• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In Theaters/Rentals: What Have You Seen Lately?

Tall Paul said:
Safe Haven!

Yep once again TP brings to you a chick flick love story that blew my mind! The movie is based on a Nicholas Sparks novel and the wife just finished the book and wanted to go see it. I figured it was going to be a snoozer and I would catch up on a little sleep. The opening scene had me hooked! If your wife or significant other wants to see this movie I HIGHLY recommend it. I am really good at predicting movies and this ending was MIND BLOWING! I never saw the ending coming at all.

Enjoy,
Paul

PS It is normal for a grown man to cry in the theater...twice!  :laugh:

ETA: Julianne Hough is SO HOT!
 I hate you so much TP! We were kindred spirits all throughout this thread until this review!

I HATE Safe Haven.  I decided to take the lovely GF to the movies to see this thing, and as someone who is currently employed in a certain career, I was pretty pissed off at the lack of plausibility that a situation that the movie centered around would actually happen that would abruptly end with someone being in jail, and NOT...absolutely NOT being allowed to stay on the job and drink on the job unnoticed and send out fake WANTED alerts while fulfilling their creepy fantasies.  The movie really pissed me off in that respect.  And my girlfriend.

She and I both agreed...the movie seemed like it could've aired on Lifetime.  The production value appeared so poorly.  Just my two cents.

The girlfriend (sorry, this is a GF heavy post) bought be Skyfall without me knowing for V Day, and damn I'm stoked!! So happy. I love that movie.

souldog said:
Safe Haven!

Yep once again TP brings to you a chick flick love story that blew my mind! The movie is based on a Nicholas Sparks novel and the wife just finished the book and wanted to go see it. I figured it was going to be a snoozer and I would catch up on a little sleep. The opening scene had me hooked! If your wife or significant other wants to see this movie I HIGHLY recommend it. I am really good at predicting movies and this ending was MIND BLOWING! I never saw the ending coming at all.

Enjoy,
Paul

I hate you so much TP! We were kindred spirits all throughout this thread until this review!

I HATE Safe Haven.  I decided to take the lovely GF to the movies to see this thing, and as someone who is currently employed in a certain career, I was pretty pissed off at the lack of plausibility that a situation that the movie centered around would actually happen that would abruptly end with someone being in jail, and NOT...absolutely NOT being allowed to stay on the job and drink on the job unnoticed and send out fake WANTED alerts while fulfilling their creepy fantasies.  The movie really pissed me off in that respect.  And my girlfriend.

She and I both agreed...the movie seemed like it could've aired on Lifetime.  The production value appeared so poorly.  Just my two cents.

The girlfriend (sorry, this is a GF heavy post) bought be Skyfall without me knowing for V Day, and damn I'm stoked!! So happy. I love that movie.

I was actually going to PM you and tell you to watch it with an open mind due to what you do! Clearly that major part of the movie would not happen in real life. However what did you think about the surprise at the ending, did you see that coming?

Watched Expendables 2 from Netflix this weekend---why I put it in my queue after having actually SEEN Expendables 1, I don't know, but it turned out to be a fun watch.  Same horrible dialogue and even worse acting as the first one, but this time they kept the painfully bad talking to a minimum and just blew shit up instead.  :laugh:

It's not an even remotely new movie, but I watched Hitchcock's Rear Window the other night for my cinema class.  Taking it into the context of its time period, that was a damn good film.  I think what I liked best about it is how he worked the music/score.  Every time you think that you are hearing some dubbed in music ("non-diegetic" sound, for those who care about filmmaking), he brings it back and you realize that almost all the music you hear in the movie is coming from the songwriter's apartment.  I thought that was a pretty cool approach to keeping everything set within the little world of the apartment complex.

Also, you can keep your Julianne Hough.  They don't make them like Grace Kelly anymore...

Tall Paul said:
Safe Haven!

Enjoy,
Paul

I was actually going to PM you and tell you to watch it with an open mind due to what you do! Clearly that major part of the movie would not happen in real life. However what did you think about the surprise at the ending, did you see that coming?

I forgot about that actually. I and my girlfriend weren't actually surprised, we more had a "WTF?!?" Moment until we realized what was happening and was like "Ohhh.... Hmm. They could've set it up better." Lol. Sorry, we were both just "over it" by the end of the movie brother! :laugh:

I don't know if I posted about this before, but Seven Psychopaths is a must see! Walken is at his best.

"...and don't tell these scum-suckin' mothaf***ers nothin!!!!!"

souldog said:
I don't know if I posted about this before, but Seven Psychopaths is a must see! Walken is at his best.

"...and don't tell these scum-suckin' mothaf***ers nothin!!!!!"

Yep, caught that one last weekend---strange, strange movie (which I tend to like, actually) and so much incredible acting going on the lack of an actual plot just didn't matter!  :thumbs:

~Boar

kann said:
It's not an even remotely new movie, but I watched Hitchcock's Rear Window the other night for my cinema class.  Taking it into the context of its time period, that was a damn good film.  I think what I liked best about it is how he worked the music/score.  Every time you think that you are hearing some dubbed in music ("non-diegetic" sound, for those who care about filmmaking), he brings it back and you realize that almost all the music you hear in the movie is coming from the songwriter's apartment.  I thought that was a pretty cool approach to keeping everything set within the little world of the apartment complex.

Also, you can keep your Julianne Hough.  They don't make them like Grace Kelly anymore...

I don't think you need any qualifiers about context to praise a Hitchcock film. His body of work is without equal.

Just watched "The Watch".  It was average...storyline was a little jumpy...felt more like a quick production bringing in big names for a quick buck.

Backslide said:
CJ said that Brokeback Mountain was a fantastic movie.

That's bias, seeming as though he was in it...

gallery_13416_1483_5444.jpg

-21 and Over. To me this movie was very funny at times but dragged and was a reach at times. Still go see it if your a fan of this type of comedy like Super Bad.

-Olympus Has Fallen! Excellent movie IMO it is a must see action packed movie. Gerard Butler has been letting me down lately with all the chick flick love story's hes been doing. He hasn't had a bad ass role since 300 till now. He kicks some serious ass in this flick. Great cast, great sound effects, and special effects are outstanding.

I hope you enjoy it as much as the wife and I

The wife, kid,  my sister, her boyfriend, and myself went to see Oz The Great And Powerfulll. Wouldnt recommend it.

Watched Bride Maids with my girl Sat. and watched Zero Dark Thirty by myself afterwards. Brides Maids was way funnier than I thought it was going to be. ZDT was quite surreal because it took me back to 2001 and how it affected my life, even now. Either way, it was a really good movie.

Finally saw End of Watch.  Just . . . woah.  Seriously heavy movie.  Great stuff.  Watched Skyfall over the weekend---TWICE.  I'm a huge Bond fan and usually see them in the theater, but didn't make it to this one.  Terrific, terrific installment in the franchise.  Javier Bardem (from No Country For Old Men) seems intent on proving that he has a seemingly endless supply of creepifying, repellant, scary bad guys in his repertoire. 

~Boar

I also saw Zero Dark Thirty but it was late and I was dozing.... I will be renting it again today to watch it with the misses. For what I saw it was very good and can't wait to see it when I am actually alert.

Going to see BURN thursday, As I stated in my other thread. CANT WAIT! I sent out a movie poster to Dennis Leary Hes signing it and sending it to Detroit to have the FD sign it and send it back so we can frame it and hang it in the Fire House. If anyone gets a chance to see this movie PLEASE GO FOR IT! Ill let you know how it was.

Watched a number of movie rentals lately.

Zero Dark Thirty:  Excellent movie, highly recommended.  4 out of 5
Pirates of the Caribbean: Stranger Tides:  Ehhh... 3 out of 5
Our Idiot Brother: This one was actually pretty good.  It's not as dumb as it seems in the commercials.  4 out of 5
Safe: Transporter 5?  3 out of 5
Moneyball: Great movie about baseball.  The next Field of Dreams?  Reminds me more of The Blindside.  5 out of 5
The Cabin in the Woods: Great non-thinking movie.  And...I'm a cheesy horror fan so I might be a little biased.  4 out of 5
War Horse: Couldn't get past the first hour.  Returned.
Sneakers:  Classic 90's movie with an awesome cast.  4 out of 5
Moonrise Kingdom: Typical Wes Anderson movie, not as good as the Royal Tenebaums but decent.  4 out of 5
Anonymous: This was a good period piece.  4 out of 5
Hop: I couldn't pay attention long enough.  2 out of 5
Harold & Kumar Christmas:  Liked the first 2, this was a weak follow up.  2 out of 5
The Vow:  Semi-decent romance (semi-comedy) movie based on a real life story.  3 out of 5

Taken 2 this past weekend.  A bit "greatest hit moments from Taken clunky," but good action sequences and a decent watch overall.  But I'm starting to worry that Liam Neeson needs the money a bit too much, and will begin to do embarrassingly bad things.

~Boar