• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Double Robusto Maduro?

Hey - hate ro resurrect an old thread, but where did we end up with this? I just bought 2 Opus X Double Robusto Maduro's off of Cbid for $31 and want to know if I got the legit stuff. ;) .

No - seriously. I'm GG... http://www.cigarbid....URO-Single/ :thumbs:

Nice George. Light those suckers up and give us a review. Hopefully the cigars don't look like the one in the picture. :D

83023085.gif

Dear God, whatever it is take it away. Far away.

No way I get to sleep tonight. Thanks.

That frickin' scary bird is right out of "When dinosaurs roamed the earth" on The Discovery Channel.

George imo you have to inspect the wrapper and appraise. Feel free to shoot me a pic when you get them in and I will give my thoughts. Based on what I have seen/heard there are really 3 possibilities (and to qualify I have smoked quite a few opus maduros, including those from the 2002 box, those from giveaways or directly from Carlito, those from the recent Prometheus humis with the CT broadleaf wrapper which is VERY different from the traditional opus maduro wrapper, AND these double robustos/whatever that have been showing up).
-

1) The cigar has the lighter opus maduro wrapper and is part of some give away Carlito did at some point
2) The cigar is a scorpio maduro rebanded somehow
3) The cigar is a total fake that has been rebanded as an opus

George imo you have to inspect the wrapper and appraise. Feel free to shoot me a pic when you get them in and I will give my thoughts. Based on what I have seen/heard there are really 3 possibilities (and to qualify I have smoked quite a few opus maduros, including those from the 2002 box, those from giveaways or directly from Carlito, those from the recent Prometheus humis with the CT broadleaf wrapper which is VERY different from the traditional opus maduro wrapper, AND these double robustos/whatever that have been showing up).
-

What they hey Phil !

Your a Don in the NC mafia ? loll

-

1) The cigar has the lighter opus maduro wrapper and is part of some give away Carlito did at some point
2) The cigar is a scorpio maduro rebanded somehow
3) The cigar is a total fake that has been rebanded as an opus

Hey Phil!

Here's a couple of photos that might help a bit...

With the cello on - next to a Opus X Fuente Fuente....

2013-01-17_12-14-39_398.jpg

With cello off - again, next to a Opus X Fuente Fuente...

2013-01-17_12-16-04_806.jpg

Without cedar wrapper...

2013-01-17_13-42-32_303.jpg

Close up without cedar wrapper...

2013-01-17_13-42-43_747.jpg

It is definitely a very dark maduro wrapper, and does appear to be a Double Robusto size. A Scorpio rebanded? Not sure - I've not ever had a Scorpio Maduro... Total fake rebanded as Opus? (or something similar) Hmmm... That kind of was my point - is CBid doing some sort of shenanigans?!? The price sure seemed to be right...

I won't have a chance to smoke it for a bit (not likely until February or March), but I will sure check back in with my impressions...

Nice George. Light those suckers up and give us a review. Hopefully the cigars don't look like the one in the picture. :D

Yeah - the picture in the ad had me wondering... But the product that was shipped is definitely not as pictured (thank GAWD)! :laugh:

There looks to be some very subtle variances between the two bands. I don't know if that means anything or not, but I did notice a couple of things. How do the bands compare to your eyes?

Bands are fine imo, definitely not a standard Carlito give away just looking at the wrapper. What I am guessing is that someone got a big batch of the scorpio maduro and has been selling them as opus maduro, which technically isn't incorrect. The reasons I think this is because a) The size is a perfect match for an opus double robo doing a side by side, b) I have had people do blind taste tests on older opus maduros, these cigars and opus 22 maduros (i.e., scorpio, BBMFM etc.) and they describe shared flavors I really only ever hear about in opus tobacco. OR they are totally fake and someone is rebanding montesinos as opus maduros for a killing :D

Bands are fine imo, definitely not a standard Carlito give away just looking at the wrapper. What I am guessing is that someone got a big batch of the scorpio maduro and has been selling them as opus maduro, which technically isn't incorrect. The reasons I think this is because a) The size is a perfect match for an opus double robo doing a side by side, b) I have had people do blind taste tests on older opus maduros, these cigars and opus 22 maduros (i.e., scorpio, BBMFM etc.) and they describe shared flavors I really only ever hear about in opus tobacco. OR they are totally fake and someone is rebanding montesinos as opus maduros for a killing :D

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But from here on out you're dead to me.

There looks to be some very subtle variances between the two bands. I don't know if that means anything or not, but I did notice a couple of things. How do the bands compare to your eyes?

The bands look perfectly fine to me.

What is strange - there's no gold printing on the cello I'm used to seeing on Opus'. I strongly suspect it's legit - really no reason to believe otherwise. Just having difficulty processing that CigarBid is selling them auction style and I'm getting them for $31...

And I do wonder if you're not spot on Phil. Having never seen a Scorpio, I'm not sure - but the size seems to be a good fit. If they did that, they must have changed the cello on 'em. I would suspect the Scorpio would have the typical gold lettering...

...and what the hey is going on with the Opus X Lost City cigars?!? CigarBid is auctioning the heck out of them. I just picked up two Lancero's for $18 each... :0

GG - there's a thread on here about the Lost City Lanc. It's an Opus X Lanc. The only thinkg I've heard different about it is the growing/picking time.

As for the DCL - MSRP is around $13. A few vendors sold them around $19.

Brad posted this on CF, about these smokes:

Well brother I said I would follow up. The quick and easy answer is yes, they are fakes. A fairly large sample was bought from the source and sent to the Fuente's to evaluate. They were broken down and examined. They were fake Opus maduros. Same source of the fake Opus Chili Peppers from before. Fuentes are discussing their options and will decide how they will proceed, but actions will be taken against this source.