• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OR Anejo #49

WTF...............Am I the only one that smells bullshit here? ???

Either Ed is truly a nice guy and there is a majority of us that have him pegged wrong, or he has the wool totally pulled over the eyes of you new guys that think you know better than the senior membership.
I've seen a lot of warning signs over the course of the last six months, and either Ed (Spivy) has no business doing these dealings with cigars, or he has all of you blinded making you act like a group of Lemming's ready to jump off of a cliff.

Here are a few of the things that I can bring to your attention.

First there was the Tkoepp Sale thread where Ed admittedly backed out of a commitment because something better came along and he wanted to leave Tim hanging. Sure the cigars were something that would sell anyways, but to me, it speaks ill of someones character when they would do this. It made a red flag pop up for me.

Then there was an episode in the Make-a-Wish PIF Thread.
Flushnutz came to me because he did not want to make a big deal about it, but he had questions about the "Cuban Sir Winston" Ed sent him. Upon examination of the pictures Dennis provided along with measurements, I realized he had been sent a Dominican H Uphman Churchill. The construction was not even close!
I approached Ed as Dennis did not want to. The response I got was that he mistakenly sent this cigar.
While Ed acted graciously and forwarded his next wish to Dennis as a way of making it right, it really set off the BS meter with me. How does someone who comes off as so well versed in cigars "mistakenly" that so obviously does not match up to what it was supposed to have been.
I really had a hard time with it, but let it go.

I know some sales go on behind the scenes, but does it bother anyone else that Ed's all of a sudden dropped off the radar?
Go look at the B/S/T forum. Until recently, you could not go one page without seeing his username all over the place.

Now I hear rumors from some pretty reliable sources that Ed's decided CP is too full of BS, and he's started recruiting membership from CP to conduct private sales on CP, but not on CP if you will. So, these sales gone bad affect CP, but they were not made on CP. I have a huge problem with Ed recruiting membership from here because CP sucks so bad and it's not the same. All while acting like nothing is amiss. Go click on his Sig if you like. Looks like Dulaney, and others are founding membership.
So, all of you guys rushing to his defense on that secret forum trashing CP and the senior membership, why don't you all get the hell out? If it's that bad, and Ed's so great, then what's keeping you here? We don't need you, and I think you all are two faced hypocrites in the worst kind of way.

You all are quick to act like teen age asses who think mom and dad (senior members) don't know shit, and you know it all. As soon as you get burned though, you want to go crying to Rod that so and so screwed you over though, huh!

Oh! Once again, maybe, just maybe :rolleyes: Ed did not realize that something was amiss with these OR Anejo before he sent them, but if that is the case, he should not even be conducting these sales. Hell, I could tell just from pictures and I'm no expert.
Some of this certainly puts things in a whole new perspective now John. Not sure talking out of both sides of the mouth gets out of this.

Now I hear rumors from some pretty reliable sources that Ed's decided CP is too full of BS, and he's started recruiting membership from CP to conduct private sales on CP, but not on CP if you will. So, these sales gone bad affect CP, but they were not made on CP. I have a huge problem with Ed recruiting membership from here because CP sucks so bad and it's not the same. All while acting like nothing is amiss. Go click on his Sig if you like. Looks like Dulaney, and others are founding membership.
So, all of you guys rushing to his defense on that secret forum trashing CP and the senior membership, why don't you all get the hell out? If it's that bad, and Ed's so great, then what's keeping you here? We don't need you, and I think you all are two faced hypocrites in the worst kind of way.

Jfields, I don't know you, but I do know that you are assuming way too much. The fact that some of us friends talk on Ed's blog is in no way indicative of what you are asserting. It is no different than the chat crew on mibbet. This GB was not organized on that board. It was organized by email. I have never made one derogatory comment about CP. I am also not running to anyone here.

Lee

What ever you want to say Lee. Ed's committed one big transgression here by promoting his site here at CP (linked it in his SIG). He knows it, and so do you.
Something everyone knows will and can get you banned.

I don't know you either, but I do know that you seem to keep stepping on your dick, worrying about everyone else, when you should be worried about Lee.

Jfields, I don't know you, but I do know that you are assuming way too much. The fact that some of us friends talk on Ed's blog is in no way indicative of what you are asserting. It is no different than the chat crew on mibbet. This GB was not organized on that board. It was organized by email. I have never made one derogatory comment about CP. I am also not running to anyone here.

Lee

Talking on his blog? I don't see many comments posts. So that would mean there's a hidden forum there, which would make it entirely different than the group you mentioned. Don't drag other people into this.

I'm not dragging anyone in. If I did, the majority of the board would be brought in, as I see most all of you guys on every cigar board around. I don't mean anything derogative in referencing chat, just using it as an example. As a matter of fact, Jake has a voice chat channel to talk on and several do.

My point is that just because a few of us (not everyone there is even from CP) talk on another board (which, as I understand it, is connected to his blog) does not mean anything. I could just as easily referenced CigarSnobs, since some members here go there and badmouth Rod and CP. I do believe Anthony at least had enough integrity to go over and make a statement.

It's unfortunate some of you got taken advantage of, however it was bound to happen, and as unfortunate as it is, it had to happen. This is a great example of why sales/trades/gb's are constantly watched and questioned...

Some of you didn't understand why I came down on one of Ed's last sales on CP, where he sold his friends collection of cigars (a friend who is not a member of CP) . There is absolutely no history of those cigars, we're simply supposed to take Ed's word on where the cigars came from and that they were all stored properly? When did Ed suddenly become the know-all of cigars? There have been some questionable trades recently, as jfields has pointed out. This is a community, and as a community things that can negatively affect other members in this community will be dealt with publicly. My question is why does someone feel the need to buy/sell so many cigars? Is it a hobby or is it something else?

It's a sad day when you find out someone has decided to secretly recruit members from CP to purposely skirt around our rules. Doing something like that is BLATANTLY using this community to your advantage, saying "fuck you CP, I'm going to do what I please and I'm going to recruit as many members as I can". That just doesn't sit well with me. I could care less if someone wants to start a cigar forum or do trades privately. If you want to start a cigar forum, do it ethically. However when someone privately recruits our members to start a private trading forum because there is too much "BS" on CP, then you don't belong here!

Let's get to the bottom of this. There is a "hidden" forum on Ed's site. Is that a problem? Absolutely not. Is it a problem that he is recruiting CP members in order to skirt around our rules? ABSOLUTELY! For you naysayers who think the private forum is made up, have a look: http://www.cigarophile.com/forum/ Funny that all of the members who log into his forum are also CP members (or "founding members").

I will not tolerate this type of behavior, don't like CP? Get the fuck out!

As a newbie who values the wisdom of FOGs, this post is like gold Tom. All this drive to get these "holy grail" cigars as Dan pointed out is ridiculous. Cigar smoking is a lifestyle, where the most valuable assets are the camaraderie and friendship it brings, and enjoying life to the fullest. It ain't about who's got the newest friggin' stick pre-release (because eventually every schlub is gonna end up getting one), or who can get an original release of this cigar or that cigar... This stuff COMES IN TIME.

When I first joined, I never thought I'd see more than one Opus in my humidor and more than one Shark together at a time, but now I have a full box of each. Guys like Rod, Bruce, Tom, Tony, Doc, George, Ray, Andrew, Sam, and a host of others...these guys do it the best because they've been around the block more than once in life experience and cigar experience. It's just utter stupidity to not tap into these guys as a resource, and snub your noses at them.

It doesn't matter how much money you have to throw away on HTF sticks, your "Look At Me!" posts, or your self-proclaimed status as a "High Roller," because in the end you're just a guy smoking a cigar. Whether it fell out of Carlito's ass and into your hands, or it was rolled by your local smoke shop, it's just a damn cigar. The real treasures are the PEOPLE and friendships made, and the history behind the culture.

CP isn't a wheel-and-deal site, you can go to Wade's for that and donate your 4% to him if you'd like. Take a moment and stop to enjoy the history of these cigars, PAY IT FORWARD, and respect those before you. Lesson learned.

/endrant.

Hey Jon thanks for this post! I've read it twice now, and this is the truth. I wanted to say something like this, but as of late have been to scared to post in these threads as I don't have a dog in this fight. Had I posted at all I probably would have been flamed. Thanks for posting this!

If it werent for Moki, Phil and few others here, you guys would have never known that the cigars were hinky.

Rod has told everyone here repeatedly to go elsewhere if this is not your cup of tea. Let's learn the lesson and move on, if not don't let the door stand in your way. Thank the members here for watching out for everyone not just a few.

For you naysayers who think the private forum is made up, have a look: ***** Funny that all of the members who log into his forum are also CP members (or "founding members").

Upon looking I see

Most users ever online was 14 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm
:laugh:

Reading this thread. I wonder how many people here on CP have OR Anejo? Far too many if you ask me. How many did they make, 8 million?
You can't just keep smoking them and somehow find them again up for sale. Is the OR Anejo the Willy Wonkas version of the never ending candy?

I don't understand why people stick around here if they don't like it. Is it too hard to give up the opportunity to get your hands on some smokes? If you hate it here so much that you go around bad mouthing the place, why show up at all?

I guess it's worth it just to stick around to "get stuff", huh? :rolleyes:

I don't really have any interest in the various side-dramas here. What I think is important is:

-- The scumbag has been exposed (again), and hopefully will be driven off for a time

-- Everyone will be a bit more careful about buying cigars from unknown people

-- If you're buying something you're not familiar with, consult someone who is

-- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

Good luck to the folks who were involved in this mess getting their monies back.

If you buy things through outside channels (private sales, Wades, whatever), you do not get the protections that are offered when a sale is done via CP or other cigar forums. Caveat emptor.

I agree there is too much BS on CP lately. Unfortunately, all the BS is being caused by the same folks that are complaining about it.

If some of you think people are being treated unfairly or being singled out for ridicule, stop and consider the fact that this thread has not been locked, as it would if that were the case.

As for the quest for the holy grail gotta have it now syndrome. Hell that's the new "America of entitlement" that has replaced the former "You can have anything you're willing to work for".

I find it funny that all of the sudden SPIVY has decided to go "stealth" so we can't see him here reading along.

....appearance and perception..... ;)

I don't really have any interest in the various side-dramas here. What I think is important is:

-- The scumbag has been exposed (again), and hopefully will be driven off for a time

-- Everyone will be a bit more careful about buying cigars from unknown people

-- If you're buying something you're not familiar with, consult someone who is

-- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

Good luck to the folks who were involved in this mess getting their monies back.

If you buy things through outside channels (private sales, Wades, whatever), you do not get the protections that are offered when a sale is done via CP or other cigar forums. Caveat emptor.

This post says it all imo.

Guy,
There is really nothing I can do to express how bad I feel for this to happen. By no means was any of this done on purpose. I made a mistake and I must live with it now. Jfields as for your post about the MAWPIF, it was an honest mistake that I did not look at the cigar closely enough. As for private boards, it was created for some of us to talk somewhere instead of pms and emails. I did not recruit members there to bash CP. Yes I do not agree with how some things are done here, but I do agree with the message behind it all.

Right now the only thing left is for this to be straightened out quickly and effectively. I love CP. I met some great people and have some true friends because of it. I enjoy cigars, just like I enjoy cars. It is something to pass time and enjoy myself doing it. I did a group buys in the past because I was able to get some cigars that others were not able to. I thought I would help out by getting it for some people. Maybe I should not have, but I did it because people hooked me up with things in the past. I was trying to pay it forward. I know that it might seem that I was doing something shady, but I do not. I do not make money on cigars, nor do I plan to. I enjoy the camaraderie that comes with communities like this. I am glad to travel to meet some of you, and I have, and hopefully will continue to.

I am truly sorry for anything and everything that was done to harm this community. I really do not know what else to say except I am sorry for what I thought would help, ended up hurting the community. I hope to share a smoke with many people here.

Sincerely,
Ed