• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidor Horror Story

natejustice

Justice for all
Last night I was flipping through a coupon clipper magazine and came across an ad for a Cigarette/Cigar Dealer/Outlet almost right down the street, the ad claimed they had a large humidor with a good selection of quality smokes to choose from. So I decided I would go check it out, I got there and they did have a pretty nice size humi on the wall, so I opened it up and low and behold, what did I spot on I would say 30 different sticks, was large spots of mold, very visible to the naked eye. :0 I was awestruck, as I was standing here looking at this, I think my heart skipped a beat.. i swear the temp. coming out of this humi was over 90 degrees, and it was way too overhumidified, with these cheap household humidifiers...more people should come to this board and learn a thing or two about proper cigar care...after seeing this I def. was not going to buy anything, but i looked around a little more, and i saw for sure signs of tobacco beetle damage on a lot of different sticks...after seeing what can happen firsthand to improperly cared for sticks, I really appreciate having this board as an information resource..

-nate

And I'm sure if you had said something to the clerk, he/she would have said they don't know anything about cigars and would have gone back to their comic book reading. That's the usual line you will get from those discount cigarette outlets.

Hello Nate,

What was the name of the store you visited? Just want to make sure I don't waste my time driving to it...

Thanks

It was called the Discount Cigarette Outlet, located in New Cumberland, PA, right outside Harrisburg, too bad they didn't take care of there sticks, they had a decent selection.

-nate

You would think large or small. The store would want to protect their investment and keep them in fairly good condition. The owners of these places are loosing alot of money by letting the cigars get this bad. It is unfortunate that there are places that just dont give a darn about the condition of their stock.

Thats why its good to go to a good B&M. You may pay a dollar or two more but usually the quality and knowledge of the employee or owner is better.

I was quite suprised to find a humidor in my local Piggly Wiggly, and even more suprised to find that it wasn't stocked with dog rockets... they have Punch, LGC, Montecristo, H. Upmann, El Rey Del Mundo, Excalibur 1066, Olivia, Partargas, Sancho Panza, and a few others... Some AF Curly Heads were the low end of the spectrum there... and they seem to take good care of them. Prices were actually comparable if not a bit less than the b&m I frequent.

The grocery store is located in a fairly upscale neighborhood that I just moved into... may have somehting to do with them having a humidor and such a nice selection there. Nice to have quality smokes at my doorstep if I don't feel like smoking anything I have at home.

Im lucky to have two places basically across the street.

One is a humungo wine and liquor store with a cabinet and a nice selection and damn good prices. The only draw back is that dumb ass' sometimes leave the sliding glass doors open and sometimes the sticks are a little on the dry side. I usually give them a couple days in the humidor before I fire them up.

The other place, which is basically in the same shopping senter, is a discount tobacco place with a walk in humi. They have a very good selection and prices are pretty good but not quite as good as the liqour store. I try to patronize them when I can but Im always buying a stick when I buy beer etc at the liqour store.

Russell

And I'm sure if you had said something to the clerk, he/she would have said they don't know anything about cigars and would have gone back to their comic book reading. That's the usual line you will get from those discount cigarette outlets.

I've heard this enought times that I don't even say anything anymore. I live very close to 2 Indian Reservations that each have many of these discount tobacco, cigarette, cigar shops. There are maybe two of these places that I trust enought to buy sticks from, which is too bad as some of them offer very nice prices. Many of these shops use home humidifier systems in there humis, make me cringe.

I patronized a beer distributor last night that I have never gone to before and sitting out in the open, with no humidification device period, were a couple of different brands of cigars on the counter, cohiba, punch, etc...i feel bad for whomever will buy these, they gotta be dry as heck after sitting in a highly air conditioned environment like this.