• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

MOLDLY CIGARS

cgarlvr

"You know the one..Dr. Everythingsgoingtobeallrigh
I have found mold..or what I think is mold on many of my ISOM's. I will get pics out in the next day, but I want to start discussions on this subject. If it is mold, what should I do (besides run my humidor drier, and store the cigars separately) to eliminate it? Can I just wipe them clean and smoke them?

Describe your current set up - humidor/ coolidor? beads? foam ? distilled water and PG? analog or digital hygrometer? is the hygrometer salt tested recently?

I have a 300 stick humidor using both beads and cigar shaped humidification sticks. I use only distilled water and my digital hygrometer was salt tested (+- 2) about 7 mos ago. I know pictures speak thousands of words so once my gf gets off work, I will borrow her digital camera and take some pics all to review. I keep it close to 70% at 74 degrees (I live in Fl).

in reference to the cigars if the mold is just on thw wrapper then you can just wipe it off and smoke them fine. :thumbs: I would definately seperate them for now and try to get the humidity in the 65% range and keep it there. I know that doesnt answer all your questions, but we will be able to see better with pictures what you have got. But if it is just surface mold then you are fine. Just wipe it off and smoke those babies.

Brandon

Probably just "bloom" not mold. Bloom is white and whips off, mold is usually green and probably wont smoke too well.

Thanks for the input..I have separated them and still awaiting the camera to show you all what I perceive to be mold.

cgarlvr said:
I have a 300 stick humidor using both beads and cigar shaped humidification sticks. I use only distilled water and my digital hygrometer was salt tested (+- 2) about 7 mos ago. I know pictures speak thousands of words so once my gf gets off work, I will borrow her digital camera and take some pics all to review. I keep it close to 70% at 74 degrees (I live in Fl).
[snapback]297710[/snapback]​

Why are you using both...... The beads should work fine by themselves.... I don't think this is big enough to warrant the use of both humidification devices

If it wipes off........ smoke em

Thanks cloud for the reply. I am using both sticks and beads beacause I believe viper was being conservative the day he quoted me the number of bead tubes I will require. I purchased the 70% bead tubes, 3 total, large size and I think I need one more to keep the humidity at 70%. Obviously now I have to decrease the humidity so I will pull the support sticks and use solely the beads..keeping the humidity at 66-68 percent. In the end, Viper was right! I am having trouble getting pics up here..it says i have to create a URL and I have the pics saved on my desktop..any ideas how to move them over..without using URLS?

I always just use a picture hosting site. They are free and very simple to use. I think I have been using imageshack.us. Just upload the picture from your computer to the site and then they will give you a link. Then post the link in the thread. They walk you through it pretty well, but pm me if you have any questions. Hope this helps.

Brandon

Your settings are way off especially since you live in Florida. You need to drop your humidity to 58-62 percent and your temp needs to get down below 70 degrees.

I also live in Florida and my settings are as follows. 58-62 percent humidity and 64-67 degrees temperature. Mold will definitely be a problem for you at your current settings.

The Master said:
Your settings are way off especially since you live in Florida. You need to drop your humidity to 58-62 percent and your temp needs to get down below 70 degrees.

I also live in Florida and my settings are as follows. 58-62 percent humidity and 64-67 degrees temperature. Mold will definitely be a problem for you at your current settings.
[snapback]298328[/snapback]​

That what I was thinking.
Because if there are any spikes in the humidity, you dont want your humidor jumping over 70%. My 2c's.

My man Wilkey came to the rescue..I have sent him 3 pics..he will display whatever he can. Thanks for the input thus far..it's hard to fathom dropping my humidor BELOW 60 percent..but I will consider it seeing that mold is my enemy..I always thought humidity that low would destroy a cigar.

centurycigar said:
The Master said:

I also live in Florida and my settings are as follows.  58-62 percent humidity and 64-67 degrees temperature. Mold will definitely be a problem for you at your current settings.
[snapback]298328[/snapback]​

That what I was thinking.
Because if there are any spikes in the humidity, you dont want your humidor jumping over 70%. My 2c's.
[snapback]298392[/snapback]​

I don't see how upward spikes in humidity could normally occur. If you open the box, humidity drops. If you put in new sticks, the humidity drops. Over the long term, humidity drops. Temperature may spike upwards, but humidity? Uncommon.

Wilkey

I was thinking weather wise. Like if it rains or something?
Am I wrong? ;) Im here to learn. :D

Century,

Right on. What was I thinking. Rain can certainly increase the ambient humidity but the humidor is supposed to buffer humidity swings in either direction, inside to outside or the other way. But I can see your point.

I just got the pics but have to head to school so I'll post this evening.

The pics are pretty fuzzy but it sure looks like mold. And a baaaad case too. Sorry cgarlvr.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Century,

Right on. What was I thinking. Rain can certainly increase the ambient humidity but the humidor is supposed to buffer humidity swings in either direction, inside to outside or the other way. But I can see your point.

I just got the pics but have to head to school so I'll post this evening.

The pics are pretty fuzzy but it sure looks like mold. And a baaaad case too. Sorry cgarlvr.

Wilkey
[snapback]298416[/snapback]​

damn!

I told you not to store cigars in the refrigerator produce drawer.

Stubborn doctors.

I've been storing my cigars at the levels I mentioned for over 5 years. Anyone who has been to my house and smoked out of my cabinet can attest to the fact that my cigars are not too dry and are still supple. Trust me, your cigars will be fine when you lower your levels to my suggestion.

bmd34202 said:
I told you not to store cigars in the refrigerator produce drawer.

Stubborn doctors.
[snapback]298496[/snapback]​

in the words of don knotts ...'double damn'!

The Master said:
I've been storing my cigars at the levels I mentioned for over 5 years. Anyone who has been to my house and smoked out of my cabinet can attest to the fact that my cigars are not too dry and are still supple. Trust me, your cigars will be fine when you lower your levels to my suggestion.
[snapback]298530[/snapback]​

sold!