• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Legal/ illegal Moonshine

I'm sorry but where I live it is not illegal for me to make artisanal alcohol  ;)

We have a fairly new distillery in Little Rock.  Here is one of their offerings.

http://arkansaslightning.com/products/arkansas-lightning/

I took the tour at Maker Mark several years ago.  At the end they let you try a little sample of the "white lightning".  It was pretty nasty and not something I would want to drink for fun.  Maybe I'll buy a bottle of the local stuff to see if it's the same thing.

Edit: grammar

The crap they sell in stores is not "moonshine" as AVB said.  Also, if you do plan on distilling the stuff, be very careful aside from the legality there is a lot of risk, (alcohol vapor is  very flammable, The head and tails can be poisonous, and also produce a really bad taste.)  Not that I know from experience.....

robbiex0r said:
Honestly, I am uncomfortable with felony-level activity being discussed on this forum.
I haven't looked into it for about 5 years or so, but when I did it was legal in most states to distill your own liquor for personal consumption.
It may have changed, but I doubt it.

It is most certainly not legal to distill alcohol, even for personal consumption.  Beer and Wine are allowed, distilled spirits or even owning an apparatus to distill alcohol is a federal offense.

http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml

Edited for linky....

Ok so i hit the liquer store and they had a large selection of both brands (Ole Smokey and Midnight Moon) I went with the classic White Lightning Ole Smokey and The Strawberry for the Midnight Moon!

gallery_13257_1558_620494.jpg

Both are 100 proof and 50% ABV Id say that's pretty strong stuff! I know its not the real thing strait out a still but even in the show they knock it down to 100-120 proof so its actually drinkable. 
I will be sure to return with some feed back once I try them both.

Thanks Louich!
Paul

DePasta said:
It is most certainly not legal to distill alcohol, even for personal consumption.  Beer and Wine are allowed, distilled spirits or even owning an apparatus to distill alcohol is a federal offense.

Edited for linky....
Wow. Here in Qc there are some rules to follow but it's feasable to brew your own artisanal stuff.

Pleasure Paul (I talked trash and lost someone has to pay lol)

Awesome Paul ! I stopped in tonight as well. They had all the flavors for the Midnight Moon including the Original, so going against my best judgement, I went with Blueberry. They appeared to be stocked up so I will be trying them all, over the next few weeks.
I will be busting open the jar after I get home from our Fri. night 'Gold Rush' cigar. I will let you guys know what I think.
Cheers !

gallery_13416_1483_9471.jpg

My test dummy Simon had to go home early so we will be cracking them open tomorrow!

louich said:

Edited for linky....
Wow. Here in Qc there are some rules to follow but it's feasable to brew your own artisanal stuff.

Pleasure Paul (I talked trash and lost someone has to pay lol)

There's a huge difference between brewing and distilling. Before you take on the latter, you may want to double check.

Dam you guys, now I have to go to the store and get some of this. I did just fine not buying it when I saw it until you started talking about it here.

So I got home and cracked open the jar. Took a big swig. Surprisingly smoother than I thought! The flavor was subtle and the kick really wasn't there. I remember the Apple Pie being much sweeter. I gave it to my girlfriend to try, and she didn't think it was all that bad. I am very pleased with this particular flavor. If you like Blueberry, Id say give it a try!

I also took a spoonful and poured it into a shot glass and took a lighter to it....it flamed up pretty good for a few seconds before I blew it out. Im happy with the purchase and am looking forward to trying the others out there.

NICE!  :thumbs:

Now I can't wait for tomorrows taste test!

My understanding was the stuff you buy in the store is legal because it has to be 100 proof or less...and anything over that was not legal for purchase/ consumption.

Here, we have Shine on Georgia Moon...only 80 proof though.

BigJake6904 said:
My understanding was the stuff you buy in the store is legal because it has to be 100 proof or less...and anything over that was not legal for purchase/ consumption.

What about Everclear?

Smokin'Sims said:

What about Everclear?
Everclear is legal in NH, but you can't buy it here. The State stores won't sell it because so many young folks were dying of alcohol poisoning. It's illegal in VT.

Doc

BigJake6904 said:

Palmetto Moonshine makes a 105 proof White Lightning that's available in stores. http://palmettomoonshine.com/home.php

If you want some good stuff, I could always bring a little Ethyl Alcohol home from work...... :laugh:

Perfect timing Jonesy.  I was just getting ready to head to the Liquor store.  I'll have to grab a few of these and test it out. 

Jonesy said:

Palmetto Moonshine makes a 105 proof White Lightning that's available in stores. http://palmettomoonshine.com/home.php

If you want some good stuff, I could always bring a little Ethyl Alcohol home from work...... :laugh:

Thanks Jonesy for the link. That website/distillery looks interesting.
I can find myself having the need to start a collection of different mason jars on the shelf. I will be sure to add some of the Palmetto.

Jonesy said:

Don't they make you add gasoline to that stuff to make it "legal?"

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one addicted to Moonshiners. Hopefully I can score some at the upcoming 'Shine Festival.