• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

If the shop's a rockin', ya'll come knockin!

jgohlke

My other hobby
A while back I posted a thread asking for advice about some stereo equipment. Specifically I was trying to outfit my workshop with some new tunes and I wanted to be able to play my iPod. (Link to that thread).

It started off pretty simply, but with some good advice from everybody, the stuff I was looking at got better and better. Thanks for stretching me a bit. In the end, I parted with a few more dollars than I figured, but the new system totally rocks!

Thanks to JimK for the weblink. I learned a lot and eventually ended up down at my local GuitarCenter to buy the stuff. Thanks to Pittsey for the picture. When I first looked at, I thought it was nuts. But it grew on me and once I heard it loud and clean, I was hooked. I went back to the store and visited a couple of times. Pulled the trigger last week.

I finally bought a pair of KRK Powered 8's and a small 5 channel mixer. I got all the cables too.

I spent yesterday building some shelves (those speakers are heavy!) and getting it all hooked up. I put in a new 15 amp breaker just to run the stereo so the tools cutting off and on won't interfere with the music. I added 2 outlets and 2 switches so I can flip them on and off without having to get behind the speakers (all the speaker controls are on the back). The mixer gives me some basic audio controls within easy reach (not specifically required, but it's nice). I built a little box to hold the iPod too. Here's the setup:
standard.jpg

At the top, you can see the new outlet and switches (1 switch for the speakers, 1 for the mixer). You can see the mixer and iPod under the right speaker. Here's a close-up:
standard.jpg

For the record, I played Mississippi Queen by Mountain for my first song.

Appreciate everyone's advice. It was a fun project.

Edits:minor typos

Nice setup!
You should cover the speakers to keep the dust out.

Great choice of music for a first song.

Nice work shop you got there Joe and a great 1st song as well....... :D :thumbs: :cool:

Where's the radio?

While I don't have pics I used a set of outdoor speakers (3 way w/6" woofers) powered by a $50 ebay Sony stereo receiver with remote. It gives me the ability to play radio, cd, or even TV audio if I choose and if I had an ipod I could play that too.

That's Awesome! I'm a big fan of exceeding original budgets. :thumbs:

Where's the radio?

In the trash! That was actually the main goal of the change. Since about the 3rd day of being an iPod owner, I can't take the radio. I switched my truck over to be able to play my iPod about a year ago and although I had a pretty nice radio in the shop, I found that I just wasn't listening to it. I would turn it on, but by the 2nd screaming car commercial I would shut if off. The last couple of months I would spend whole days out there without even turning the radio on. I missed listening to music.

We've been collecting CD's for a while and have also been buying digital music from iTunes and Amazon. I have a pretty large library of digital music (over 10,000 songs) I've ripped and downloaded mostly whole albums, so have the popular songs, plus the songs that didn't get much airplay. My iPod, on shuffle, is a great radio station! I hear stuff that I don't recognize all the time.

With the new setup, I can also bring my laptop out there and play one of the internet radio stations if I want. My goal is to never listen to another Clearchannel station if possible. I never want to hear Piano Man by Billy Joel or Magic Man by Heart. Ever!

Nice set-up!

Clearchannel sucks ass! BUBBA ARMY BUBBA ARMY BUBBA ARMY

nice. I have the rocket 5's on my office setup. KRK is realy great sound for the money.... Remember to wear ear protection :laugh: