• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Need some suggestions.

DraXxus1549

Hey, I am really new to this forum, If this kind of question is frowned up please let me know I will have it closed down.

I am pretty new to cigar smoking, usually I only smoke over the summer which only lasts about 3-4 months in New England, So I am not very experienced. I am open to try new brands and things but I really have no idea what I am looking for, throughout all of the cigars I have smoked I have really only had one bad experience, it was a Padron, my roommate gave it to me I don't really know much else about it. I have smoked a few others like a bunch from CAO which I have enjoyed. (Italia, Brazilia, Gold) I had an Oliva once which was good for the price, I got it for about $4. Also someothers which I can't really recall right now.

I guess what I am trying to get it is I want to broaden my horizons but I don't know anyone who could help me out. So I came here hoping you guys can guide me through some new cigar smoking experiences.

Thanks in advance, and please let me know if this kind of thread is frowned upon, I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with everyone.

Welcome to CP. There are numerous threads about cigars for newer smokers. I would also suggest you read the review threads and note some of the flavors noted by the reviewers. Find some that sound good to you and check out the NST. The Newbie Sampler Trade is a great way to sample a lot of great cigars.

Definitely recommend the Newbie Sampler Trade as by MoeCizlak. They will take good care of you and it will give you a wide range of cigars to try that you might not have ever thought about picking up.

And add some info, like address, to your profile!

John

First mistake was using "Padron" and "bad experience" in the same sentence here. ;) Just kidding but as stated, the CP newbie sampler is a great start. You can also contact anyone of our longtime vendors/members here like uptownisy, hermit11, norcalmark, gmiranda33,Keystone_Raider*, jackschwartz*, etc... and they'll be sure to take care of you.

*edit

First mistake was using "Padron" and "bad experience" in the same sentence here. ;)

Thats what I keep hearing, it was my first time cut me some slack :blush:. I guess I really should try another, they seem to have a very good reputation.

First mistake was using "Padron" and "bad experience" in the same sentence here. ;)

Thats what I keep hearing, it was my first time cut me some slack :blush:. I guess I really should try another, they seem to have a very good reputation.

Definitely give them a try. I remember my first padron was a black banded fuma and it was like smoking an astray. Now, although not my favorite line, they are very consistent and humi worthy. Just remember not to rule out a cigar on one bad experience and vice versa. You'll run into duds and bad rolls.

Also, you'll find that your tastes will change over time. I wasn't a huge fan of stronger smokes when starting out, but now one of my favorites is the soparnos series from CAO. My best advice is to find a good, reputable brick and mortar to hang out at. This way you can go pick up a cigar here and there to get a feel for what you like. Usually, the shop owners will give you suggestions as well. As you get more experienced, then you can start buying boxes and participating in trades/FS/passes. Also, keep your profile updated. I use mine to keep a running total of what I like which is helpful when I'm looking to share my tastes

With that said, if you just want a suggestion, my absolute favorite go to smoke is pretty much any maduro by Arturo Fuente. I usually opt for the Chateu series because this is what my local B&M stocks.

Do you know which Padron it was? All the brown labels tend to be hit or miss, I have had brown labels that tasted like burnt mold. It could have been just a good one but too strong. Padron likes to add a kick in their 1926 & 1964 Maduros.

Do you know which Padron it was? All the brown labels tend to be hit or miss, I have had brown labels that tasted like burnt mold. It could have been just a good one but too strong. Padron likes to add a kick in their 1926 & 1964 Maduros.

To be honest I have no idea which it was, I do know almost for certain that it was not a Maduro. As far as I know a maduro usually has a darker wrapper, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are dead on. :) Anywho, just wondering if we can narrow down as to why your first padron wasn't great. :)

I know that this probably won't help to narrow it down but it is one of these, Linkthe band looks familiar, when my roommate told me that he tasted chocolate when he smoked it, obviously I did not. Don't know if you will be able to narrow it down with those 2 things but hey its worth a shot.

Check to see if either of these ring a bell. It's either shiny with gold paint or just a brown paper.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/padron/MilesMingusMonk2/padron_1964_anniversary.jpg
or
http://www.teasemeteas.com/Padron-Regular.gif

Oh thats my bad for the link I thought it went to a certain style, I believe it was the second one, just the regular band nothing fancy.

Those tend to be a much bigger chance of a hit or miss. They are cheaper than their premium brand but may taste like crap some of the times. ;)

First, I would suggest giving Padron another chance (or two). They get a bit expensive once you start working your way up to their more premium lines of Padron Anniversary and Padron 1926, but I really believe Padron is the benchmark for Nicaraguan tobacco and you really should make an effort to try as many as you can. Maybe Padrons don't and won't do anything for you, and that's totally fine. I know plenty of folks who don't really care for them (I think they're crazy, but that's cool).

Second, I don't know how you ended up finding Cigar Pass but you definitely found one of the very best cigar boards on the internet. There is a lot of knowledge here so don't be afraid to ask questions. I believe most would suggest you do a search on the site before asking a question because there is a lot of info on here from previous posts. The only question I wouldn't ask if I were you is, "Cello on or cello off?" Try it and see what happens...I dare you
laugh.gif

Stick around and make some friends. There are a bunch of folks on the board that I've had the pleasure to meet, and quite a few I have never met, and I consider all of them "friends". And not in a facebook "friend" way, either.

Take care,
Eric

Well thank you Jack, the way I found this board was by seeing my roommate on it here all the time last year, I'm not sure what his user name is but he seemed to be here a lot. He was actually the one who gave me the Padron too, next time I go and get a cigar I will definitely take a look at the Pardons.

So far this has been one of the friendliest boards I have been apart of. I have been apart of a few but this is my first cigar board, and so far so good.

PS. I think I will do a little research on the cello question before I ask, if I do. :p

I am thinking about buying a humidor soon, so I will be needing to fill it up :laugh:. Could you guys recommend some good samplers? Is that the best way to do it? or would buying them individually be better?

I am thinking about buying a humidor soon, so I will be needing to fill it up :laugh:. Could you guys recommend some good samplers? Is that the best way to do it? or would buying them individually be better?
I did.
Welcome to CP. There are numerous threads about cigars for newer smokers. I would also suggest you read the review threads and note some of the flavors noted by the reviewers. Find some that sound good to you and check out the NST. The Newbie Sampler Trade is a great way to sample a lot of great cigars.