• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Job go Bye-Bye

FunkyCold5

Whaddup!!!!!
Well, sad to say, two weeks ago to this day (Jan 16th) my department is closing and everyone has no job as of May 31st.

Corporate says it's a Re-Org to consolidate the departments to North Carolina and West Virginia. So, all Kentucky, Maryland, and Virginia accounts will move to Charleston, WV and South Carolina accounts will move into North Carolina. Significantly less cost of living, therefore will be able to manage accounts for less and save the bank tons of moola.

One good thing is that I'm being offered a position in Charleston, WV.
- Promotion two grades up.
- More pay
- Stock Options

So..........decisions decisions.

Anyone here from WV that can nudge me to accept the position?

Andrew

PS - there is a great cigar shop downtown and whenever WVU wins a bowl game, they give 25% off everything.....WHICH is huge because their prices are practially retail (except for Anejos).

http://www.thesquirewv.com/

Sounds like congratulations are in order! You just have to get that WVA accent down and you'll fit right in. :D

That's bad news bro. I'm guessing this will be a family decision.

Is it me or does that place have a box of 858 maddies for $45.

If I accept the job. LOL. It's a big move. All my family, friends, and GF are here. Definitely a HUGE decision in my life. It would be a great experience, but also a culture shock moving from DC to Charleston. Totally different dynamics down there. People are nice, took a trip down there for a few days last week (actually came back when we did the DC Herf).

The biggest thing is, I joined CP because of the people I met at the Baltimore Herf.....now I have to move if I accept this job, after meeting and creating new friends. Sucks!

Andrew

Sounds like congratulations are in order! You just have to get that WVA accent down and you'll fit right in. :D

first off congrats! My suggestion is your young use this opportunity to grow and plan your future...tough it out for a year, the title promotion can land you an even better job back home if your patient enough. Use this as a stepping stone...plus if not to far you can always go home to visit once in a while.

If I accept the job. LOL. It's a big move. All my family, friends, and GF are here. Definitely a HUGE decision in my life. It would be a great experience, but also a culture shock moving from DC to Charleston. Totally different dynamics down there. People are nice, took a trip down there for a few days last week (actually came back when we did the DC Herf).

The biggest thing is, I joined CP because of the people I met at the Baltimore Herf.....now I have to move if I accept this job, after meeting and creating new friends. Sucks!

Andrew

Well, you could always herf with Hawk.

If you get divorced in WVA are you still related?????....sorry could not resist. :sign:

You will not be that far from your family bro. I work for the county of Leesburg. A lot of people here live in the Charleston area and commute about 45 minutes to here (which is very close to you now).

It's not like you would be on the other side of the country. Is there a problem with you moving to Beryville, or Purceville Va? Half hour drive to where you would work, and even closer to your family.

My wife and I are considering the counties above, or WV...........We don't want to pay like 450k for a two or three bedroom townhouse to live in Leesburg.

Just to clarify. It's Charleston, WV (capital of WV) and not Charlestown, WV. I'll be 6 hours from home and 5 hours from where Hawk is LOL! So, unless I pay $300 to fly to DC, my only option is to drive, and normally 3-4 hours is my limit for weekend trips.

So, not really close to home. I'm definitely taking into consideration the promotion and then later on moving back into the city with a higher position, but that's at least minimum 1 year to sacrifice.

I've always wondered what Virginia and WV people look like? Do all the men have no hair? :laugh:

Hey funky...home is where your family is. My philosophy is..If moving puts more bucks in your pocket and improves your families life, it's a no brainer, you move.

Good luck.

Brian

First off, contrats on the promotion.
Moving sucks, but the Charleston area is nice and the cost of living is MUCH cheaper than Fairfax.

Sounds like a great opportunity, especially if some other business isn't knocking on your door right now offering better. Moving sucks, but this could set you up for bigger and better things in a few years.

Lose a few teeth and shack up with your sister, and you'll be moving up the promotion ladder in no time!! :sign:

That's bad news bro. I'm guessing this will be a family decision.

Is it me or does that place have a box of 858 maddies for $45.

And Maduro King B's...

If I'm reading the thread right, you're not married, and have no kids? Sounds liek you have a great opportunity knocking at your door. I understand it will be tough leaving your family, friends, and GF, but being single and moving doesn't get much easier.

Best of luck, no matter what you decide.

Congrats! Jump at it. I have a Real Estate Agent in the area & can help get you financing for a new Home if your bank can't do employee loans. Opportunity comes in many guises, it's up to you. And then again sometimes life is just a crapshoot! :laugh:

Take the move. You'll be closer to Pennsylvania which is a good thing.

gratz on the offer bro. Tough decision, but just know you do the right thing for the family!!! :)

Anderw, my unselfish opinion is to take the job, and the promotion and the pay raise and the drasticly lowered cost of living. It will benefit your future in many ways: money saved, experience in job/marketability, money in bank, (assuming that your company pays for the moving) free move. Heck you could possibly rent out your condo, or sell it and have a nice down payment for your double wide trailer/WVa SFH. You know what I'm giving up by saying take the move, and i'm still saying it.

I was born and raised in Beckley WV, which is just about 45 minutes south east of Charleston. Take the job. The cost of living there is very reasonable. West Virginians are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet once they get to know you a little bit.

Just don't stare at the people who have one leg longer than the other. They are mountain folk. They won't bother you unless they sense fear. :thumbs:

Best of luck on your move. Any other decision wouldn't be logical. As has been said before, lower cost of living, higher pay, and after a while better marketability later on. No down side, your family will understand. :thumbs: