• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Bands - Old, New, Newest

Cigar Smoke:

Another thing too think about - your "handle " here is pretty generic.

We also have some members called :
cigar smoker
cigarsmoka
cigarsmokin
..and many other members with Cigar +( insert word here ) as their handle. For some of us who frequent many cigar forums, keeping who-is-who can become difficult.

I suggest you start using an unique avatar so that it is easier to identify you, and so that your posts stand out from the masses.

:MMM
I already suggested boobies. :thumbs:

Wilkey
Yeah, but we were ignoring you. :laugh:
Wilkey

Cigar Smoke:

cigar smoker
cigarsmoka
cigarsmokin
..and many other members with Cigar +( insert word here ) as their handle. For some of us who frequent many cigar forums, keeping who-is-who can become difficult.

I suggest you start using an unique avatar so that it is easier to identify you, and so that your posts stand out from the masses.

Wilkey
Wilkey

Double................

Cigar Smoke:

cigar smoker
cigarsmoka
cigarsmokin

Wilkey
Wilkey

Double................
Way to play. :thumbs: :cool:

Wilkey

Now for the cigar...WOW! What a completely different blend than the regular Edmundo. Very dark EL-like appearance, good construction, draw was a little easy, but the burn was razor sharp. The flavors detected started out as a distinct slightly sweetened dark coffee with a spicy undertone. Midway, got some very nice chocolate and leather undertones and the cigar finished with some creaminess that reminded me of a creamy latte. The spicy undertone was present throughout the cigar. According to my friend, he said that this cigar reminded him of old-school Monte flavors. It never got bitter and it was definitely a finger-burner. I couldn't put it down. Really, quite an incredible smoke for such a young cigar. My only complaint is that was just too short. It only took 35 minutes to finish the bugger. The use of aged leaves certainly shows with how little harshness this smoke exhibited.
What a compelling review. Thanks, Sam! It seems to be a totally different cigar from the specimen that another fellow smoked and posted about on CW:

Well smoked 1 yesturday and not impressed at all. Very harsh on the throat . Tasted DOminican with flavors of a bad or the original bland Edmundos. I sure hope these get better , for I am not one who is buying cigars to wait years to smoke them.

I will give em 30 days and see how they are then. If no good they will be put away or traded
Wilkey

The Edmundo, and it looks like now the Petit Edmundo as well, are really contentious and subjective cigars, it seems. Some people love them and swear by them...others absolutely hate them and say every single one they've tried as sucked. I can't say either way, as they aren't exactly my fav size and I haven't gotten any so far. What a wierd cigar.

The Edmundo, and it looks like now the Petit Edmundo as well, are really contentious and subjective cigars, it seems. Some people love them and swear by them...others absolutely hate them and say every single one they've tried as sucked. I can't say either way, as they aren't exactly my fav size and I haven't gotten any so far. What a wierd cigar.
They are a stubby little thing. Even moreso than the HdM Petit Robusto. Sort of like smoking a 35mm film canister.

Wilkey

The first release of the edmundos back in 04 were poorly blended. The more recent ones are good........That may be part of the reason.......

Bob

A member of another forum recently raised a question about the new Montecristo bands in. Coincidentally, a few days earlier, a colleague contacted me about this exact issue. Until very recently, it was not widely known that Habanos had slipstreamed a change into the design and execution of the Montecristo band. In fact, if memory serves, the Monte band had last been updated sometime in 2003. In any case, a brand new Monte Petit Edmundo was soon on its way to me for examination.

Here is a comparative photo of the very old band and the "new" band just recently obsoleted. Notice the more highly detailed fleur de lis on the "new" band and the significantly crisper graphics. The two dots flanking the central ring are also visibly larger on the "new" band. There is also a difference in the paper stock used. The old band used a matte finished plain paper. The "new" band used a glossy finish stock.
MonteBandsOldNew03.jpg

Now, here is a comparative photo of the "new" band and the very new band first seen on the Petit Edmundo. The box date for the Petit Edmundo is November 2006. The paper stock seems not have changed and neither have the elements of the printed design. However, three features are now enhanced by embossing. These three features are the inner and outer rings and the fleur de lis.
MonteBandsOldNew02.jpg

As to the claim that the added embossing is a device to deter counterfeiting, I do not believe this to be entirely credible. I've seen many counterfeits and many with detailed, high quality embossing that rivals the authentic goods. I suspect that the most reasonable objective is simply to dress up the band a little. In that case, getting the registration right would help. BTW, this is yet another example of why registration should never be used to gauge authenticity.

Wilkey

Edit: The previous new band was introduced in 2003, not 2005.

I will let you know if they are fakes if you want :blush:

The first release of the edmundos back in 04 were poorly blended. The more recent ones are good........That may be part of the reason.......

Bob

I wasn't all that turned on by those 04's as well and will need to give the more recent ones another try.

:cool: