL has that moment or smoke that they realize, I think I just had the Best Smoke Ever, and I will pay a pretty good penny to have that feeling everytime. That was this weekend for me, followed up the next day with
a Vegas Robaina,(thxs Cigarsarge), Then Padron 40th. What a weekend!

I hope, if you haven't yet had that smoke or moment, you will one day!
Yes, it was a emotional or a wonderful high of a feeling.
(Of course it could have been the Crown Royal)
[snapback]201136[/snapback]​

You have just made the first steps to a dwindling bank account. ;)

The most I've ever spent on a cigar was $50 dollars and I doubt I will ever spend more than that, or spend that again for that matter. I have spent $100 dollors on a bottle of wine a few times and don't rergret it a bit.

mrjinglesusa said:
I voted $50-100. I would never pay more than $100 for a single cigar. I mean, seriously, you are going to BURN it. How much better can a "once in a lifetime cigar" be than less expensive ones? Personally, I don't have the refined palate to truly enjoy something like that anyway.

Don't think that is the point. Would the Cuban Davidoff or Dunhill be THAT much better...probably not. The point is, it might be a once in a lifetime chance to smoke it. I'd pay $100 or even more for that chance assuming the time was right.

cigardawg said:
mrjinglesusa said:
I voted $50-100.  I would never pay more than $100 for a single cigar.  I mean, seriously, you are going to BURN it.  How much better can a "once in a lifetime cigar" be than less expensive ones?  Personally, I don't have the refined palate to truly enjoy something like that anyway.

Don't think that is the point. Would the Cuban Davidoff or Dunhill be THAT much better...probably not. The point is, it might be a once in a lifetime chance to smoke it. I'd pay $100 or even more for that chance assuming the time was right.
[snapback]201164[/snapback]​

I understood the point of the question. The opinion I am expressing (and this is only my opinion) is that spending over $100 for a "once in a lifetime" smoke, for me, is not worth it. It probably won't be any better than others I enjoy regularly (even if it were, as I said, my palate wouldn't be able to tell). I would rather save up and get a box of something rare (and expensive) that I can enjoy on more than one occasion (i.e. an over $500 box). :thumbs:

mrjinglesusa said:

On the other hand, many of the 2/10s left are on boards such as this one.
Most I've ever paid to-date is still def under $50. But, I fig somewhere down the line I could see paying $100+ for a great once-in-a-lifetime smoke.

Well, I'm cheap so I voted for 25-50. I am really not experienced enough to appreciate a 100+ cigar anyways. Maybe in a few years when I have experienced more and can actually appreciate a rare/once-in-a-lifetime cigar I will buy a few.

ree ree robusto said:
Oh what the hell. I'd pay over $100 for Cuban Davidoff.
[snapback]201105[/snapback]​

I found someone who had one for 65... but it's long gone... :(

I want an Opus X BBMF and a Chili pepper, and the BBMF is 125 in Vegas and the pepper is 75 in vegas, so yeah i'd dish it out. And I WOULD Smoke that BBMF! ;)