• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How to tell my parents that I smoke cigars

Just tell mom you opted for the cigars, instead of sexual reorientation. I think she'll be cool with it.

Depending on where he's from (Parts Unknown, since there's no intro or profile info), he may not be of legal smoking age. It's 19 in parts of NY here. Just putting that out there, too.

Sometimes life is hard...we make is worse by lying and not being forthright.

Look them in the eye and tell them the truth. Don't complicate things by ignoring what you eventually will have to deal with.

My mom doesn't mind me smoking the cigars but she is still pissed that I ordered cigars from Thompson using her address... she's tired of the junk mail :sign:

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My mom doesn't mind me smoking the cigars but she is still pissed that I ordered cigars from Thompson using her address... she's tired of the junk mail :sign:
My buddy loves Thompson and thought that I would to so he signed me up for their catalog. I'd like to wring his neck for it too.

Hard to imagine how your cigar smoking is a secret if you live under the same roof as your parents. The stench of cigar smoke will stubbornly cling to you and your clothes. It would take some serious effort to conceal the odor.
This is what I was thinking. Sometimes, if I smoke a particularly strong cigar, my wife can still smell it on me the next day even after showering and brushing my teeth multiple times.

Sprinkle a little miracle grow down your pants, add a little water.
Wait a few days and see if there a change in your Ba-Gina.......
Either way, tell them asap........the longer you wait the worst it may be for
both you and you parents.

Did I tell you both your parents smoke cigars?

Question. Why do you even need to tell them? Just keep smoking lol
To a certain extent, that's what I did, and gradually over the last decade they've become aware. I didn't hide it, but I didn't volunteer information about it. Recently, my father, who is zealously anti-tobacco, has started asking me questions about it, and stated that his problem with tobacco is -his- problem. I don't throw it in his face, and he appreciates it.

The truth is always best when asked a direct question. When there is no truth between you and your folks, everything becomes suspect. Don't let a few cigars ruin a good relationship.

Just my opinion.

Are cigars even enough to ruin a good relationship with parents? It's not like it's weed.

I think your parents will be cool with it as long as you don't try to be demanding about it and (depending on how uptight they are) tell them that it's more of a hobby and not a vice. You could even show them around the CP forum so they can see that it's mainly cool people that smoke cigars :cool:

PS- Don't get upset about the people making fun of your lack of nads. They're just messing with you. :laugh:

I think it's going to depend on what kind of relationship you already have with your parents. If they're really strict and still treat you like a child, then it'll probably be best that you wait until they give you a little more respect and you've moved out from their house. But if you've got a really open relationship, then you can probably approach them about it with a couple of probing questions first and then let them know that you've considered the negative aspects of the hobby but will approach it with moderation.

Meh. Just do what I did, and forget to put your humidor away in a closet when they come visit. Mom was less than pleased, but after she realized that I wasn't giving it up, and that I was doing it for the enjoyment of it rather than a habit, she was fine with it. Heck, I went up to visit her in WA a little bit ago, and she didn't even care that my brother and I were out back in the yard enjoying a couple beers and cigars while she was gardening.

Pipe tobacco was a whole different experience. She loves the smell.

Dad smokes with me, so, yeah....hell, ask your pops if he is interested in sitting and smoking a cigar with you while talking about life. Most normal fathers would jump at that chance.

On the other hand, if you can't stand up for yourself and are scared to tell your parents, then are you really mature enough to make the choice of smoking cigars? Just food for thought.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

You've received some great advice, be honest and express it is an occasional hobby and they well probably accept it with little or no lecture.

Ken

Lolllllllll. My mom just now asked what I bought at the tobacco shop, I said some cigars and she laughed, and so did my dad. They don't care one bit, nor were they mad at all, my mom even said she wasn't mad.

Hard to imagine how your cigar smoking is a secret if you live under the same roof as your parents. The stench of cigar smoke will stubbornly cling to you and your clothes. It would take some serious effort to conceal the odor.

Whenever my friends and I smoke, we're always outside. Whenever we're done, we drive for 15-20 minutes with the windows/sun roof open to air out, also we wait a bit before going inside of whichever vehicle we're in, which happens to be mine 100% of the time lol. My clothes don't smell like tobacco after I smoke(my hands do though hehe) and my car doesn't either, so eh. I prefer to smoke outside, I'd rather not stink up my parents house or my room.

Do you live at home with your parents? If so, approach it honestly. I'd be surprised to find out that they are concerned over your cigar/pipe smoking, when they don't care if you drink, underage drinking that is.

You're legal smoking age, what's the deal? If it changes nothing about how you treat them, your schoolwork or your job, I'd hope they'd be ok with it and realize it's something you enjoy doing.

I don't drink, forgot to mention that. I'll have a swig of something here and there, but I just stick with my unsweet iced black tea.

Dad smokes with me, so, yeah....hell, ask your pops if he is interested in sitting and smoking a cigar with you while talking about life. Most normal fathers would jump at that chance.

I may have to try that sometime hehe.

I think it's going to depend on what kind of relationship you already have with your parents. If they're really strict and still treat you like a child, then it'll probably be best that you wait until they give you a little more respect and you've moved out from their house. But if you've got a really open relationship, then you can probably approach them about it with a couple of probing questions first and then let them know that you've considered the negative aspects of the hobby but will approach it with moderation.

My parents are VERY relaxed and laid back people, but are not bad parents by any means. My dad is one cool dude, and is a great parent. He asks me to do some fun stuff quite often. "Hey son, my friend has a dirt bike track in his backyard, let's go over and ride some dirt bikes!" I have been racing motocross for seven years because of this. "Hey son, let's go skydiving!" He asked me that one last year, we're going to do it some day. "Hey son, let's go mountain biking!" "Let's go water skiing!" My mom I can talk to about absolutely anything. My sister and I were raised very Christian-like (church every Sunday, that sort of stuff, though around 7th-8th grade or so that wore off a bit). Last November my mom and I went on a trip to Chicago one weekend just for the fun of it, and we were at dinner just talking about life and stuff, so I told her I wasn't really big on religion, and her response was "I know lol." She wasn't angry like I thought she was going to be. I can tell her absolutely anything, which I like.

My mom said this. "Tobacco is tobacco, and cancer is cancer." That is one thing I'm worried about though, is the possibility of getting cancer. I don't inhale, so my lungs are fine in that aspect, it's just the mouth part that's a bit unsettling when you think about it.

Pm moeCizlak...I think he still lives with his parents and they are OK with his smoking....not sure if he has told them about his orientation yet....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Pm moeCizlak...I think he still lives with his parents and they are OK with his smoking....not sure if he has told them about his orientation yet....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Technically that's true, Dan. In the same sense that Norman Bates lived with his mom.

Like mentioned, just tell them like you told us, list all the reasons why your smoking has no affect on the rest of your life! Then offer them some sticks to smoke!!!

Lolllllllll. My mom just now asked what I bought at the tobacco shop, I said some cigars and she laughed, and so did my dad. They don't care one bit, nor were they mad at all, my mom even said she wasn't mad.

Whenever my friends and I smoke, we're always outside. Whenever we're done, we drive for 15-20 minutes with the windows/sun roof open to air out, also we wait a bit before going inside of whichever vehicle we're in, which happens to be mine 100% of the time lol. My clothes don't smell like tobacco after I smoke(my hands do though hehe) and my car doesn't either, so eh. I prefer to smoke outside, I'd rather not stink up my parents house or my room.

Do you live at home with your parents? If so, approach it honestly. I'd be surprised to find out that they are concerned over your cigar/pipe smoking, when they don't care if you drink, underage drinking that is.

You're legal smoking age, what's the deal? If it changes nothing about how you treat them, your schoolwork or your job, I'd hope they'd be ok with it and realize it's something you enjoy doing.

I don't drink, forgot to mention that. I'll have a swig of something here and there, but I just stick with my unsweet iced black tea.

I may have to try that sometime hehe.

My parents are VERY relaxed and laid back people, but are not bad parents by any means. My dad is one cool dude, and is a great parent. He asks me to do some fun stuff quite often. "Hey son, my friend has a dirt bike track in his backyard, let's go over and ride some dirt bikes!" I have been racing motocross for seven years because of this. "Hey son, let's go skydiving!" He asked me that one last year, we're going to do it some day. "Hey son, let's go mountain biking!" "Let's go water skiing!" My mom I can talk to about absolutely anything. My sister and I were raised very Christian-like (church every Sunday, that sort of stuff, though around 7th-8th grade or so that wore off a bit). Last November my mom and I went on a trip to Chicago one weekend just for the fun of it, and we were at dinner just talking about life and stuff, so I told her I wasn't really big on religion, and her response was "I know lol." She wasn't angry like I thought she was going to be. I can tell her absolutely anything, which I like.

My mom said this. "Tobacco is tobacco, and cancer is cancer." That is one thing I'm worried about though, is the possibility of getting cancer. I don't inhale, so my lungs are fine in that aspect, it's just the mouth part that's a bit unsettling when you think about it.

Moderation and you'll be fine. And as for your parents, that's awesome. Yer lucky to have such understanding and open parents, unlike....well...some parents.