• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Interesting question about Sovereign Nations

PJ the Comic

Official Illusione Whore
Can or do Indian reservations sell Cuban cigars. I have searched and did not find any info on CP.
As sovereign nations are they entitled to make their own decisions regarding trade with Cuba?

i cant mention source here, but i have some Mohawk friends in the middle of canada that can answer that question for you.

Can or do Indian reservations sell Cuban cigars. I have searched and did not find any info on CP.
As sovereign nations are they entitled to make their own decisions regarding trade with Cuba?

No idea for sure, one way or the other... ??? However, considering it logically - they are wholly contained within the US which would mean that the product in question would have to ship through the US to get to them. Since it's unlawful to bring it to the US, I'd guess the answer would be "nope"

As pointed out by Drew, there are some 'native' shops up in the Great White North - got one a couple hours north of where I am, prices are slightly better than downtown Toronto shops (due to the tax situation) but still more expensive than overseas (due to the tax situation)

Well, inside the US, they are technically under the laws of the federal government. They are separate from the states in which they reside, but they still fall under federal jurisdiction (to my knowledge). I would think no.

Interesting question though.

I was thinking the same thing as a Native shop next to one of the places I and some others somke at has a humi full of cubans. I did not ask to look at them, but at first galnce the bands check out. I would think that everything said would make sense and it would not be acceptable for them to sell or have them.

Jim

I have a tobacco wholesale client that sells cigarettes and chewing tobacco to several Indian nations (Seneca and Cherokee). The state that contains the reservation does issue the reservation store a form of tax certificate that exempts them from state sales tax...that being said, the states do monitor the products generally. Unless a reservation has its own port or airport then I don't think they could get around telling the states what was being shipped on that state's roads.

The treaties are pretty good in protecting the sovereignty of the reservation but they have to play by rules. I always thought it was unfair that peyote was outlawed even on reservations. Native Americans have used peyote in religious ceremonies for centuries. Now they cannot. So, in my mind, no peyote = no Cuban cigars.

I was thinking the same thing as a Native shop next to one of the places I and some others somke at has a humi full of cubans. I did not ask to look at them, but at first galnce the bands check out. I would think that everything said would make sense and it would not be acceptable for them to sell or have them.

Jim

Jim, If you are talking about the place I think you are, don't buy them there. Absolute fugazi.