• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is it because I'm a newb?

Dr. Marneaus

I drive a station wagon
So, over the past few nights I've tried a few different Fuentes, I had one that was a Candela, a Short Story, and a Rothchild. I picked em up a few weeks ago hearing nothing but good about Fuentes.

Well, to put it bluntly, I probably wont buy another for a while....

It seems that everyone here is in love with the Fuente brand, but I just didn't enjoy it too much. Now, are my tastes simply not refined enough?

I understand, different strokes for different folks, but I was surprised that I find myself saying "yeah, dont buy one for quite some time."

I'll stick to Punch and some CAO Italias and Padrons for a bit I suppose.... I liked those.

Is it just a matter of taste do you think, or am I just too much of a Noob?

I'm trying to find the tastes I like, as I've said, I really enjoyed every Punch that I've smoked. Champion, a smaller one that I was gifted, the Rare Corojo. I enjoyed the CAO Italia, and I also enjoyed the Padron 3000's that I've had.

Any suggestions as for something similar to any of those that I should try?

Well, most people will probably tell you that they enjoy the harder to find Fuente's such as Hemingway Maduros, Anejos or Opus. All of which are limited releases, 1-4 times per year. I personally like Hemingway maddies, but most other Fuentes are just "OK" to me.

edit, typo

Fuente isn't a taste, though, they are a manufacturer. They make an awful lot of cigar lines, with quite varied tastes. Some you may like, some you may not.

What Moki said.

There are many Fuente's that I do not like but also many that I do.

rectifythis is right on the money as far as I am personally concerned. Smoke the Maduro's and Anejo's before you put a label on ALL Fuente's.

Brian

Yep, what they said...

If you didn't like the short story, try one of the maddy vitolas or an OpusX - they're very different smokes. Ditto the Anejo line.

I personally like the short story with coffee on a Saturday morning, or as a short smoke when I don't have time for something bigger.

But that doesn't mean that you have to like it, too. ;)

Keep doing what you're doing - try different lines from different manufacturers. Keep notes on what you like or don't like and why. Your tastes will change over time, but that doesn't mean you'll like the same thing that anyone else does.

That's part of the fun!

[edited to correct obvious typo]

What Moki said.

There are many Fuente's that I do not like but also many that I do.

rectifythis is right on the money as far as I am personally concerned. Smoke the Maduro's and Anejo's before you put a label on ALL Fuente's.

Brian
x3 I'm not big on most of the Fuente lines, but the Hemingway Maduro is in my top 3.

Blasphemy!!!!!

Ditto what other said, but Opus and Anejo flavor profiles i really dig. It's very subjective though, you have to learn for yourself what you like and dislike.

Why don't you first try a Hemingway Signature or Classic. I find these vitolas to be much smoother than the Short Story. The Short Story is great for a quick smoke, but the perfect quick smoke is something everyone struggles to find; mostly because the smaller vitolas are bitter or they just don't cut the mustard.

When I first started smoking I was in the same boat as you, everyone went on and on about Fuente and I just didn't get it. However, I had only smoked the same type of Fuente cigars that you have. Who knows, maybe the Fuentes won't turn your crank. It would save you a ton of money.

And I mean that literally: a ton of money.

You are obviously a communist! ;)

Like everybody else said try the different, more premium, Fuentes. If I could smoke only one brand it would be Fuente but I am not a fan of the Rothchild or the candela........now the Short Story is a great little smoke so I would suggest trying another one.

AT the risk of pissing people off, Oh hell, I don't really care if I piss some people off.

The Fuente products are extremely well made and very very consistent. The taste though is something that you like or don't like. Like certain brands of beer, or wine or whatever. What I like you may not like, and it has nothiing to do with your tastebuds.

Now, here's the pissing off part. The Fuente brand has a very loyal and very vocal internet cigar club followiing. It is evident here and STRONGLY evident on other boards, especially one. Anyway, to these boards and many of their members domestic products are rated as follows. Anything Fuente....great. Anything Padron...generally great. Anything else.....pretty much crap. Now we all know that General and others don't make crap cigars. If they did they'd be out of business and would have been out of business for years already.

Take what you read here and other places with a major grain of salt. The Fuentes have created a neat litle following here and on other boards, and that pollutes the opinions you get on cigars from other manufacturers to the point where something like the CAO Italia that you mentioned will be described as tasting like a$$ by people who have never actually tasted it. Non-Fuente and padron cigars tend to be disrespected and looked down upon by many on these boards. Not by everyone, but by many.

OK, done with that rant. Read what Moki wrote. He is wise. Fuente makes a broad line of cigars with a broad line of tastes. I guarantee that something they make will be appealing to you. For me, you couldn't get me to smoke the famous Opus line if you gave them to me for free. To me, they just don't taste good. BUT, if you sent me to a desert island and only gave me Don Carlos or Hemingway line cigars I'd never say one word of complaint.

If you like CAO Padron and Punch then unapologetically buy them and enjoy them. DON"T EVER think you are somehow un-initiated or too new to appreciate the good things just because your tastes go away from what you read here and other places. Smoke what you want, not what you think you should like based on what you read here. What you read can be a great guide if you are looking to try something new, but to think your taste buds are somehow wrong because you didn't follow the crowd is the wrong way to think.

Short answer......smoke what YOU like.

Cheers

AT the risk of pissing people off, Oh hell, I don't really care if I piss some people off.

The Fuente products are extremely well made and very very consistent. The taste though is something that you like or don't like. Like certain brands of beer, or wine or whatever. What I like you may not like, and it has nothiing to do with your tastebuds.

Now, here's the pissing off part. The Fuente brand has a very loyal and very vocal internet cigar club followiing. It is evident here and STRONGLY evident on other boards, especially one. Anyway, to these boards and many of their members domestic products are rated as follows. Anything Fuente....great. Anything Padron...generally great. Anything else.....pretty much crap. Now we all know that General and others don't make crap cigars. If they did they'd be out of business and would have been out of business for years already.

Take what you read here and other places with a major grain of salt. The Fuentes have created a neat litle following here and on other boards, and that pollutes the opinions you get on cigars from other manufacturers to the point where something like the CAO Italia that you mentioned will be described as tasting like a$$ by people who have never actually tasted it. Non-Fuente and padron cigars tend to be disrespected and looked down upon by many on these boards. Not by everyone, but by many.

OK, done with that rant. Read what Moki wrote. He is wise. Fuente makes a broad line of cigars with a broad line of tastes. I guarantee that something they make will be appealing to you. For me, you couldn't get me to smoke the famous Opus line if you gave them to me for free. To me, they just don't taste good. BUT, if you sent me to a desert island and only gave me Don Carlos or Hemingway line cigars I'd never say one word of complaint.

If you like CAO Padron and Punch then unapologetically buy them and enjoy them. DON"T EVER think you are somehow un-initiated or too new to appreciate the good things just because your tastes go away from what you read here and other places. Smoke what you want, not what you think you should like based on what you read here. What you read can be a great guide if you are looking to try something new, but to think your taste buds are somehow wrong because you didn't follow the crowd is the wrong way to think.

Cheers

Are you a communist too? Don't you realize that all other cigars are made just to distract attention away from the holy grail Fuentes? Oh damnit, now that I said that I will never be able to get the Fuentes I want!

All seriousness aside Doc, Scott is right! If you like a cigar then it's a good cigar for you and I don't think anybody here would ever attempt to change your likes & dislikes. Smoke em all and smoke the ones you like again.

Cheers

Ditto above. . .especially the bold parts. When I first started smoking about 6 years ago, it was La Rosa Especiales and El Rey Del Mundos. Then it was on to Torano and CAO. During that time, I ran into a few guys that raved about Fuentes. . . I just didn't get it. I tried a few and I was quite disappointed the handful of times I smoked an OPUS X cigar. . . didn't taste good, the strength overpowered the taste. . .was not an enjoyable experience at all. However, I liked the VSG's, and then began liking the Hemingway line. Don Carlos in the smaller ring size are excellent. . . . and even though I would pass on Opus if they were free (ok, I might try it one more time :D ) them Anejo's are probably my all around favorite smoke. :thumbs: Just can't get enough of them!!

So ditto the advice to listen to your taste buds. . . one of my favorite everyday cigars for yard work, golf, etc is a cheap, mixed-filler, mutt-looking cigar - the Curly Head Deluxe Maduro. Tastes good to me. . . .so I smoke em!

Try a Fuente Cuban Belicoso. If you like that one, then keep going. Maybe the Don Carlos next. Pretty much everything else that was mentioned as being more generally appealing to the devoted will also be more expensive and more difficult to find.

It's hard as a new smoker, but do try not to let the rhetoric and fanaticism color your experiences and decisions too much. Your confidence in your own taste will grow in time and with more smoking.

Wilkey

Andrew, if you haven't tried an Anejo by the time I get home in March I'll send one your way to try out.

So, over the past few nights I've tried a few different Fuentes, I had one that was a Candela, a Short Story, and a Rothchild. I picked em up a few weeks ago hearing nothing but good about Fuentes.

Well, to put it bluntly, I probably wont buy another for a while....

It seems that everyone here is in love with the Fuente brand, but I just didn't enjoy it too much. Now, are my tastes simply not refined enough?

I understand, different strokes for different folks, but I was surprised that I find myself saying "yeah, dont buy one for quite some time."

I'll stick to Punch and some CAO Italias and Padrons for a bit I suppose.... I liked those.

Is it just a matter of taste do you think, or am I just too much of a Noob?

I'm trying to find the tastes I like, as I've said, I really enjoyed every Punch that I've smoked. Champion, a smaller one that I was gifted, the Rare Corojo. I enjoyed the CAO Italia, and I also enjoyed the Padron 3000's that I've had.

Any suggestions as for something similar to any of those that I should try?

I know what the real problem is - you like Acids! :laugh:

Or I could send you a WOAM and see if that'll change your mind...let me know

Art

Don't you realize that all other cigars are made just to distract attention away from the holy grail Fuentes? Oh damnit, now that I said that I will never be able to get the Fuentes I want!

ROFLMAO

Try a Fuente Cuban Belicoso. If you like that one, then keep going. Maybe the Don Carlos next. Pretty much everything else that was mentioned as being more generally appealing to the devoted will also be more expensive and more difficult to find.

It's hard as a new smoker, but do try not to let the rhetoric and fanaticism color your experiences and decisions too much. Your confidence in your own taste will grow in time and with more smoking.

Wilkey

Ditto.

Thanks for all your responses guys, so here's my response. I'm probably not going to be able to hit all the points that y'all made tho, so bear with me.

First off, I dunno if it sounded like it or not, but I'm not trying to make myself like them, or trying to smoke them because I'm supposed to like them. I just found it odd that I didn't really enjoy 3 different cigars from what appears to be one of the most popular brands out there.

But, I guess I did not realize that there are so many variations of the Fuente brand. Perhaps there's something I would like, I do not know, and to be straight up, I dont know if I could afford many (if any) and I dont even know where to look, I didnt see much at my local B&Ms, but then again, I guess I do live like 2 miles away from Casa Fuente :) never been tho.

Uhm, what else to say. Oh, I do plan on smoking what I like, I'm not worried about that, but as one of you said, it's tough being new to this, there's so much out there, and every opinion is so objective.

So, I guess I'll have to keep searchin and tryin' new things. I'll see what they got at my semi-reasonably priced B&M's but I dont think I can even consider Casa Fuente, from what I've heard about their prices.

For those who offered to help me out, I dont really know what to say at the moment, I still cant get over the kindness and generosity of all the members of this site.