• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Level of Bile?

I have to say that if a member doesn't have his name in his profile and doesn't use it to sign off his posts it is pretty bad form to purposely use it just to be spiteful. Comes across as childish among other things.

AVB said:
I have to say that if a member doesn't have his name in his profile and doesn't use it to sign off his posts it is pretty bad form to purposely use it just to be spiteful. Comes across as childish among other things.
[snapback]160501[/snapback]​

Point well taken AVB. He had it in his profile for quite a while so I''m sorta at a loss as to what the problem is now. I asked him what the concern would be and he gave one but I'd be willing to bet there's more than one person with his name in the greater metro DC area so I really don't think his "privacy" was compromised. I suppose though that if I had made the posts he has recently, I'd be embarrassed too. So if he doesn't want his employer finding out, he oughta think before he posts. ;)

If a bunch of guys meet for cigars and chatting in a public place, should we avoid using real first names in order to protect "privacy"? Maybe we should, don't want stalkers or anything........... :rolleyes:

What cracks me up is oak singles me out with a bunch of BS, I ask him to back it up which he could not do, then he PM's me asking me to edit my post to remove his name. I was not inclined to oblige him based on his treatment of me, gee go figure?

Yep, I did it on purpose but what goes around comes around ;)

A post to or about a member that is damaging but true = truth.

A post to or about a member that is damaging and not true = flame

Calling a member names to be hurtful = flame

Callinga a member names in fun = bustin' chops

Having a spirited discussion over a difference of opinion is NOT flaming, it is arguing. Big difference. BIG difference.
What the hell makes anybody think that if they take an unpopular position on a given subject they should be bullet proof and nobody should be allowed to voice opposition?

"Be nice no matter how stupid or misinformed the people around you are."

Screw that. Buy a helmet.

NA

coventrycat86 said:
He had it in his profile for quite a while so I''m sorta at a loss as to what the problem is now.
My name has never been in my profile. You learned it from the newbie trade we did.

Again, I keep my name private as a matter of course, and the examples I gave were just that: examples to answer your question. I couldn't care less if my co-workers saw my posts, as all they'd do is give me some crap that I actually allow myself to get caught up with a virtual bully or that I was trying to play one myself.

Again: I think the overall level of bile has risen in this board, and we should consider matching our responses to the crime. Is it your opinion that everything is fine, and the level of aggression is just par for the course? Do you actually have an opinion that isn't a parry or thrust, or are we going to stay in high school debate team mode?

- Oak

My name has never been in my profile.

Coulda sworn it was but if you say so. I honestly don't remember doing a trade with you or how I even know your name which is kinda amazing since I can't seem to remember much of anything nowadays. Your birthday used to be in your profile (out of respect for your privacy, I won't post here what month it is, 'kay?) but you took it out. Did you take your name out at the same time you took your birthday out? I'm not trying to start a fight here, just asking a question.

Is it your opinion that everything is fine

Yes

and the level of aggression is just par for the course?

What "level of aggression" ???

Do you actually have an opinion that isn't a parry or thrust

I have lots of opinions but you seem to intepret opinions that you disagree with as "parry(s) and thrust(s)"

or are we going to stay in high school debate team mode?

Grow up

I knew your name too by the way....

So don't go trying to act like it's a secret and all....... :laugh:

Leebo8-9-8 said:
I knew your name too by the way....

So don't go trying to act like it's a secret and all....... :laugh:
[snapback]160538[/snapback]​
Just to be clear - I didn't care who knew it on the board (lot's of people know my full name, phone #, and address - which is fine) - I just didn't want it posted in threads. From a privacy/security perspective, it is the permanent searchable record that is desirable to avoid.

I figured you'd know my name - your ladies have to scream something that keeps them going, eh...? :sign:

C'mon - that wasn't a bad one, eh? :p

Hell - Joe M. knows where almost all of us live... *shiver* :0

:D

Cheers,

- Oak

oak said:
Leebo and Cohibasurfer: (Yeah - you two get lumped together) Don't you ever tire of the Socratic espousing of the obvious? If people here can't figure out the pass rip-offs, the mooch attempts, the other classless BS - then do you really think you'll educate them magically? Aside from PB always being wrong about who he supports, you remind me of him in terms of the gut-wrenching defending of the weak and foolish. Hypothetical points I guess - because that isn't the point. Keep it up, wrong or right. Thankless jobs, but better you than I.

[snapback]160323[/snapback]​

Frankly Ehhhh...uhhhh OAK.
The Answer is a great big yes to the first question. Awfully tired of it. But since you asked. I'll tell you some other things I'm even more tired of. People thinking it will go away if nobody says anything. Or better yet, not saying anything because it doesn't concern them. Tired of people thinking that it's ok to let this board become divided into an Elitist / Newbie board. Tired of people getting angry because certain B's OTL still do take the time to help the board on issues others take for granted. Tired of people coming on board and thinking they can get somewhere by taking shots at me and others like me just to become the king of the block or what ever title they have dreamed up for themselves. Tired of people trying to piss on me for speaking my mind.
And to answer your second question. No... that's why I still "try" and help to keep this the board that was shown to me by those that helped me. But with the great new influx and population, the task has become overbearing to say the least.

I have a Question for you now? Care to help a little, or would you rather complain on how a few of us do it?

cohibasurfer said:
I have a Question for you now? Care to help a little, or would you rather complain on how a few of us do it?
[snapback]160540[/snapback]​
That is a fair question. Yes - I will start jumping in.

Mephiston said:
Oak, If it is such a lousy, sucky place why are you still here? Just go away.
I have been on quite a few boards, and this place is calm and easy to deal with compared to many.
If you are always haveing problems with all these people maybe you need to look at the source....oh thats right YOU...go away, bye.
I dont see how you possibly get along in the real world if you cannot except peoples faults and move on.
[snapback]160459[/snapback]​

Who the **** are you, you dumb ****ing piece of ****?*

*One of my faults is Tourette's syndrome... please accept it and move on :)

oak said:
coventrycat86 said:
I would also ask that you respect my PM on the use of my real name.

Okay I would ask that you stop posting lies and falsehoods about me
I thought I set that straight in my last post when I said I was wrong and you were right on that. If not, I'll try this: I overstated your involvement in several events completely in my first post. My apologies.

coventrycat86 said:
I still think you are approaching most of your interactions on this board with a very aggressive and defensive attitude.

Kinda NOT like you, huh??
I agree with this point. I am definitely the pot calling the kettle black right now and as Sam said, I am "flaming the flamers". I don't do this often (first time in well over a year, I think), and I did it to try and make a point.

coventrycat86 said:
Posting real names, addresses, IP addresses, etc - is potentially harmful to some of us.

Gimme a break, if it's "harmful" to you then don't post on public BB's Ed.

Just wondering, how is it "harmful"?
It is potentially harmful (I'm not saying it is some super-high-risk activity or anything) in a variety of ways, including:

1) People with jobs that do regular background checks don't want their online life becoming part of the context for the investigation.

2) People might not want their opinions associated with their employers.

3) People who want to avoid cyber-stalkers and identity-theft folks. This is potentially dangerous to that person, or possibly to their family/kids. If I seem paranoid, let me be clear that I don't think you can be too cautious with things that could affect your family.

4) An overall concern about privacy is another reason. This is just a good practice/habit to have.

One piece of information on one board can be used as a link to other scattered bits of information, and it is not terribly difficult to put together a pretty full profile on someone as a result. High-risk? No. Un-necessary risk? IMO, yes.

The only reason you know my real name is because I did a newbie trade with you. Posting my name isn't a huge deal or anything, it is really just a privacy practice I do as a matter of course. I don't think that I should have to stop using Internet BB's completely because I have this expectation of privacy, and I don't think it is an unrealistic expectation that the people I trade with on this board would keep my name private. I poked you first though, so I'll take what I get.

I'm done with this thread. I didn't do a good job, and my point wasn't made and isn't going to get made with more bickering. Sorry I offended you in the process. I do think you add a ton of value here, but I think you'd add more if you'd take a less caustic attitude or show more restraint and/or tact (note I didn't say "stop").

Lastly: to Mephiston - I didn't and don't have any problems with anyone in my post. As far as I know, they've never had a bad word to say about me before this thread. I don't think the board is sucky or lousy, but I think it could be better. I think trying to make things better is part of our responsibility as members of the board.

Cheers,

- Edward
[snapback]160482[/snapback]​

Since you signed your name, are we free to use it in the future?! :whistling:

Just curious, since it has been raised as an issue.

Floyd T. :sign:

PS: If you're ashamed of something you post(generalized YOU), don't post it. Take ownership and suck it up!

"You fight the fights that need fighting."

I think Leebo, Cohibasurfer, CC, and a few others that have a vested interest in this place follow that quote. I for one am grateful for members like that. It has also made me stand up and call BS when I see it. This is our playground kids. No parents are here. If we want this to be a fun playground, then we need to take out the trash occasionally. No one is going to come in here and do it for us.

So either be someone who helps take out the trash, or get out of the way.

ricmac25 said:
So either be someone who helps take out the trash, or get out of the way.
[snapback]160597[/snapback]​

I believe that brief line pretty much summarizes the importance of self-moderation to a "T" :)

Mephiston said:
Oak, If it is such a lousy, sucky place why are you still here? Just go away.
I have been on quite a few boards, and this place is calm and easy to deal with compared to many.
If you are always haveing problems with all these people maybe you need to look at the source....oh thats right YOU...go away, bye.
I dont see how you possibly get along in the real world if you cannot except peoples faults and move on.
[snapback]160459[/snapback]​

Sorry, but this is the only post that I have any issue with in this whole thread. Memphis, regardless of Oaks position or opinions, he is entitled to them. I didn't see any post made by the "accused" telling him to leave. Leebo/Cohibasurfer, CC, Sam......all expressed themselves w/out telling someone to leave. You're new here as well as am I. STFU, sit back and learn instead of jumping into sh*t where you're not needed. Learn from the members who have actually earned their places here. That post reminded me of that little dog that always follows the bigger dog around, agreeing w/ everything the bigger dog says.....

I'm sorry, maybe I missed this...

Was I accused of something?

If I was I am miffed and certainly didn't do whatever it was.

NA

That explains it. I got to the part where he started whining and scrolled down. That's probably a good thing since had I read the rest I would have been compelled to be mean to him. I mean a moron doesn't know he's a moron because if he did he wouldn't be one so I'm glad I didn't do that.

NA