• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Is music more important to the older generations?

C'mon now, don't forget RUN DMC. "Beat Box" is a classic, and their duet with Aerosmith crashed pop radio and resurrected Aerosmith to a whole new generation.

Jay-Z, Ludacris, Outkast all brought out some solid beats and rthyms in recent years.

The Black Eye Peas ??? The fact their their name is a vegetable pretty much sums it up.

You're right about Run DMC. I always forget that Run DMC isn't part of Def Jam because of their connection with Rick Rubin and Russel Simmons. Without Run DMC, there's no golden age of hip hop.
King of Rock FTW, IMO! LOL, that is the limit of my rap knowledge. I think I am like the "Bowling for Soup" song and I am still preoccupied with 1985.

Bowling for Soup 1985

Most certainly it is less important. Just look at sales across the board, be it real media or digital downloads. Look at concert attendence, look at all the clubs that have closed. The limited attention span of the current generations, the ease of availability and the over-driven hype machines for mediocre or worse artists have jaded the audience to a point where they have to constantly look for something new whether or not they understood or even cared about what they heard previously. You just don't see people collecting everything by an artist anymore because he really spoke what they were thinking or feeling. I have artists I've followed for decades because what they say means something to me. Not every song or every line but it's there.

Nobody is going to be able to sing along with Pink's "So What" (#1 9/27/08) in 40 years but I'd bet I could sing along with most if not every #1 song of 1968, not that any of you would want to hear it ;)

I'm gonna have to disagree with you, I have everything that many artists have made and I still get excited when I hear that a new album is coming. Just because there is so much bad music out there now doesn't mean that there is nothing good either.

Nobody is going to be able to sing along with Pink's "So What" (#1 9/27/08) in 40 years but I'd bet I could sing along with most if not every #1 song of 1968, not that any of you would want to hear it ;)

Ah Pink... :shudders: Nice lookin' gal, but definitely ripe for joining the mindless-party-girl-feel-good-music category. Her, along with Spears, Lavigne, Lohan, Cyrus, and the rest of those overpriced freaks.

On the other hand, I can't beat a Radiohead album, and I definitely have collected everything Project 86, mewithoutYou, and He Is Legend have done.

Do young people listen to music. My son is in a band and my daughters both are music fans. They got me to sample more popular music than I would have without their influence.

So, yeah, I think so.

I still love music but it's been decades since anything I like has been produced by a major record label. In Newark, we just lost our last venue for non-cover music but that was one way to find new music. I'm always ears-up for anything new and interesting and I still screw around on the guitar and keyboards but popular music is dead to me. My kids still listen to it.

Well seeing as though I'm spoiled rotten 18 year old in college who got pretty much anything I ever wanted when I wanted it due to some great parents, I consider myself "electronics rich" including building around 100 computers and owning several useless gaming systems that have become experts at collecting dust, but what I remember using more than any other electronic device was a Cassette Player Boombox I got around the age of 7 or 8 that was gifted along with a Jackal Cassette. I played that Cassette into it's afterlife, but I kept that boombox until 2009 in my bathroom to listen to the radio in the shower even with it's distorted water damaged speakers from a camping trip accident involving a cooler filled to the brim with ice, soda and beer. As I stayed before I have many electronics that collect dust but those that haven't were always my music devices. I was gifted an iPod shuffle 3 or 4 years back for Christmas and I used it 5+ times a week every week until it was eaten by the most useless tan animal every to walk the face of the earth. I also received a new generation iPod Nano this Christmas and it's rare it's not in my presence where ever I go, I have it cranked up on my 5 minute walk between classes every morning and afternoon, I have it hooked up in the car when I run an errand and if I'm in my room it's running 24/7 connected to our stereo in the room blaring in the afternoon and quieter in evening when we go to bed. I often leave my laptop or cell phone in my room accidentally more then my iPod, and that is quite the contrary for my father who has his "Crackberry: glued to his hand 24/7, and if he was able to duck tape a pocket pussy to his phone without seeming caddy or offensive I firmly believe he would and there for have no need to come home except for the urge to eat and scratch himself in the comfort of his own living room. Raised with Metallica and Iron Maiden naturally I've found myself attracted to rock and metal, but like others have said in earlier posts my generation has a wider variety of genres, bands and music to chose from so naturally my iPod is updated on a regular basis but it still is loaded with every Metallica and Iron Maiden album ever released, but even though we have more electronics produced in 1 year one presently then we had in 50 years of previous to know one thing has never change and that is my love for music. I apologize for the long diatribe, I got a little carried away, but I had too throw this out there. So to answer the question "Is music more important to the older generations?" it will of course vary from person to person, but as for myself I've never had anything that was more crucial on a day to day basis then some good old fashioned tunes. :D

WKOTI

Most certainly it is less important. Just look at sales across the board, be it real media or digital downloads. Look at concert attendence, look at all the clubs that have closed. The limited attention span of the current generations, the ease of availability and the over-driven hype machines for mediocre or worse artists have jaded the audience to a point where they have to constantly look for something new whether or not they understood or even cared about what they heard previously. You just don't see people collecting everything by an artist anymore because he really spoke what they were thinking or feeling. I have artists I've followed for decades because what they say means something to me. Not every song or every line but it's there.

I'm going to crank out a big, fat disaggree on that one there Ray. Band dedication does not equal dedication to music as an entity, nor the importance thereof. Music trancends whatever label we wish to haphazardly stick to it, be it a primal tribal chant energizing the soul to a sophisticated Baroque sonata entangling the listener's mind in it's fast paced complexity, and is equally important to the nine year old listening enraptured at a fireside in Africa as it is to the twenty four year old Australian sitting down and listening to Vivaldi in his study.

Typecasting, that is what we may be guilty of with this thread. Oh these kids and their iPods... no patience to sit down and really listen to the music. Even if that were the case, and I strongly beleive we are cutting my generation no slack whatsoever, does the sweet spot in your favourite song send chills down your back any less if you are listening to it on a bus with headphones in your ears than on a plush leather couch in front of an expensive hybrid amp? Absolutely not.

Music will always say what cannot be said with mere words, no matter the medium, and no matter the generation listening.

Well seeing as though I'm spoiled rotten 18 year old in college who got pretty much anything I ever wanted when I wanted it due to some great parents, I consider myself "electronics rich" including building around 100 computers and owning several useless gaming systems that have become experts at collecting dust, but what I remember using more than any other electronic device was a Cassette Player Boombox I got around the age of 7 or 8 that was gifted along with a Jackal Cassette. I played that Cassette into it's afterlife, but I kept that boombox until 2009 in my bathroom to listen to the radio in the shower even with it's distorted water damaged speakers from a camping trip accident involving a cooler filled to the brim with ice, soda and beer. As I stayed before I have many electronics that collect dust but those that haven't were always my music devices. I was gifted an iPod shuffle 3 or 4 years back for Christmas and I used it 5+ times a week every week until it was eaten by the most useless tan animal every to walk the face of the earth. I also received a new generation iPod Nano this Christmas and it's rare it's not in my presence where ever I go, I have it cranked up on my 5 minute walk between classes every morning and afternoon, I have it hooked up in the car when I run an errand and if I'm in my room it's running 24/7 connected to our stereo in the room blaring in the afternoon and quieter in evening when we go to bed. I often leave my laptop or cell phone in my room accidentally more then my iPod, and that is quite the contrary for my father who has his "Crackberry: glued to his hand 24/7, and if he was able to duck tape a pocket pussy to his phone without seeming caddy or offensive I firmly believe he would and there for have no need to come home except for the urge to eat and scratch himself in the comfort of his own living room. Raised with Metallica and Iron Maiden naturally I've found myself attracted to rock and metal, but like others have said in earlier posts my generation has a wider variety of genres, bands and music to chose from so naturally my iPod is updated on a regular basis but it still is loaded with every Metallica and Iron Maiden album ever released, but even though we have more electronics produced in 1 year one presently then we had in 50 years of previous to know one thing has never change and that is my love for music. I apologize for the long diatribe, I got a little carried away, but I had too throw this out there. So to answer the question "Is music more important to the older generations?" it will of course vary from person to person, but as for myself I've never had anything that was more crucial on a day to day basis then some good old fashioned tunes. :D

WKOTI

Do they teach paragraphs in college?

WKOTI

Do they teach paragraphs in college?

Wow. Why not just respond to what he wrote?

Real cool of you, big man.

-Mark

I'm going to crank out a big, fat disaggree on that one there Ray. Band dedication does not equal dedication to music as an entity, nor the importance thereof. Music trancends whatever label we wish to haphazardly stick to it, be it a primal tribal chant energizing the soul to a sophisticated Baroque sonata entangling the listener's mind in it's fast paced complexity, and is equally important to the nine year old listening enraptured at a fireside in Africa as it is to the twenty four year old Australian sitting down and listening to Vivaldi in his study.

Typecasting, that is what we may be guilty of with this thread. Oh these kids and their iPods... no patience to sit down and really listen to the music. Even if that were the case, and I strongly beleive we are cutting my generation no slack whatsoever, does the sweet spot in your favourite song send chills down your back any less if you are listening to it on a bus with headphones in your ears than on a plush leather couch in front of an expensive hybrid amp? Absolutely not.

Music will always say what cannot be said with mere words, no matter the medium, and no matter the generation listening.

I will defend the pre iPod generation. Many songs that are classics today were buried in the tracks of albums and received little radio airplay. In the iPod world, they may never have been heard or will never be heard. The big difference I see is that, for better or worse, when you bought an album, you received the whole artists catalogue for that work. Some on my favorites songs were "discovered" only after having listened to the album in total, sometimes because I was just too lazy to move the needle back to my favorite song again. The album experience produced a loyal following that I believe is different from current generations, and the current media has changed, in my opinion, this experience. Cleary form this thread, music is important to those who listen and posted. But a listener with only an iPod with never enter the nerd debate in the record store of naming what track from what album, and I even find myself picking and choosing tracks over whole albums because .99 for two songs I like seems like a better expenditure than $10 buck for nine unknowns songs.....And wish I had done this with Radiohead's Hail to the Thief.... .

And there is something to be said for reading liner notes and inspectiing album covers. I believe this is also a lost art of the iPod. Course, carrying a turntable on a bus ride did not work either.

Cparker

Nobody is going to be able to sing along with Pink's "So What" (#1 9/27/08) in 40 years but I'd bet I could sing along with most if not every #1 song of 1968, not that any of you would want to hear it
wink.gif

Grazing in the Grass?
laugh.gif
And, I'd mighty disapointed if you knew the words to Honey
sign.gif

Doc.

Grazing in the Grass - yeah I can dig it. Bobby Goldsboro is the shiznit!

I did say "most" ;)

Back on track. I have three children ages 24, 36 and 39. I can remember the first 45 I bought, the first Lp and where I was and what I was doing when I first heard the Dark Side of the Moon Lp. I stood in line to get a copy of Blind Faith's first album. I can remember the first time I heard Mississippi John Hurt and my love for Old Time music began. My children have no such memories. My oldest son listens to the music of his youth; my youngest to rap. My daughter has no interest at all. I worry about my sound stage,my components are all separate and hand made in the US. I maintain an audiophile quality turntable, think Lp's are better than CD's and covet a tube amp. So yea, music is certainly more important to me.
BTW the first 45 was Johnny Cash's I Walk the Line. First Lp was The Platters', Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and I ain't tellin' about the Dark Side of the Moon.

Doc.

Back on track. I have three children ages 24, 36 and 39. I can remember the first 45 I bought, the first Lp and where I was and what I was doing when I first heard the Dark Side of the Moon Lp. I stood in line to get a copy of Blind Faith's first album. I can remember the first time I heard Mississippi John Hurt and my love for Old Time music began. My children have no such memories. My oldest son listens to the music of his youth; my youngest to rap. My daughter has no interest at all. I worry about my sound stage,my components are all separate and hand made in the US. I maintain an audiophile quality turntable, think Lp's are better than CD's and covet a tube amp. So yea, music is certainly more important to me.
BTW the first 45 was Johnny Cash's I Walk the Line. First Lp was The Platters', Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and I ain't tellin' about the Dark Side of the Moon.

Doc.
mm

Okay, I can remember the first CD I ever bought. I can remember the first time I listened to Coltrane. I can remember meticulously researching audio equipment to find my perfect setup. I can remember falling in love with LPs. Jaco Pastorius died at a young age, that's a damn shame. Am I a "jive motherfucker?" Maybe.

I listen to Johnny Cash (Pink Floyd, Cream, Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Doors, The Dead, et cetera) on a regular basis.

I guess that I just don't get it. I love music. It fills my day. I can't imagine my life without music. Now, I have people tell me that music isn't important to my generation and I don't think it is necessarily true.

We have access. Sure, is not the same. Maybe it is not that different. Let's not take our personal experiences (not directed at you, Doc) and try to apply them to an entire generation.

-Mark

Funny, none of the Artists you mention could be considered of your generation. I'm not sure what that means, but it must mean something.

Doc.

Funny, none of the Artists you mention could be considered of your generation. I'm not sure what that means, but it must mean something.

Doc.

I listen up and down the musical spectrum. I find musical virtue across generations. Some of these acts don't neatly fit into my generation but they aren't of the same ilk as the acts I mentioned before. Good music is being made out there. New music festivals are popping up and the kids are going.

(Spoon, White Rabbits, White Stripes, The Dead Weather, The XX, Wilco, M.I.A, Brother Ali, Sigur Ros, Sufjan Stevens, Andrew Bird, Animal Collective, Andre Nickitina, Belle and Sebastian, Outkast, Beirut, The Very Best, Of Montreal, Joanna Newson, Real Estate, Panda Bear, Rufus Wainwright, The Mountain Goats, Girls, Real Estate, Devendra Banhart, Gorillaz, The Decemberists, Lil Wayne, M. Ward, Monsters of Folk, John Spencer Blues Explosion)

-Mark

Back