• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My New Addiction

yanksfan

So I was at my local B&M last night looking for something different to smoke and he says "have you ever thought about a pipe?". Well, needless to say I walked out of there with my first pipe, accessories, and a 4 pack sampler LOL. The wife was real impressed when I got home and showed her my new addiction. Anyways, I fired up a bowlfull and being the newb I am had trouble keeping things lit. All in all I was far from discouraged and am looking forward to trying many different kinds of tobacco and buying a few more pipes I'm sure. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also, are you supposed to wait a couple days before smoking the same pipe again?
So here's a pic. It's not a Boswell(yet). It's a Chacom I bought for $40. Hopefully I didn't pay way too much. LOL

DCP01292.jpg

Nice!

Buy a few cobs if you're going to be sampling a lot of different tobaccos. They tend to need less rest and don't seem to maintain flavors as much as briar. Once you test a tobacco a few times in the cob to see if you like it, do as you wish. There are many who say to dedicate a pipe to a blend, there are many that say dedicate a particular shape to a particular type of tobacco, and there are many that say smoke what you want in whatever pipe you want. That's what I do. :D I've found that as long as I give my pipes adequate rest time and take good care of them with cleaning I don't have much problem with ghosting or anything else.

Letting your pipe rest for awhile between smokes is recommended. Some don't and have no problems, some don't and crack the briar.

Don't pack too tight and the relights may be less necessary. Wet aromatics also contribute to this. Don't worry about relights all that much, though. It's kind of annoying sometimes, but it's not a big deal.

Congratulations and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Briar!! You'll slowly work out the kinks with time, but you'll love it all the way ;)

Yeah, its a beautiful thing.. I took up the pipe about 3 months ago so I could smoke in the house during the winter. I didn't think I would enjoy it this much. Started out with the cob and just received my first Boswell 3 days ago with a bunch of tobacco samples. Its a great pipe but I think I enjoy my cobs better, I'm sure that will change over time after I break it in a little. I have also been very lucky with packing and lighting, It hardly goes out on me until it hits 3/4 of the way down.