• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hunting - The CigarPass way

I. . . trying to find a cheap deer lease around here . . .
Deer lease? . . . I thought you Texans were about freedom and all that bullshit.

Doc.

We are. One of those freedoms would be the right to do as we please on our own property, and another would be the right to NOT have yahoos with guns traipsing across our back pastures shooting cows they thought were deer. :rolleyes:

There's very little in the way of public lands in Texas, outside the state parks, where hunting is, of course, prohibited. And Texans take property rights pretty seriously.

~Boar

It's exactly the opposite here. If your land isn't legally posted, IE. no hunting, it's considered open land. We take our property rights seriously here as well and everyone has a right to the land no matter who owns it.

Doc.

Just a different way of looking at it, I suppose. Eastern Washington was much the same as your end of the country, except that pretty much everyone posted their land. Had to . . . heard of a guy in the area got shot sitting on a tree stump smoking a cigarette. Some idiot thought he was a bear. :rolleyes:

Probably has something to do with the manner each was originally settled and how long it's been so . . . personally, I prefer the idea that my fenceline means something, and even in town, we have "Castle Law" here.

So I went to the ranch this weekend for a little R&R. I went with my father-in-law who also enjoys good cigars, and his buddy. We got there on Friday morning after a 5 hour drive to the Texas hillcountry. We set up shop, which of course required a nice gar and a glass of whisky. After getting settled in we sat on the porch most of the evening spotting upwards of 30-40 deer, elk, red deer, red deer/elk hybrids, sika, fallow, etc. My father-in-laws buddy took two doe that night while I relaxed. We had the tunes on, good drinks, and good cigars. The game just get coming, even after shooting two deer.

Saturday morning I stalked a nice gobbler after not having a chance to take a shot on him from the porch. By the time I found him he knew I was there so my shot was roughly 200 yards, standing, on top of an 80ft cliff face, with a moving target on the creek bottom below. I had about 2 seconds to take the shot but missed unfortunately. I didn't want a body shot because that ruins meat so it was a long shot to say the least. Oh well, he'll be there next time I go.

Anyways, that afternoon I was sitting on the porch with a nice HdM, glass of JW blue, my rifle etc and a spike buck walks out to join the other 15-20 deer. I decided to cull him so he didn't procreate. Took him down, cleaned him up and went back to the porch.

All in all, it was a rough hunt. ;) Life doesn't get much better, actually. Here's my deer blind. FYI, the suppressed AR was ready in the event a pig or coyote decided to come up and sniff the gut pile. I don't hunt game with it, just pest control.

20081111_1565.jpg

Cabin001.jpg

hope you guys get some time to hang out in the woods. Its a great way to unwind from the big city.

Damn that sounds like fun. I am a city boy and never been hunting for anything. I am trying to find some guys and try my hand at turkey hunting in the spring. We'll see how that goes.

Gawl,

you can find affordable leases, typically. they may not have the numbers or sizes that some hunters are after.. You can also hunt in the national forest. Just check the laws, its been a few years since I've hunted the national forest. The state forest you have to apply and get a license to hunt in, also check these laws. You don't have to have a lease by any stretch in Texas

Doc, anywhere you damn well please? You mean on government owned land, not private, right? Because I'm pretty sure if you walk onto someone's private land and start hunting you'll probably get shot or arrested or both. Something tells me much of Vermont is privately owned land. I'm sure its the same as here, state and national parks allow public hunting. I just can't see hopping someones barbed wire fence to go hunting being a good idea, whether its not posted or not. Roun' here that's poaching. Not to mention, some yahoo hopping your fence, slipping in the mud, breaking a leg and suing your ass off. I have a sneaking suspision anyone with private land posts no hunting. god knows i would.

FYI this is an excerpt from Vermont's hunting guide. Its more leniant than texas for sure. In texas if you cross a fence line you better be tracking a wounded deer and you better have left your firearm on the other side of the fence.

Whenever possible, the hunter or fisherman should check
with the landowner before going onto his or her land.
The right to hunt or fish on privately owned land is not
guaranteed by your hunting or fishing license. The privilege
of using private land for your recreation is extended to you
by the generosity of the landowner. It is illegal to damage
or remove posters prohibiting hunting, fishing or trapping.

Petthefish, we high fence to maintain our population. Unfortunately, not all folks are as determined as we are to manage appropriately. Too many people would see an elk and blast it because they saw an elk. It guarantees our animals are maintained unless they are poached. Poachers are more likely to be killed than game around here.

Doc, you hunt your way and I'll hunt mine. Don't down play me and say that I give hunters a bad name and I won't think your an ass for trashing my post.

If you can't get close enough to shoot it with a handgun or put an arrow in it you ain't huntin'.

My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

If you can't get close enough to shoot it with a handgun or put an arrow in it you ain't huntin'.

My 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

I have friends that use spears. Not dogs and spears, which is more common than common sense might suggest among hog hunters down here in Texas. Just spears. They've taken a buffalo and quite a few Russian boar that way.

If I wasn't 50 and slow . . . :cool:

~Boar

The real important question here is, is that a Surefire can or a YHM Phantom ;)?

The real important question here is, is that a Surefire can or a YHM Phantom ;)?

ahh hah, someone who knows.. its a phantom. my next second phantom has the paperwork in as we speak. 7.62, for the 308. I shoot so much lately, it'll really save in the long run. My sbr paperwork for the AR is also in.

I've taken a hog with a knife when I was in my early 20's. No dog either. I jumped a pair on a 4 wheeler and got lucky enough to catch a sow by the foot. The first cut was poor in the shoulder, I thought it was going to get ugly but had time to re-stick behind the shoulder. Once the blade was in I gutted up and down until the pig stopped. I'm not sure if I would take on a full size male though. From my experience they aren't really aggressive as much as they are just trying to get away. But considering their size and the tusks, just getting away would probably hurt pretty bad. Just grabbing a sow and clambering around in the dirt was enough to put several bruises on me and a cut from a hoof on my arm.

edited to add.. Russian boar are a totally different ballgame. I'm guessing they were feral hogs (referencing notaniceperson), as the two are pretty easily confused. If not, they got bigger nuts than I ever will. Russian boar are seriously mean. Feral hogs are just a little mean. I've thought about attempting to take a deer this way, but I'm more afraid of wounding a deer than I am a hog. I doubt I'd ever make an attempt on a deer. Although, I've seen a friend of mine put powder burns on a deer with a handgun. In your face close. But he's one of those freaks who's capable of sitting completely motionless for hours on end.

It's exactly the opposite here. If your land isn't legally posted, IE. no hunting, it's considered open land. We take our property rights seriously here as well and everyone has a right to the land no matter who owns it.

Doc.

That sounds incredibly stupid. If some jerk came into my backyard and started shooting the shed thinking it was a large, chromatic elephant I would be rather pissed off. Everyone having the right to someone's land is absolutely weird.

My land is my land, until I sell it or die. I pay for it... the stranger in my backyard does not.

ahh hah, someone who knows.. its a phantom. my next second phantom has the paperwork in as we speak. 7.62, for the 308. I shoot so much lately, it'll really save in the long run. My sbr paperwork for the AR is also in.

What is the point in suppresing an AR15? The sonic crack that you get from the .223 round makes a suppresor pointless. Most Supressor dealers will do there best to talk you out of buying a supressor for an AR15 its so pointless. Unless you are using Subsonic rounds, which is quite dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Supressing the .308 on the other hand is a good idea. Though I still have one more question? How is paying hundreds on a suppresor and $200 on the Tax Stamp going to save you money in the long run? Though they can help accuracy some, it is definately not going to help that much. With the type of weapons you are shooting especially. Those firearms are capable on pinpoint accuracy as is. I am looking forward to hearing your reasoning on this matter.
B

Doc.

That sounds incredibly stupid. If some jerk came into my backyard and started shooting the shed thinking it was a large, chromatic elephant I would be rather pissed off. Everyone having the right to someone's land is absolutely weird.

My land is my land, until I sell it or die. I pay for it... the stranger in my backyard does not.
Well, first of all it's illegal to hunt within 500ft. of a building. Second of all, you could post your land. The natives will hate you, of course, and call you a know-it-all flatlander. Some Woodchucks, will take great offense for posting land their 7 generations have been hunting on and make you miserable and regret you even thought of doing such a thing. It works for us and we ain't changing the way we do things around here. Fuggin' Flatlanders. :laugh:

Doc.

I hunt in New Jersey so no one should complain if I'm not complaining. I do shotgun and black powered. Just this past Saturday we started pheasant hunting. My 7 year old daughter wanted to come out with me. She can not hunt yet, have to be 10 in NJ. But she got to walk around and see what it's like. She wants to go again. :thumbs: I also get to hunt with my dad. These two reasons make it such a great time. I look forward to the time.

As for deer hunting I do try to take the time and do a little walking around on some state land looking where dad, my buddy, and myself should set ourselves up. I enjoy just being out in the woods relaxing and I'm no where near Doc's age.

DG

edited to add.. Russian boar are a totally different ballgame. I'm guessing they were feral hogs (referencing notaniceperson), as the two are pretty easily confused. If not, they got bigger nuts than I ever will. Russian boar are seriously mean.

Imported Russian boar. Yes, these guys clank when they walk. :D

They call themselves the Brotherhood of the Sacred Hunt and used to have pics from both the buffalo and the boar hunt up on a website . . . but the site's been taken over by squatters and I lost touch with the group a couple years ago. I'll have to see if I can track Weyland down and get some to post.

~Boar

What is the point in suppresing an AR15? The sonic crack that you get from the .223 round makes a suppresor pointless. Most Supressor dealers will do there best to talk you out of buying a supressor for an AR15 its so pointless. Unless you are using Subsonic rounds, which is quite dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. Supressing the .308 on the other hand is a good idea. Though I still have one more question? How is paying hundreds on a suppresor and $200 on the Tax Stamp going to save you money in the long run? Though they can help accuracy some, it is definately not going to help that much. With the type of weapons you are shooting especially. Those firearms are capable on pinpoint accuracy as is. I am looking forward to hearing your reasoning on this matter.
B

Suppressing any firearm with bullet velocity above the speed of sound is "pointless." I use them because I shoot several hundred rounds or more a week. A suppressed AR is not quiet by any stretch, but its no louder than a 22. The concussion from a 5.56 is pretty high for its size, and this concussion is almost gone when suppressed. It doesn't save me money in the long run, it saves ME in the long run. My ears namely. It definitely drops the sound level to a point where you don't have to wear muffs if you wanted. I still wear them, but its not painful to shoot without them like it would be if you didn't have a suppressor.

If you dump a mag without muffs on your ears will ring at best. At worst you'll sustain some hearing damage. If you dump a mag with a suppressor on you'll barely even notice you had been firing.

Without a suppressor an AR15 with a 16" barrel will run around 165db, with a suppressor it'll run down around 130db. 140db is the point where osha says you should wear hearing protection for even brief exposures.

oh ya, i forgot to mention, they're cool too. and will soon be impossible to purchase turning my hundreds of dollar investment into thousands of dollar investments. Its very similar to a Mac 10. They were 190 bucks in 1986 before the machine gun ban. Today they're 3-4 thousand. Hows about that for making a profit. I know some fellas who invested 10 grand in FA weapons and turned it into over 300k in 15 years. Pretty solid investment if you ask me.

Tony, that sounds like an awesome couple days! I am damn jealous, and since you don't ever have paid hunts how bout I just bring the cigars ;)

you make it down here on a weekend that I'm going hunting and you got a rack to sleep in!

Here are some results on the suppressor I own.

Without 164.76 dB With 136.01 Reduction 28.75 dB

From OSHA: 115db is far, far les then 140 db. It is a logarithmic scale after all.

TABLE G-16 - PERMISSIBLE NOISE EXPOSURES (1)
|
8...........................| 90
6...........................| 92
4...........................| 95
3...........................| 97
2...........................| 100
1 1/2 ......................| 102
1...........................| 105
1/2 ........................| 110
1/4 or less................| 115
____________________________|________________________________

1910.95(d)(2)(i)

"All continuous, intermittent and impulsive sound levels from 80 decibels to 130 decibels shall be integrated into the noise measurements."

If you aren't wearing plugs or mickey mouse ears and are shooting a bunch of rounds you've already lost hearing.

It definitely drops the sound level to a point where you don't have to wear muffs if you wanted. I still wear them, but its not painful to shoot without them like it would be if you didn't have a suppressor.

If you dump a mag without muffs on your ears will ring at best. At worst you'll sustain some hearing damage. If you dump a mag with a suppressor on you'll barely even notice you had been firing.

Without a suppressor an AR15 with a 16" barrel will run around 165db, with a suppressor it'll run down around 130db. 140db is the point where osha says you should wear hearing protection for even brief exposures.

but in comparison to 165, its an amazing reduction. Also, those db levels are in front of the rifle. I'm sure being behind the rifle the db levels are lower. It really does make a vast improvement than without. Do i need one? absolutely not. But hey, I don't need cigars either and I have far more invested in those than a suppressor.

personal preference