• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Deal

A few hundred posts will do. Realize you can't come in here, or anywhere else for that matter, with no history, no reputation and without anyone vouching for you and expect to be accpted as an authority.

A few hundred posts will do. Realize you can't come in here, or anywhere else for that matter, with no history, no reputation and without anyone vouching for you and expect to be accpted as an authority.

I'll work on it. Maybe my semantics were not the best as I was only suspect at the vitriolic objection to "fake" maple humidors from a spanish cedar humidor merchant and wasn't trying to creat the impression that I know alot about maple-lined 'dors. All I know is mine works fine. :D

Spent years reading and posting on the alt.smokers.cigars newsgroup but this site is a heck of a lot better.

Paul

I'll work on it. Maybe my semantics were not the best as I was only suspect at the vitriolic objection to "fake" maple humidors from a spanish cedar humidor merchant and wasn't trying to creat the impression that I know alot about maple-lined 'dors. All I know is mine works fine. :D

Spent years reading and posting on the alt.smokers.cigars newsgroup but this site is a heck of a lot better.

Paul

Welcome aboard Paul!

David

Ok so back OT, now that I have a 300 ct. maple lined humidor on my table, what is my best line of action :p

FWIW I haven't noticed a difference YET in the taste/smell of cigars stored in this humi vs. my others, although there is definitely a distinct smell to the wood. Any thoughts on middle of the road solutions (i.e., not chucking it or completely relining with Spanish cedar)?

Unless you can remove the enzyme or whatever causes the wood to emit a scent, there's really no way to neutralize the smell of the maple.

And is my tongue and nose really that sensitive? The smell was so present in the cigars I had to put it out, I can't believe others aren't having this problem unless their wood was somehow from a less stinky part of the tree ???

Hmm, what if you seal off the maple? I was thinking about using automotive paint, but it takes a while to completely cure. I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

God, I hope you're kidding. ???

Just my .02 but I think any kind of paint presents it's own flavor taste problems.

Just switch over to smoking Acids, then the maple smell won't be a factor. In fact, maple scented / flavored cigars could be a new thing. Has anyone called IHOP to see if they're interesting in co-branding?

Well, I was talking about 2 part urethane paints. When completely cured they don't give off any odors. Lacquer type paints give off odors. I'm not talking about spray can paint.

Mmmm, maple flavoured cigars!

Maple%20Syrup%20leaf%20bottle.jpg

Just throwing this out there for those who got the maple humi's. Why not get a bunch of the thin cedar sheets that sometimes come with 'gar boxes and line the inside with that. You might need a bunch but that might overpower the maple smell.

That is what I actually planned to do. I found some Spanish Cedar sheets on eBay I was going to buy and line my humidor with. I am using beads, so I was just going to attach one large sheet to the lid, with only the hygrometer cut out for my digital hygrometer. Figured I would line the bottom, and try to do the sides, under the removable tray. Maybe not line the whole thing, but enough to get the smell of Spanish cedar in there. Any thoughts? Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

I placed some loose sheets in my maple humidor and it seems to work fine. I have read posts where those with cooladors throw sheets of spanish cedar in with good results.

Paul

I buy spanish cedar from Woodcraft for $4.95 for a 3/16in. thick, 36" long X 4" wide sheets(I think the thicker sheets are $6.95). For around $25 to $35 you could line most hunidors. Of course, now your starting to see the downside of the whole exercise. If you love working with your hands, no prob! Otherwise, forget it. ;)

Hi all:

I am the proud author of the FAKE HUMIDOR pages! I have received legal threats and all, I will not back down. I also operate www.CigarExtras.com where we sell quality humidors, the same sold at your local tobacconists, only at better values.

I am not sure why you are all discussing the benefits of a cheap humidor made with wrong materials, they are poor constuction, have the worst hygrometer I have ever seen and the humidifiers are not designed for the capacity. Of course the worst is using the wrong wood on the interior. Maple has such a strong obnoxious odor, it will kill your cigars!

Now maybe I'm nuts, but we all buy expensive/costly cigars and then try to be cheap and buy a bargain humidor that is a perfect place to store your lighters and cutters....but not cigars. I do not claim to know anyone's budget, but I would strongly suggest you use a tupperware or coolidor if you want to be economical. If you want to show your expensive cigars in your den, office or living room, invest in a humidor that will last a lifetime and provide the quality you will not have to spend all your valuable time correcting, or augmenting to make it work and not smell rancid like the ones offered which I call FAKE HUMIDORS.

Cigars are made to be enjoyed, the few spare moments we have should be spent enjoying a fine cigar, not figuring out how to get the cheapest humidor and then waste your time trying to fix it. Do I have something to gain by writing about this fraud against the new and unseasoned cigar smoker, sure I do. On the other hand the reader of this information has even more to gain by not wasting his hard earned money buying garbage.

When you want to buy a real humidor, you can find us at www.CigarExtras.com, tell me you read this and I'll take good care of you!

Mike

Group: Members
Member No.: 3614
Let me get this straight, you joined CP in August and this is your first post.

WTF is up with that. :whistling:

Hi all:

I am the proud author of the FAKE HUMIDOR pages! I have received legal threats and all, I will not back down. I also operate www.CigarExtras.com where we sell quality humidors, the same sold at your local tobacconists, only at better values.

I am not sure why you are all discussing the benefits of a cheap humidor made with wrong materials, they are poor constuction, have the worst hygrometer I have ever seen and the humidifiers are not designed for the capacity. Of course the worst is using the wrong wood on the interior. Maple has such a strong obnoxious odor, it will kill your cigars!

Now maybe I'm nuts, but we all buy expensive/costly cigars and then try to be cheap and buy a bargain humidor that is a perfect place to store your lighters and cutters....but not cigars. I do not claim to know anyone's budget, but I would strongly suggest you use a tupperware or coolidor if you want to be economical. If you want to show your expensive cigars in your den, office or living room, invest in a humidor that will last a lifetime and provide the quality you will not have to spend all your valuable time correcting, or augmenting to make it work and not smell rancid like the ones offered which I call FAKE HUMIDORS.

Cigars are made to be enjoyed, the few spare moments we have should be spent enjoying a fine cigar, not figuring out how to get the cheapest humidor and then waste your time trying to fix it. Do I have something to gain by writing about this fraud against the new and unseasoned cigar smoker, sure I do. On the other hand the reader of this information has even more to gain by not wasting his hard earned money buying garbage.

When you want to buy a real humidor, you can find us at www.CigarExtras.com, tell me you read this and I'll take good care of you!

Mike

Wow, talk about random. Did I miss your introduction post?