• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How To Repair A Torn Wrapper

drewman285

Sun Grown Whore
Alright so recently I had a cigar and the wrapper was torn and unwraveling :angry: so I did a quick search, took advice and bought some pectin. I live in a small town so our store didnt have the liquid form so I tried the powder. I figured Id give it a try and take some pictures along the way for anyone who didnt know what to do with a torn stick. This is just a quick guide to save your stoge from the wrath of an angered cigar god ;)!! Hope it helps!

Supplies: Unfortunately... A damaged cigar
Pectin (Liquid or powder whatever is available)
Baby Food Jar or bottle cap whatever is around is fine
A toothpick, or quetip something to apply the glue

PICT0002.jpg

After you have your supplies mix your pectin. For mine, I just poured a very small amount of water into the jar and put small amounts of powdered pectin in and mixed until I had the right mix. The finished product should be a cloudy mixture, that is gooey and almost gel like.

PICT0003.jpg

Once you have prepaired your glue, moisten the torn wrapper and or area that is being glued, this will make it more flexible and less fragile to work with. Next use your applicator of choice (quetip, paintbrush, toothpick, etc.) and apply the glue to the damaged wrapper. Be careful! :0 And make sure you dont break the wrapper off and damage the cigar more than it already is. Just be gentle and apply the glue to the bottom of wrapper so it bonds to cigar and then seal around the edges as well. Make sure you dont over apply the glue, a little goes a long ways.

PICT0004.jpg

Once your glue is applied gently lay the wrapper down and run your finger over the damaged wrapper so it seals to the cigar and will hold.

PICT0007.jpg

After you have completed all of the steps bam! You just saved your cigar and its ready to smoke!

PICT0008.jpg

Hope this helps! Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :D

Nice job. I used liquid pectin before but it doesn't have a very long shelf life after it's been opened.

What about the powder, indefinite shelf life? This would be better than running out to the store everytime you find a loose wrapper.

If you lightly moisten the torn part and area of the wrapper, it will become more pliable, and less subject to further damage.

Glad to see your cigar is feeling better. Let us know how it smokes. I was actually wondering what kind of pectin to get, so thanks for that. Always good to keep some on hand. thanks a lot!

Yeah okay, I coulda used this earlier on a GOF. :D Great post, I may have to keep this stuff handy with the way my smokes are going lately.

I'll have to try that some time. I keep a bottle of honey and tooth picks in the shop just for such an emergency. Good post, Thanks.

Well done.

Thanks for the info. Hey! I learned something new today. :laugh:

This is why I save my caps. You'd be amazed at how many patches you can make out of a clipped cap. Make sure you moisten the tobacco before you try to disassemble it, but once you get it apart you should be able to patch a few smaller tears or use multiple patches on one larger tear.

A little dab of pectin on the tear (and I mean VERY little), place the patch, smooth it out, add more pectin if necessary to smooth it out all the way, let it dry and if you've matched color closely enough you can barely see the patch. This will also hold the tear together better than just using the pectin alone.

Nice job. I used liquid pectin before but it doesn't have a very long shelf life after it's been opened.

What about the powder, indefinite shelf life? This would be better than running out to the store everytime you find a loose wrapper.

Yeah the powder works great and its basically like jello. It will keep for a very, very, long time. And to the others, thanks for the extra tip about wetting down the wrapper ill add that in my process. Hope it was helpful to all. Merry Christmas :D

nice info ... I will need to try it your way :thumbs: .

I've been using zigzag paper, just cutting out the glued part to repair my cigars, patch any cracks ... I haven't seen a change in taste and it seems to work well, it just made the cigar look ugly. :blush:

Here's a really easy way to go...
take a "cornstarch/biodegradable" shipping peanut. Wet the end, and use like a styptic pencil on the torn or unravelling leaf. Sticks instantly...dries almost instantly...no flavor, no odor, invisible, no effect on burn---works like a charm and costs virtually NOTHING

I usually put maple syrup on the torn wrapper.
It has great smell and I love the taste.

Hey! Thanks to all of you for the hints! I have an Illusione -1- that has some of its wrapper umwrapping and I was in a quandry as to what to do with it. Yet another example of CigarPass coming to the rescue! Thanks, Drewman285, for the original post. :thumbs:

Thanks for all the comments guys. Glad its been able to help a few! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!