• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My latest ashtray x2

Handyman Dave's thread....

This is one of our illustrious woodworkers at work. He was upfront about what he wanted to do and he posted it in the correct forum. We're not saying you trying to sell them is wrong, but the way you're going about it is wrong. Sell all you want in the Retailers Forum....Just not in the Humidor forum....

Please understand, I'm not trying to sell anything! I own 2 businesses and commercial real estate and do very well at it. I do this strictly for fun and relaxation. I've always had requests for my work but that's because it's not some mass produced product, it's unique. Building Humidors and ashtrays is A part of MY cigar lifestyle. I'm only trying to share with you who I am. It takes hours to make an ashtray like this. The only way I could turn A profit is if I were to charge hundreds of dollars for an ashtray. I don't see that as A way to make A living. To be honest with you. I've only made 5 ashtrays to this date. The woodwork I have made money on is vessels. They have in some cases thousands of individual pieces. I only sell vessels at select art shows or when I'm commissioned to build A piece. I don't think this would be my market for any of the vessels I make and I have not posted any of them here. Anyone who has approached me to build something for them I have stated up front that I will not do anything that breaks the rules here. Again, I'm not in the business of doing this. I only share my work with A select few people. I've only built around 6 or 7 Humidors and 4 or 5 ashtrays ever. 2 of the humidors are my own and the others went to friends. 2 ashtrays are mine and 3 went to friends. No money made at all. My BIL calls me the "Idiot savant of spacial skills" It's just the way my wires are wound. I was going to eventually post A 99 picture step by step build of my personal humidor but I guess that won't be appropriate so I won't.

Sorry if I've been misinterpreted butone more time, I'm not marketing to sell. (Until I retire in 10 or so years :laugh: )

Thanks for having me here and I won't post any more pics if that is what you would like.

Bill offered me an ashtray over some PMs that went back and forth and specified that he didn't want to post it, as he didn't want to break any rules on CP. I vouch for him and his innocent mistake.

Thanks for having me here and I won't post any more pics if that is what you would like.
Personally, I enjoy seeing your work and don't feel there's been any ambiguity in your intentions. As I said, you do really beautiful work. My $00.02 would be to post away.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

I'd like to see more pictures as well of your work, no need to stop posting them.

Personally, I enjoy seeing your work and don't feel there's been any ambiguity in your intentions. As I said, you do really beautiful work. My $00.02 would be to post away.

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Times two Bill! Keep posting away. I was a little surprised when I saw this at first.

Then I thought about it. Not everyone knows the background story like I do about your hobby. So, in a way you can't blame Justin, or others for coming to the conclusion they did. Thanks for posting what you did. Maybe that will help clear things up a bit for everyone.

FWIW........I enquired into Bill's works, and wondered if he'd be interested in selling any. He gave me the same response. That he didn't come here to hawk his wares, and this hobby was a spiritual passion that he felt most here would appreciate.. He was invited by an upstanding member to join. "I don't want to break any rules here" was what he specifically said to me, and that he'd rather bomb others with his creations.

Thanks guys. I really like it here and don't want to offend anyone. That being said, here's the ashtray I built last night as an X-mas gift for A friend thats not A member here. I tried something new. I did A coral inlay on the top. Tell me if you think it's A yea or A nea. :thumbs:
347820892.jpg

347820868.jpg

347820786.jpg

Thanks guys. I really like it here and don't want to offend anyone. That being said, here's the ashtray I built last night as an X-mas gift for A friend thats not A member here. I tried something new. I did A coral inlay on the top. Tell me if you think it's A yea or A nea. :thumbs:
347820892.jpg

347820868.jpg

347820786.jpg

Freakin awesome!

Just a general question, why do you capitalize every A in your posts, LOL?

HM your work is amazing. I really enjoy seeing your works on here and I am glad you are a member of this great community. What you have is a gift i really appreciate you sharing your pictures with us.

Please understand, I'm not trying to sell anything! I own 2 businesses and commercial real estate and do very well at it. I do this strictly for fun and relaxation. I've always had requests for my work but that's because it's not some mass produced product, it's unique. Building Humidors and ashtrays is A part of MY cigar lifestyle. I'm only trying to share with you who I am. It takes hours to make an ashtray like this. The only way I could turn A profit is if I were to charge hundreds of dollars for an ashtray. I don't see that as A way to make A living. To be honest with you. I've only made 5 ashtrays to this date. The woodwork I have made money on is vessels. They have in some cases thousands of individual pieces. I only sell vessels at select art shows or when I'm commissioned to build A piece. I don't think this would be my market for any of the vessels I make and I have not posted any of them here. Anyone who has approached me to build something for them I have stated up front that I will not do anything that breaks the rules here. Again, I'm not in the business of doing this. I only share my work with A select few people. I've only built around 6 or 7 Humidors and 4 or 5 ashtrays ever. 2 of the humidors are my own and the others went to friends. 2 ashtrays are mine and 3 went to friends. No money made at all. My BIL calls me the "Idiot savant of spacial skills" It's just the way my wires are wound. I was going to eventually post A 99 picture step by step build of my personal humidor but I guess that won't be appropriate so I won't.

Sorry if I've been misinterpreted butone more time, I'm not marketing to sell. (Until I retire in 10 or so years :laugh: )

I wasn't trying to suggest that you stop posting pics of your work, I think I enjoy looking at them as much as anybody. What I was saying is that if you are wanting to sell them, just be upfront about it. I'm sure there will be people lining up to buy them because they are beautiful pieces.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent, and if that is the case I sincerely apologize.

Amazing skill in the details, Humidor Minister.

Do you use mesquite or ironwood in any of your pieces?

Thank you guys very much. I apologize if I came off harsh. I'm glad you all enjoy my builds. As far as the time it takes goes. I do it in stages. I do the first stage of building the bottom by glueing 10 pieces together and wait for glue to dry. Then that piece is cut into 10 more pieces, reconfigured and glued back together. Now while the glue is drying I make the segments for the top ring, glue them up and wait. After they both dry I cut the bottom pattern to size and surround the pattern with the red square. Again, wait for the glue to dry. While that's drying I take the top ring to the drum sander and make it flat on both sides. Now it's back to the bottom 1/2. I now true up the 4 sides and make sort of a picture frame around the center and glue it up. Once the glue is dry I take that to the drum sander as well to make it flat. Now I glue the top to the bottom and put it in a screw press to dry again. It's now time to glue a tenon on the back and chuck it up in the lathe. I use about 5 different turning tools to create the shape then I cut 3 grooves on the edges and burn in the black stripes. Now I go to the spindle sander and make the saddles for the cigars. The finish is a friction polish that is applied while it's spinning at about 600 RPMs in layers. Now I cut off the tenon and finish the bottom and it's done. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

This whole process takes about 4 evenings after work. I usually put in 3 hours a night. My LOML works 3 nights a week as a nurse so it works out great. For me, it's far better than re-runs. The sad part is that it takes about 20k in tools to do it right and as you can see, I really don't make a dime at it. Just a great way of not paying a therapist is my reward I guess. :thumbs:

First, there is no problem with the pic nor will there be with a step by step showing of how you built your humidor. All that happened was that IF you decide to sell your ashtrays is that you need to post in the appropriate forum. No harm, no foul to this point.

I have to agree, you do beautiful work.

I was going to eventually post A 99 picture step by step build of my personal humidor but I guess that won't be appropriate so I won't.

I'd just like to say thanks for everyones kind comments. I enjoy sharing the fruits of my labor with all of you. There may come a time that I do put my work in the sell section but right now I really don't want another job. My last 2 hobbies have become my career. I own a mobile Electronics business and also an Offroad shop. Both were hobbies that turned into my career. I will say though, it's great to do what you love for a living. I hope every one of you get to do so. Thanks again for all the kindness. I do enjoy it here.

BTW I'm on the fence. Do you guys like the coral inlay or do you think it should be just wood?

That's an awesome piece of work and I like the inlay. It's kind of hard to see how big or small that ashtray is though. Perhaps you can add a cigar to the picture next time???

I think the coral inlay really suits it, goes well with the wood, I like it a lot. Really quite spectacular craftsmanship.

I like the coral inlay! Another great piece.

Although I have to admit you started to lose me after "I do the first stage..."

JK!

I really admire all you craftsmen out there. Whether it be woodworking or metalworking or whatever. It's all about the details.

Thanks for sharing!

I'll try to rember the camera next time I build one. (I'm bad about the camera being at work when I need it at home) That'll be much easier to make a post about than the humidor. I will do both asap though. When you see how the pattern is done it'll put a smile on your face. :laugh: