• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to select a cheap pipe

lmno1

I go into a bin and look for "b" pipes, and I really don't know what to look for. I've found some decent smokers, but I usually go by feel and look. Any tips or tricks when trying to find a 30 dollar or less pipe?

"Basket pipes" usually have something wrong with 'em that more times than not, won't affect the smoking characteristics. This may include fills in the surface of the briar, a slight out of kilter drilling of the stem or shank, off size bore for that model, etc. Sometimes it may be something small that MAY affect the smoking characteristics, like an out of whack draft hole.

Example, I bought a Blatter & Blatter basket pipe in August for $40. I saw almost the exact pipe in their showcase for $120 later and asked the guy what was wrong with mine it was so cheap. He showed me some very cleverly disguised fills and said "that" was the "ONLY" reason. I already had bought the pipe a while before that, so he had nothing to gain by blowing smoke out his ass.

If you like it and it feels right in your hand, buy it and take pleasure in smoking it. many uppity pipe smokers won't smoke a pipe unless it has the famed White Dot on it, or stamped James Upshall, or something like that. I would like to have a couple of very nice high quality pipes too, but I will say that one of my best smokers is a 45 year old Willard a guy gifted to me that needs some TLC on the finish.

EDIT:

Because my fingers are cold and I can't type worth shit. ???

Good advice. I just picked up a basket pipe (gotta check the brand) a really nice briar with a good feel, good bore, but it was unfinished and had a few little "dings." I'm thinking whoever made it decided not to finish it because of the dings. Still breaking it in though.

I never buy from the basket. Cuz for like $30 more I can get a brand spanking new Nording pipe. I also dont buy pipes online or used. I'm just a very selective pipe buyer. Just remember that the basket pipes are usually just cosmetic flaws just like 2nds in cigars being cosmetic problems as well. Generally speaking. My most expensive pipe is my Eric Nording Cobra 2004 that cost me around $145 with tax. There is a couple high end pipes I would love to get my hands on that cost $500 to $800 a pipe but I just cant justify that price at this point of my life. Key word...Yet. :laugh:

Ok..how to select a pipe:

1.) How does it feel in your hand?
2.) Does the pipe please your eye? Who cares what others think of it as long as you like it.
3.) Does the pipe draw nicely? You can do this with an empty bowl.
4.) Is the pipe new or use? If used...will I need to get a new bit for it because the previous owner thought it was a chew toy.
5.) Again...I point out how does it feel in your hand? Is it natural or just plain weird.
6.) If you are comfortable with the pipe, there is no substitute. Buy it and enoy!

Yeah, 30 bucks is tough, because you're right, for another 30, you can pick up something pretty nice. I'd love to drop 400 on a pipe if I could, just to do it. I know that price doesn't mean "good smoke" but there are some beauties out there.

I second all that was said above. The main thing is that you like it. Some basket pipes are smaller than average. My dublin is such a pipe, but it is the very best pipe I have for smoking Va/Perique blends. I don't know what it is but those blends just party in that pipe! And I only paid $23 for it.