• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

my ESG review

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
well, after sitting in the chat room today and talking a little about the Ashton ESG, I got the bug to fire one up! So, here we go...

first off, ambience. Fall day, cool and windy. But spectacular! Wife was sent off to work so it was just the pups and I. Sitting on the back deck, with a Capt'n Morgans and Coke. Not too bad, hmmm? :laugh:

So I grabbed a ESG and looked at it. Overall, a rather nice looking cigar! The wrapper was smooth, slightly dark, and no cracks, blemishes or other problems. I choose a V-cut for this, and it went smoothly. No loose debris, so a test draw was called for. Nice... smooth draw with no plug, or none too loose either. So flame was made, and the foot toasted. A nice aroma ensued, and that was the first clue to the dogs that something new was afoot! They got interested, but more on this later. Now the flame was put to the cigar, and a test puff. Nice... nice smoke, nice flavor, nice all around. But that was it... just 'nice'. Not 'fantastic'. Not 'Wow'. Not 'Holy Cow'! Just nice... but nice is good!

So I'm still in the chat room with kfj, and later tkoepp and boonedoggle came in. The cigar was quite nice (there's that word again) - but the first inch or so it seemed like there was a lack of smoke- I had to puff, then puff again to get a good volume. That's probably my fault, as it didn't get a lot of time to rest in my humi. But the taste was pretty nice ( :laugh: ) - somewhat zesty, spicy, whatever. Just not a lot, but enough to tell.

The next inch was better- the smoke came easier, and the flavor got somewhat stronger. It was not quite as good as a VSG, or a 858SG, but it was not unpleasant by any stretch of the imagination. It was not a strong cigar... more like a medium bodied? I never got a buzz, or any light headedness at all from it.

The ash was nice and tight, and the burn was even and never had to be touched up. It was fairly breezy out, so the ash tended to drop off frequently. After that first inch, the smoke came easier and with more volume, but was never a 'cloud of smoke' producer (I like that in a cigar...)

The middle of the cigar was more of the same... nice and pleasant, but never got any stronger or more flavorful.

The last few inches, I noticed the taste was getting stronger, but with that came a more 'ashy' taste. That subdued itself in the last inch, but by then the wind had picked up, the temp had dropped (more...) and I was ready to go in. I did not nub it, but got to within an inch of the end.

MY opinion of this cigar was that it is a good cigar... probably a very good cigar. BUT... the hype, and the cost, detracted from it somewhat. Is it worth the cost right now? No, I don't think so. Would I buy more? If the price dropped some, yes I would. I also have a couple more of these, and I'll put them away for this summer and later, to see if they improve with any age.

now... my DOGS opinion! :laugh: Well, all I can say is that they behaved the same way they did when I smoked a Casa Fuente awhile ago - they both were ALL over me, trying to get to it. Porter, I know, is a cigar snob... he only like the best, or so it seems. However, Amber has never shown any interest in them. She actually stays away from me most times. But even this time, she was in close trying to get the taste!

So, there must be something to these cigars! So, I'll revisit them with some age and see what happens.

Nice review :p

Still looking around for these, I am sure once the initial craze dips these should be a good pick up from the B&M. Really good pics, my gf loves your dogs, I love those snow covered peaks in the background.

Thanks for another opinion on this much talked about cigar.

CYG

I absolutely LOVE this picture!! :thumbs:

So, I had an interesting experience this weekend and wanted to "celebrate life" when I finally made it back home. I looked through the humi and tried to see what I had been really wanting to smoke but put it off for some later undetermined date, and came up with the ESG. Tonight was to be the night I finally tried this cigar that I had been yearning for months and months before it came out and then for another month after it sat in my humi.

Well, my sentiments mimick Swissy's. It was a really good cigar, but nothing outstanding, knocking my socks off, just really good. Very medium bodied, not really spicy, not really strong, but still very good. I was a little disappointed due to all the hype and my apprehension, but it was still a good cigar. I'll let the rest of them sit and see what they do over time.

Thanks for the review!! That was a lot more than two words! I'm shocked. :p

Well done Jim, I would imagine with that backdrop, it by itself would almost make any cigar better. Wow its beautiful out there.

Maybe i should get me a dog or maybe just a manequin so that i can have someone/thing to enjoy a good smoke with. :D

I agree with BlueDragon, of the few ive had I never once thought of it being spicy

what kind o dog is that Jim?...nice review btw...and pics.

what kind o dog is that Jim?...nice review btw...and pics.
they are Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs (hence my handle 'Swissy') GREAT dogs- we had always rescued dogs from the pound, but I think I'll have this breed forever from now on...

I agree with BlueDragon, of the few ive had I never once thought of it being spicy
y'know, maybe 'spice' was the wrong word- certainly not like an Opus... but it had something... that's why I hate reviews- I can never describe it the way I taste it.

Great review!!

Did you ever think it's the "gar' mouth" they are after?

I mean, dogs go after another dog's butt...so, it would reason that.... :sign:

Great review Jim, can't wait till they finally make it over here so I can try one! :cool:

Great review, and great pics! And, FWIW, I tend to agree with your assessment.

Great review! I am smoking my first today, found some down at the local Tinderbox this past weekend. I could tell the wife was a bit pissed at me spending 25 bucks for a cigar, but I told her this wasn't going to be a everyday smoke for me :) ;) I almost had to buy a new couch for her!!!

EDIT:

So I smoked it, thank goodness there was traffic ;) first time ever that I have ever said that. It was great, I mean awful, don't buy these they are gross ;) It is just like a VSG in terms of ash, becareful when driving as the ash flakes in small pieces and will get all over you, I had some in my eye for awhile ;) I agree with Swissy in everything he said in his review, this was a great smoke, just to expensive.