• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lung Cancer

FlyFish

Reaction score
Well, we were wondering why Ben hadn't been to work in a few weeks. Found out today he is in some hospital in critical condition with some stage of lung cancer and the next time we see him might be at his funeral.

It's gonna be real hard to light one up for a while after hearing this. I know a cigar isn't a cigarette but tobacco is tobacco and when the big "C" hits this close I look at that office humidor and ask just who the hell do I think I am kidding playing around with this stuff?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I got a wife and two young kids, kind of makes me want to post a thread saying "collection for sale"

Not a good day folks................

I've already faced Cancer at the young age of 32. One thing I learned from that experience. You can get cancer from anything you do. Just living period will get you cancer so why not live it up and make the best of it before it happens. It shouldnt be how long you live, but the quality of life you lived. But what do I know.

Always sucks to have someone you know that is on the death bed, but that shouldnt scare you.

You just never know with cancer, some get lucky, like George Burns who smoked cigars till he was 90 something, and others...

My Dad smoked cigarettes for most his adult life. He died last year at 84 with advanced lung cancer.

He was a tough man... he complained of shortness of breath (more so than normal) the last month of his life. I took him to the heart doc first (he had heart problems for years) and it was the same old story, take your meds, use the oxygen (which he didn't)... a week later he complained of back pain so we took him to the hospital where they found lung cancer that spread througout his chest.

5 days later he died in a hospice.

I am glad that he didn't suffer for months and months like some...

Me personally, I still have 2-3 cigars a week, but I never inhaled... not sure if that makes lung cancer less probable... but there is still mouth cancer, the heart problems it causes...

I figure if the 20 some years I smoked 3 packs of cigs a day didn't kill me, a few cigars a week is an acceptable risk.

Good points by both of you but I am a bt more than a 2-3 a week smoker. Maybe this will be the smack accross the head that makes me cut back.

Good points by both of you but I am a bt more than a 2-3 a week smoker. Maybe this will be the smack accross the head that makes me cut back.

I smoke once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks. I have seen many people die of cancer in my family but none of lung cancer. I have been thinking about this topic recently as well, I equate my occasional smoke to eating something that is really really unhealthy for you, every once in a while should be ok. I think that is just how I justify it though. Who knows.

I agree with everyone overall everything in moderation, only the man upstairs knows when it's time to pull your card. As for your co worker my prayers are with him and his family.

Edit- Punctuation

I'm here for a good time, not a long time.

Doc.

I'm with you Doc and I'm a cancer survivor (prostate, the Doctor says it is a good one to have, obviously he does'nt have it!) as well. When your time is up your time is up. Sorry to hear about your coworker, I hope all turns out well for him.

It shouldnt be how long you live, but the quality of life you lived

Great point :thumbs:.

I had a friend who's father recently passed away due to lung cancer. It is terrible and I don't know how I would feel about cigars if someone I loved had it. I hope your friend/co-worker makes it through, my prayers are with him.

What is there to say that hasn't been said. Cancer sucks. My first wife, never smoked a day in her life, died at 46 with cancer. My daughter in law, married to my son, died the day she graduated medical school at the age of 26. She never smoked. I have had too many young men die in my arms by bullet wounds and such and I think I learned something from them. It ain't the years that you lived that count, but its what you done in the years you used up that counts. I wish I had something smart to say that will make your friend better or to you to manage your shock and pain, but I don't. The only thing I can say is, TO LIFE!! Let us enjoy what we have as long as we can. ..... sorry for preaching.... an occupational hazard.... :cool: