• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I'm glad I knew better

Thanks for sharing this. I have run into the same conversation. I ask Is this mold? and they give me some crazy long answer on how it isn't and they take so much care of their sticks and humi. All the while the box in question is always by the electric humidifier. I let them have their soapbox and buy something else.

The real issue in a case like this is the surly attitude you were met with. If someone on my staff treated a customer like that.... (even if he looked like CJ). If he acts like this over mold, how is he going to react when someone asks to have their Acid and Padron put in separate baggies?

You have a staff?

Not since I got the wife pregnant a third time.

You and I need to stop drinking the same water.

The real issue in a case like this is the surly attitude you were met with. If someone on my staff treated a customer like that.... (even if he looked like CJ). If he acts like this over mold, how is he going to react when someone asks to have their Acid and Padron put in separate baggies?

You have a staff?

Not since I got the wife pregnant a third time.

You and I need to stop drinking the same water.

Or invest in a pair of Neuticles!

Wow, I've got to speak up for the boy. He has a professor who is the President of the Cigar Club at school thanks to Wkoti starting the cigar club. This professor is very very unhappy with him saying anything to the manager at the cigar shop. He seems to feel that he should of just kept his mouth shut, so as not to make the school or cigar club look bad. Holy F**K! Are you kidding me, I think there is some confusion over the customer-vendor relationship. This store should be kissing the clubs ass, as well as any other paying customer for that matter. I am in the customer business and regardless of whether the criticism is founded or not, my first job as a manager is to put the clients request at the top of the list. Not tell them to STFU because the are too(add adjective here) old, stupid, young, uneducated, or stupid to know anything about my business. Repeat after me "The customer is always right". I deal with ignorant homeowners on a daily basis who have as much knowledge about my business as I do about flying to the moon, and still I must treat them as if their opinion is important. I would be fired immediately if I were to tell a customer to shut up and leave. Even when the time comes to fire a customer, and that time does come from time to time, we still try to do so in as professional a manner as possible.

I cannot see what viewpoint this professor can be coming from that would justify anyone telling a customer to shut the F up and leave. He also states that Wkoti should have never even brought it up in the first place. Damn, what does his money not count because he is wet between the ears? I don't care who you are if you see sub par merchandise at a store, cigars or not, you have every right in the world to bring it to managements attention. this Professor has now threatened to expel Wkoti from the Cigar Club over his displeasure at the situation. What cigar club? The one that didn't exist until Wkoti got there? That cigar club? The club that might look bad because the relatively educated founder pointed out a box of moldy cigars in a local shop, and was immediately dismissed by a rude manager because he had the audacity to point it out. That Professor.......what a tool!

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!

**rant off**

I don't know what to say. I think you did them a great service, not only telling them about the moldly cigars but not necessarily outing them in the process. Still, I think one should know the name. Its one thing for a "bad" employee to try to explain it away...but really, should you have had to explain it to another? Shouldn't those same sticks been removed by the next time you were in there without mentioning it?

I wouldn't hold it against you or anything, but I really would be pissed if you didn't mention the name and I went in that place and bought a cigar that molded quickly and messed up my whole stash...wouldn't you feel the same way?

You gave them the benefit of the doubt, but irregardless, someone should be taking a look at the stock...right? Even if the guy was full of it, wouldn't one just remove the offending sticks after you left, just so it wasn't an issue again? Or maybe they just aren't that knowledgeable?

For what its worth, the only time I've seen sticks that bad in a b&m..its been a cheap gas station like b&m where they really don't know what the heck they are doing. I've never seen something like that from a reputable b&m...not to say it doesn't happen, but I bet they get it straightened out right away...

P3C

Thanks for adding more depth to the discussion and letting us know the other part of the equation our young Jedi is facing. What a load of horsecrap- at the end of the day it's all about the consumer and the seller- was it the clubs money being spent? NO...the only way I could see Wkoti even remotely being out of line would be if he used the club name in the discussion or threatened to take club business away from the store without first communicating so with his mates. Even then what true lover of cigars would side with a B&M over bad service and bad product???

Stay strong- you are doing things right.

R

Wow, I've got to speak up for the boy. He has a professor who is the President of the Cigar Club at school thanks to Wkoti starting the cigar club. This professor is very very unhappy with him saying anything to the manager at the cigar shop. He seems to feel that he should of just kept his mouth shut, so as not to make the school or cigar club look bad. Holy F**K! Are you kidding me, I think there is some confusion over the customer-vendor relationship. This store should be kissing the clubs ass, as well as any other paying customer for that matter. I am in the customer business and regardless of whether the criticism is founded or not, my first job as a manager is to put the clients request at the top of the list. Not tell them to STFU because the are too(add adjective here) old, stupid, young, uneducated, or stupid to know anything about my business. Repeat after me "The customer is always right". I deal with ignorant homeowners on a daily basis who have as much knowledge about my business as I do about flying to the moon, and still I must treat them as if their opinion is important. I would be fired immediately if I were to tell a customer to shut up and leave. Even when the time comes to fire a customer, and that time does come from time to time, we still try to do so in as professional a manner as possible.

I cannot see what viewpoint this professor can be coming from that would justify anyone telling a customer to shut the F up and leave. He also states that Wkoti should have never even brought it up in the first place. Damn, what does his money not count because he is wet between the ears? I don't care who you are if you see sub par merchandise at a store, cigars or not, you have every right in the world to bring it to managements attention. this Professor has now threatened to expel Wkoti from the Cigar Club over his displeasure at the situation. What cigar club? The one that didn't exist until Wkoti got there? That cigar club? The club that might look bad because the relatively educated founder pointed out a box of moldy cigars in a local shop, and was immediately dismissed by a rude manager because he had the audacity to point it out. That Professor.......what a tool!

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!

**rant off**

Why not just start another cigar club?

So I just received an email from my corrupt POS chef telling me not to go back to that B & M, and to shut my mouth anywhere the club or himself has to do business with. :angry:

I should smack both him and the lazy gouging employee...

Can you believe this bullsh*t?

I'm so done with this corrupt and unethical group!

So I just received an email from my corrupt POS chef telling me not to go back to that B & M, and to shut my mouth anywhere the club or himself has to do business with.
mad.gif

Tell him where to go and tell him that he has no right President or not to tell you where you can or can't go or who you can talk to... you're in Nevada not Moscow... I'd go EVERYWHERE the club has to do business but then again I'm spiteful old geezer...

So I just received an email from my corrupt POS chef telling me not to go back to that B & M, and to shut my mouth anywhere the club or himself has to do business with. :angry:

That really sucks. You really did the right thing now you are getting F'ed over it. It almost makes me wonder if there is something going on between the douches that you don't know about. I am sure that store is making quite a bit of money off of you guys and they might be giving the professor some of their "advertising" budget.

How close are you with the rest of the group? I would tell the professor to F off (that is unless you have any more classes of his) and take the majority of the club and leave him high and dry. Also, if it is an official school club and get at least even a little school funding I would report the entire situation to the board in charge of clubs at the school. Then again I really can be a spiteful son of a bitch so that might not be the best solution.

So I just received an email from my corrupt POS chef telling me not to go back to that B & M, and to shut my mouth anywhere the club or himself has to do business with.
mad.gif

That really sucks. You really did the right thing now you are getting F'ed over it. It almost makes me wonder if there is something going on between the douches that you don't know about. I am sure that store is making quite a bit of money off of you guys and they might be giving the professor some of their "advertising" budget.

How close are you with the rest of the group? I would tell the professor to F off (that is unless you have any more classes of his) and take the majority of the club and leave him high and dry. Also, if it is an official school club and get at least even a little school funding I would report the entire situation to the board in charge of clubs at the school. Then again I really can be a spiteful son of a bitch so that might not be the best solution.

This sounds like it could be something to think about.

I'd out the guy to the club and school...if it's a legit school cigar club(not sure about that one)!

Even so, as a club, you should have business meetings.

If you don't feel you have the support from the folks you hang with in the club, know that you have it with the online folks here! :thumbs:

If you do go down that road be sure to use media to your advantage as well. School newspapers and open forums. Perhaps even the local news might want a piece depeding on how they view the subject matter (smoking).

Sometime last year I visited a local B&M, only to find the box with the cigar I wanted to buy, looking just like the picture in the first post. The box right next to it was much worse. But it was only the two boxes.

Probably because I've read it here on CP somewhere that it might be a good idea to let them know, I did in fact let them know. Politely I explained that they had mold, and that I was especially bummed because it was on the cigars I went there for, and that it was just going to spread.

The manager I'm guessing, although was not rude or anything, was somewhat dismissive, almost like he was about to try to hint at plume, before realising that I knew what it was. He did pull the worst box off the shelf, but left the other one with with the cigars I was interested in. Most likely put it back on the shelf after I left. He didn't seem to care much at all.

I had never experienced or encountered any problems at this location before, so I did end up back there about a month later, to see if they had corrected the problem and to maybe pick something up. What I found was every wall of cigars in the humidor had several-many boxes covered in mold. I didn't say a word and I haven't been back since.

Welcome to the world of college. While certainly not all college profs are egomaniacs, I certainly have come across my fair share. Your "president" has exhibited behavior just as bad as that of the cigar shop employee's. Going over someone's head can be a risky move, especially someone who has the ego that this person is exhibiting. If you do this, be prepared for some backlash. Best to consider all ramifications before acting. Good luck to you, you've done everything right so far.

On a side note, any chance in getting your "president" to sign up here at CP? :whistling: :laugh:

Start another club. To hell with that professor and that guy at the B&M. Draw up a letter detailing your experience and your displeasure with the whole situation and have everyone here at CP who agrees with your position sign it and present it to them both. It more than likely won't accomplish anything but at least it'll show that about 300 people think that they're complete assholes. Or you could just go in there and tell that FUPA to suck your corona or whatever vitola you may have

:angry: F that and F your professor! You're getting screwed, man and it p***es me off! Who the F does this professor think he is??? Not sure how practical it is but I'd sever my ties with both the B&M and the professor as quick as possible. Life is too short to cowtow to dip****s.

Start another club. To hell with that professor and that guy at the B&M. Draw up a letter detailing your experience and your displeasure with the whole situation and have everyone here at CP who agrees with your position sign it and present it to them both. It more than likely won't accomplish anything but at least it'll show that about 300 people think that they're complete assholes. Or you could just go in there and tell that FUPA to suck your corona or whatever vitola you may have

You guys rock, thanks for all the support. I appreciate all the tips and help, this is such a major pain in a**. I about died when I read that Los, thanks for the pep up!!! :laugh:

After plenty of help from my pops, I have drafted this letter that will be sent out tomorrow morning, to any and all with a school email.

Dear Chef,

I must emphatically disagree with you regarding the entire handling of this Capital Cigar issue.

Let us start from the beginning. I saw a product displayed for sale at the store that was entirely unacceptable for sale, a box of cigars that were moldy due to their close proximity to the humidifier. (see Attachment A) Not only unacceptable for sale but had the potential to damage thousands of dollars worth of private collection cigars, both my cigars and those of the cigar club. I pulled aside the manager of the store to tell him of my concerns. His response to me was to “You’re too young to know anything, so don’t challenge my authority, where he pointed out it was plume not mold.” Now I did not approach him loudly or in front of other customers but a one on one situation in the humidor.

Had I not had a relationship with the store already and been working on enhancing that relationship to include the cigar club as well, I would have simply walked out and never spent another dime in that store based on the way I was treated. In the restaurant business we are criticized frequently regarding our product or service. Sometimes these criticisms are founded and sometimes there are not. But at no time can we respond to a guest in our establishment to “shut the F up, you don’t know what you are talking about.” I have never seen a situation where this is acceptable behavior from a business person toward a customer. Never! Period! This is a poor way to run a business.

After asking advice from other cigar enthusiasts I decided that I may have approached this manager poorly. I felt I should approach him again and see if I could express my concern to him in a different way. I brought a magnifying glass. His explanation after all, was these cigars were exhibiting Plume not mold. In case you didn’t know Plume or bloom is a fine white powder or dust like substance which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco as a result of proper aging. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged, and it can easily be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, this is a bluish or white fungus that stains the wrapper. Generally cigars in a Tobacconist store will not exhibit Plume for two reasons, they have not been aged long enough, and the constant handling of the sticks by customers will wipe off much of this material before it has a chance to show outwardly on an individual cigar. Many cigar collectors have been collecting for years without ever seeing Plume develop, so the chance of finding Plume on regular merchandise at this store is very small. I attempted to show the manager the cigars I was concerned about again and brought the glass for a closer inspection of this stock. I was treated rudely again and was told “Buy your sh*t, and get the F out.” I immediately went to another employee after this discussion, who calmly looked at the box of cigars, stated verbally that they were in fact moldy, and promptly removed them from the shelf. He also commented on the less than professional demeanor of the manager.

No business can treat customers poorly and expect to stay in business for long. I handled this exactly as I should have and was rudely told to shut up and go away. I have spoken to the owners of other cigar shops who have told me that they would appreciate any customer who brought an issue like this to their attention, and would welcome the chance to remedy the situation.

Now regarding your attitude in this situation. This was never a cigar club issue until you made it so. It was simply a consumer asking a question. This leads me to wonder if there are other agenda’s in play here aside from the School, and cigar club. Your threats to me regarding my removal from the cigar club, that was founded and then graciously asked you to chair as a way for the club to continue after my graduation is egregious at the very least. The purpose of this club is to introduce new cigar smokers to this hobby, to encourage the joy of smoking, to help them learn the correct ways to purchase and enjoy cigars, and to hopefully use that knowledge in the Food and Beverage industry upon their graduation. Your job as well as mine, and any other board members, are to look out for these new smokers and protect them from situations just like I tried to do. I would say your responsibility is to the School and the club to call out vendors that may have questionable products on the shelf. To ask tough questions of them so as to be safe in sending a new smoker into a particular store, website, or whatever to buy product that you have knowledge of. Your role is not to protect a single vendor from your students. We spend our own money, we buy products, and therefore the store, and any properly run establishment should go out of their way to make that process smooth. At all times you and this board should stand up and loudly argue with any vendor that would say to a customer “shut up, you don’t know what you are talking about.” The school and the club are customers first and foremost, you would not take sub par food products from a school vendor, instead would demand they provide quality products for your school and staff. You must take your position as President of the Cigar Club as a responsibility to teach, encourage, and watch out for unscrupulous cigar vendors of all sorts. The internet is full of people that would take advantage of the uninformed. If that is not a role you relish than I must respectfully ask you to step down as President and the Board and I will find another staff member who will take this charge seriously.

Now when you demand that I don’t say anything to Capital Cigars, and that I not go there again, you sir have stepped over the line. You expect a grown man to bow to your wishes simply because you have a different viewpoint. For you to tell me how and where to spend my money is foolish, and shows me a level of contempt I find troubling for a person who is supposed to shape young minds. For you to tell me what I can and cannot do while off campus is both arrogant, and misguided. You sir are wrong on this subject from the word go, and I cannot fathom a position where you think that treating a customer the way I was treated, in anyway is a poor reflection on you, the school, or the club. Your position is indefensible. Regardless of the situation any student in the cigar club to be treated this way should be backed, and the offending vendor should be discouraged from exhibiting this behavior toward anyone associated with the school. We are the customer’s, not the other way around. We hold the power as to whom we choose to spend our money with, and by god I will ask what ever questions as a consumer I feel important prior to making purchases. For you to pull me out of class on two separate occasions to scream your displeasure with me over this situation is also deeply troubling. My academic studies are much more important than my after hours hobby. I attempted to rationally discuss this with you and was summarily dismissed. You told me you had no interest in discussing this further, save the public verbal lashing you delivered in the hall out side class. For you to demand that I go and apologize to them over this matter is inane, and concerns me greatly coming from a person responsible for teaching the next generation of customer service managers.

All this drama and the school and club receive no benefits from this store save a paltry 5% discount offered to the students. After this has been resolved I am sure that discount can be raised to actually provide a real tangible benefit to the club and students, by Capital Cigars if this is resolved properly, or by another vendor that knows how to treat knowledgeable customers.

One thing I have not done yet is to publicly proclaim my displeasure at Capital Cigars. I quite frankly enjoyed the relationship I had begun to develop with them, and until these two unfortunate episodes with the store manager was quite happy to continue doing business with them. I mentioned this in the first place to simply bring this box of cigars to their attention, but also to protect my cigars and those of others. I was vindicated in that the cigars were in fact found to be moldy and pulled out of stock. My plan now is to speak with the store owner to see if he feels as though his manager’s treatment of me was fair. If he in fact thinks that was the correct way to handle the situation, then I will know where I stand. My assumption is that the owner will be shocked at the poor manner in which I was treated, he will apologize and he will assure me that neither I, nor any other customers will ever be treated this way again, regardless if the cause of the original concern is found to be true or not.

If this situation is not resolved in this manner, than I shall spread the word far and wide just how badly the Capital Cigars store is run. I will, on a national level, tell anyone who will listen to me at how poorly I was treated, and to never do business with them again. I assure you I have a big mouth and will go out of my way to disparage this shop.

Chef, if you truly care about your students, your school, and your club you will help me in this endeavor vigorously. This is no way for a charge of yours or the school to be treated, by anyone, ever!

Attachment A

mms_picture.jpg