• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mold Question

the mayor

With work being out of control lately, I haven't even had time to enjoy a cigar, let alone devote the necessary time for proper care. Finally last night I decide to do an inspection to see if I have any significant issues. Humidor checks out ok, move onto the cooler. Most of them are spot on, until I get to a box of Anejo 50's. First glance, everything OK, upon closer inspection 4 sticks have started grow mold. GRRRRRRRRRREAT. So they've been wiped and quarintined, death sentence this weekend.

NOW, the Question. Should I remove the remaining, un-molded sticks from the box? Am I running the risk of mold spores remaining? Everything was confined to the sticks, mostly underneath cedar, didn't notice any growths in the box or on the outside of the cello. The surrounding sticks appeared to be in fine shape.

Thanks in advance.

I had this same problem with some Anejo #49. White mold with mine, so I just wiped them down and they are doing fine. I wouldn't be in a rush to smoke those Anejo. You might consider removing the cedar sleeves from the rest of them. My guess is you'll be fine. :thumbs:

But hey, if you really want to kill those Anejo in style, My address is in my profile and I can give them a beautiful send off :cool:

:0 The first thing I would suggest is getting my address and sending the whole box to me for taste testing and so that you do not run the risk of sickness. :) No seriously......
:cool: :p :cool: :) :D :blush: :p

Ok, it depends on how bad it is but I would quarantine the whole lot of them. Sorry to say it but get the smokes out of the box, take the box out and never put it back. Just to be sure. If it is not bad inspect and gently wipe down each cigar with a soft towel. Set them out for 24 hours. Then begin to rehumidify them in a controled area. Keep an eye on them and if it never comes back I have in the past put some back into general population after a month or so before. I hope I have the routine right. It has been a while. There is also a freezer method I have heard but I never used that.
Also search here for mold. There have been many posts on this subject.
Good luck.
DarrenR

I wonder if it something in the Anejos that make them susceptable to mold. I just got a box of 77's and had the same problem on about half of the sticks. The mold was white and easily wiped off. I wonder if there's anything related to the wrapper being put in the cognac barrels for a few months.

I wonder if it something in the Anejos that make them susceptable to mold. I just got a box of 77's and had the same problem on about half of the sticks. The mold was white and easily wiped off. I wonder if there's anything related to the wrapper being put in the cognac barrels for a few months.

It's 'bloom/plume'!

"A naturally occurring phenomenon in the cigar aging process, also called plume, caused by the oils that exude from the tobacco. It appears as a fine white powder and can be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, which is bluish and stains the wrapper.</B> "

.....Do you have pictures?

It's 'bloom/plume'!
"A naturally occurring phenomenon in the cigar aging process, also called plume, caused by the oils that exude from the tobacco. It appears as a fine white powder and can be brushed off. Not to be confused with mold, which is bluish and stains the wrapper.</B> "
.....Do you have pictures?

Roy Rogers to the rescue, give the man some pictures! :laugh:

Good point Gary, he may be wiping off some damn good taste ???

Brian

It would make sense to me that the anejos would result in some plume since the wrapper's pretty oily. I have a couple of pics at home (currently slacking at work as we speak ;) ). The thing that makes me think it is mold is the fact that a few of the sticks had some of the white splotches on the foot, not on the wrapper. That was obviously a lot tougher to remove since it's not on the smooth wrapper. On the ones that had it, many of them had it under the band. Would plume occur on the foot? I'll try to post the pics tonight. I guess i need to post them to a website first? I'm pretty computer-dumb so I'll check it out this afternoon.

??? I have one question. What is the deal with the newbie rocking a box of 77's. I have never even seen a wholw box. :p

thanks for the advice guys. I'm in no rush to smoke these, but they've already got over a year on em, so I think its time to see where they're at.

acharpe, you're definitely working with mold, your description sounds like what i've got going on.

bloom will not be so easily wiped off and will appear pretty evenly, not in larger white blotches.

Here is a photo comparison....linky!

I found it by doing a searhy!

Still...I'd like to see pic's.

I see how it is...give the newbie a hard time. :D I tried the vacuum and now I have to figure out how to get the cigar out of the vacuum bag. :laugh: ;)

I did my searchy and found that linky to plume vs mold. It definitely helped a lot. :thumbs:

This should be a link to two of the pics, one on the wrapper and one on the foot.

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00621.jpg

Thanks for all of the help! I promise I know how to talk about more than moldy/plumy sharks. :laugh:

Here are a few shots of an active mold colony on some NC ERdM Cafe Au Lait that I received from JR cigars a few weeks ago. If you see anything like this (isolated circular patches, fuzzy or fluffy appearance) then it's mold. Bloom is very hard to photograph. It's easy to see though if you do the sparkle test.

ERdMCafeAuLaitMold1.jpg

ERdMCafeAuLaitMold2.jpg

Wilkey

Man I love your camera Wilkey!

So what did JR say? Did they take them back?

"...(isolated circular patches, fuzzy or fluffy appearance)..."

I just had to quote this line!!!

Reminds me of....nevermind.... :laugh:

Nice pic's Wilkey! :thumbs:

Maybe AVB has some photo's of these Fuzzy/Fluffy ICP's, too?