• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

New International Gas Station Symbol

Boomer52

Good Friends, Good Cigars
Reaction score
IntlGasSymbol.jpg

It's pushing $4.00 per gallon here in Southern California.

Yeppers...

And those prices really hurt the transportation aspect when driving to out-of-the-area herfs when you're getting together with other BOTLs that are more than 30 minutes away from you!!!

Funny post IMO...

Up $0.10 in one week here. I drive a turbocharged 93 octane chugger. Yep. That's me on the sign.

Wilkey

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that 'sign'. Government makes more on a gallon of gas than do the suppliers. And, government prevents any and all new drilling for oil and has not allowed a refinery to have been built here in the last 30 years.

Perhaps that sign's creator agrees with hillary and would take(rob!) the supplier's profits from them.....? You think gas is high now...... :0

Dan

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that 'sign'. Government makes more on a gallon of gas than do the suppliers. And, government prevents any and all new drilling for oil and has not allowed a refinery to have been built here in the last 30 years.

Perhaps that sign's creator agrees with hillary and would take(rob!) the supplier's profits from them.....? You think gas is high now...... :0

Dan

Most people dont understand how the system works Dan.

Dan

While it's true that the Gov't makes more in taxes than the oil companies take in profit, how do you explain the ginormous profits said oil companies post quarterly?? Jeez, look at the energy mutual funds and think again!!! Also, explain how oil can go up a couple of bucks a barrel, and within hours, prices jump at the pumps, but when
price per barrel drops, it takes days for it to filter down to us. I guess that's the Government's doing too? Let's face it, both parties are at fault, but please don't take the side of the ripoff artists, the Oil Barons.

For what it's worth, it's cheaper for me to pay $4 toll each way to Detroit to pay $3.30 a gal than it is to pay $1.21 a Lt here.

Dan

While it's true that the Gov't makes more in taxes than the oil companies take in profit, how do you explain the ginormous profits said oil companies post quarterly?? Jeez, look at the energy mutual funds and think again!!! Also, explain how oil can go up a couple of bucks a barrel, and within hours, prices jump at the pumps, but when
price per barrel drops, it takes days for it to filter down to us. I guess that's the Government's doing too? Let's face it, both parties are at fault, but please don't take the side of the ripoff artists, the Oil Barons.

For what it's worth, it's cheaper for me to pay $4 toll each way to Detroit to pay $3.30 a gal than it is to pay $1.21 a Lt here.

2 years ago when the steel market went nuts my company made a killing. Why? Because it didnt matter how high the price was we kep the same margins. Same happens with the gas stations. If a gas station pays $3.00 for whats in his ground and tomorrow he has to pay $3.50 he is going to keep the same margin and make a bunch of that gas., but what about when the gas goes down? If it dropped to $2.50 a gallon now the station is going to lose money on that gas. That is one of the reasons it does not fall as fast. Would you want to lose money on something you just bought to sell? Nobody ever said anything to Mobil in the 70's when they were losing there ass. Do I like high gas prices, no not at all, but the government could drop the tax on it to help. Biofuels are another huge reason that gas prices are sky rocketing.

Facts on fuels

"Taxes add a significant amount to the price of motor fuel and vary widely by state. For the first quarter of 2008, the average state gasoline tax is 28.6 cents per gallon, plus 18.4 cents per gallon federal tax making the total 47 cents per gallon. For diesel, the average state tax is 29.2 cents per gallon plus an additional 24.4 cents per gallon federal tax making the total 53.6 cents per gallon. See map below for more details.."

Exxon's profits vs. TAXES

"During 2005, the Tax Foundation’s Jonathan Williams and Scott Hodge found, Exxon-Mobil, Chevron (NYSE: CVX), and ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP) “paid a combined corporate income tax burden of $44.3 billion on their reported gross earnings. Compared to last year’s combined corporate income taxes of $29.7 billion, their burden for 2005 has increased by 49.2 percent and follows the overall trend of escalating corporate tax collections in the United States.”

Williams and Hodge added in their January 31 “Fiscal Fact” that “the average effective tax rate on the major integrated oil and gas industry is estimated to equal 38.3 percent. This exceeds the estimated average effective tax rate of 32.3 percent for the market as a whole.” "

I don't think it really matters who is at fault but as a consumer of gasoline these prices BLOW! And above that I am willing to wager that NONE of the people who are accountable for the astronomical gas prices go to the pumps 2 times a week to fill up. In the last 8 years oil has gone from $40/barrel to $118/barrel with no increased value to the customer. Gas is still the same it just costs more.

Fish

Stop whining, YOU appointed the government and only YOU can change that.

On the flip side...I'm lucky to get +- 6 MPG in my motor coach. This summer my gas cost will be 40% higher than last summer... Shiver and shake.
The sad thing is that there are 8 million RV families in the US, majority, obviously, working class and retired. These folk will not be able to afford any distance traveling. Work hard
all your life, retire to enjoy and travel and now forced to stay put...sucks!

Mind you, the above is an analogy on our lives right now. The real travesty is that gas affects every aspect of our lives, EVERYTHING!

Brian

Dan

2 years ago when the steel market went nuts my company made a killing. Why? Because it didnt matter how high the price was we kep the same margins. Same happens with the gas stations. If a gas station pays $3.00 for whats in his ground and tomorrow he has to pay $3.50 he is going to keep the same margin and make a bunch of that gas., but what about when the gas goes down? If it dropped to $2.50 a gallon now the station is going to lose money on that gas. That is one of the reasons it does not fall as fast. Would you want to lose money on something you just bought to sell? Nobody ever said anything to Mobil in the 70's when they were losing there ass. Do I like high gas prices, no not at all, but the government could drop the tax on it to help. Biofuels are another huge reason that gas prices are sky rocketing.

I'm not going to pretend I know the way things work in the States, but will assume they're similar to Canada.

Here, the gas stations have no say in what price they charge at the pumps. They are TOLD by the supplier what price they charge, and there are well documented cases where independents have lost their supply because they have refused to comply with these pricing demands. So, we're back to the same thing, the Oil Companies playing the anti-Robin Hood with the blessing of the Government.

BTW Bill, sweet avtar!!!! :love:

Brian, yes, we put the government in, but what choices do you have? Ever seen a successful "Honest" politician?

Lightninrod, not sure what you're saying except to strengthrn the fact that the taxes we pay on fuels are raping us worse than the oil companies.

Bitching about gas is alright, but politics should be left out even though its the cause.

I thought this board followed bar rules.

As to the cost of gas now.....copied from the first link in my post above.

"ARE TODAY'S GASOLINES PRICES HIGHER THAN EVER?

Nope. It is true that today's prices are higher than they have been in recent years. But when you adjust for inflation - keeping the buying power of the dollar constant over time - you see that current prices remain well below historical highs.

U.S. Pump Prices in Perspective, 1918-2008

image001b.jpg

As to the cost of gas now.....copied from the first link in my post above.

"ARE TODAY'S GASOLINES PRICES HIGHER THAN EVER?

Nope. It is true that today's prices are higher than they have been in recent years. But when you adjust for inflation - keeping the buying power of the dollar constant over time - you see that current prices remain well below historical highs.

U.S. Pump Prices in Perspective, 1918-2008

image001b.jpg
at $4 a gallon pritty fn high