• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

ok big problem

FightingIrish

I had just put some new cigars into my humidor. It is a pretty new humidor and the humidity was struggling to get above 60. Anyways I put a small shot glass into the humi with the cigars in it, just in case the cigars were pretty dry. anywyas i come home from work and find that someone had spilled the shot glass! one of my brothers i suppose. Anyways, my cigar that was in a tube had the cap off, and is sopping wet. the other cigars wrapped in cello are very moist from the humidity, but not soaking wet from being drenched in water. So now the question is what do i do? is it possible to save the drenched one? Also now that the cedar in my humi is soaked what do i do about that? I'm so pissed because these were the first cigars i bought and i was gonna smoke one tonight! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

You may be S.O.L. I had a cigar that got soaked with rain last night and it was absolutely nasty afterwards and I was pissed. The cigar was a re-burn and it was rain water on them, so I just don't know. Don't pitch em...just dry them out naturally and try to smoke them in a day or so. If they are nasty, pitch it. My two cents. Good luck and be more careful next time! ;)

yeah, well i figured i may just be screwed here. I had it hidden away in a safe place so it wouldn't be bothered while i was away, but whatever. And i think that one that is drenched is probably a gonner, it smells nasty.

its ok.

remove the shot glass.

what are you using as a humidification device?

remove that for a cple days.

let the cigars dry out (back to 65%-70%)

than reinsert humidification device and your cigars should be ok.

maintain rh to (65-70%)

one thing about cigars is that they are pretty resilient to changes!

I'm just using a puck thats got the oasis foam in it soaked in the 50/50 pg/distilled water solution.

Ooops didnt see the part about the hunidor.

You can move all cigars to a DRYBOX. (tupperdor)Let them sit there until they dry off a bit (maybe a week or so) you can check RH using your hygrometer. (60-65%)

Leave the humidor open and let it dry out.

Than reinsert the humidification device back into humidor to get back to desired RH.

ONce desired rh is acheived re-introduce the cigars to your humidor

ALSO GET RID OF THAT PUCK! and solution stuff.!

go to www.cigarmony.com and get your self a humipuck

or pick up some beads from Viper!!

best way to maintain RH to acceptable levels.

And also buy more cigars..LOL!!

Next time..... no shot glass..... use a small piece of sponge soaked with distilled water and place that in the shot glass

Even cigars that get substantially soaked are potentially salvageable. If you are going to smoke one tonight or tomorrow, leave it out in a part of the house that is air conditioned or dry. I occasionally use my basement as a drybox.

I would leave out the one that got wet and just let it dry out. Then spark it up. If it isn't totally nasty, then go ahead and burn it down. If it were an entire box that took damage then we'd go about it differently, but as it was only one cigar, just dry it, cut off the frayed or torn parts and smoke it.

A wet re-lit cigar is nothing but horrible, in the most horrible way.

Wilkey

I just smoked one of the cigars that got a little moist. I just left it out it dried out a bit and it smoked great. So the ones that where a little damp should be ok. we'll have to see how good the romeo y julieta that got soaked will be. I'm not going to touch that one for a few weeks. Its already drying out. So we'll see how it turns out. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully one of these days i'll be handing out the advice.