• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In regard to spelling and grammar

Having learned to type in the late 60's I've always been a two spacer at the end of a sentence. Unlike Doc though, I was taught just one space at the end of Mr. & Mrs.. See.

I get a lot of older students who are returning to school in my English Composition classes who use two spaces after punctuation marks. I just tell them to be consistent in its usage instead of trying to teach them the current fashion.

Worst habit I've had to break concerns many of the veterans writing papers all in caps. I say there's no need to yell at me with your writing.

Do you mean veterans as in ex-military or just older students? Curious as to who would type an entire paper in all caps.

Yes, veterans as in ex-military. One army vet from the Vietnam era and a navy vet from the early '80s. Both turned in their first essays in all caps. They each told me it was the way they wrote in the military.

I was born in 1971 and was taught two spaces at the end of a sentence.

I was born in 1971 and was taught two spaces at the end of a sentence.

I was born in 1960 and I spaced from 1975 to 1985. But in all seriousness; my grammar, punctuation and spelling, all suck. I religiously use spell check and try my best to read and re-read what I write here and elsewhere. IMHO, it’s a matter of respect to those reading my thoughts, direction or rambling.

That's pretty good. I made the "their/there/they're" mistake on here the other day, but it was pre-coffee so I'm claiming a mulligan. One thing I would like to see added to that list is "of/have". As in "I should of worn a coat today." That is starting to get prevalent now.

You know, lots of people do it these days, but the use of "prolly" where you should have typed "probably" really burns my bacon. Not sure why, but it really annoys me.

Oh, and I learned to type on an old manual bar type typewriter in the 7th grade, so it's two spaces after the period for me, too.

Back then, we rode our Brontosaurs to school and had to use a hammer and chisel to take notes......;)

You know, lots of people do it these days, but the use of "prolly" where you should have typed "probably" really burns my bacon. Not sure why, but it really annoys me.

Oh, and I learned to type on an old manual bar type typewriter in the 7th grade, so it's two spaces after the period for me, too.

Back then, we rode our Brontosaurs to school and had to use a hammer and chisel to take notes......;)

You had hammers and chisels? Lucky you. I had to use a burnt piece of bone on piece of slate.

Doc.

You had hammers and chisels? Lucky you. I had to use a burnt piece of bone on piece of slate.

Doc.

You had fire back then? :D

I wasn't sure about that. Isn't "people" referring to a group, therefore the apostrophe goes after, or is "people" a singular group?

He is using the word as belonging to that group, so it is possessive, therefore should be people's.

Did you join my army?

Who knew this post would send Gonz on hiatus for a couple years!

Tone-ny...stop bullying your peoples!

Oh yea...TOP for oscar!

Bump for djkojione who has decided he's above having to use capital letters.

I wasn't sure about that. Isn't "people" referring to a group, therefore the apostrophe goes after, or is "people" a singular group?

He is using the word as belonging to that group, so it is possessive, therefore should be people's.

Did you join my army?

Who knew this post would send Gonz on hiatus for a couple years!

Tone-ny...stop bullying your peoples!

Oh yea...TOP for oscar!

Man so true!