• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

The American Society of Mechanical Engineers has a standard for abbreviations and Acronyms. ASME Y14.38.  :D  

We probably have a nice amount of foreign members for whom abbreviations just add another level of interpretation. 

Effect and affect are frequently used incorrectly.  A minor mistake as grammar mistakes go but it still irks me.

Effect and affect are frequently used incorrectly. A minor mistake as grammar mistakes go but it still irks me.

Affect is a verb and means to influence something. Effect is a noun and means the result.

Folks that actually passed their English classes could possibly know the difference but I suspect it's just general laziness.

It's a bit like the whole your vs. you're idea ....... just different .......

Reactions: djm
Affect is a verb and means to influence something. Effect is a noun and means the result.

Folks that actually passed their English classes could possibly know the difference but I suspect it's just general laziness.

It's a bit like the whole your vs. you're idea ....... just different .......
Effect can occasionally be a verb, meaning to bring about, but it is rarely used that way. 👍