• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OR Anejo #49

Edit: Who organized the group buy?
I think Phil poses a very valid question here.

If there is any way for this to be put on hold so we have a better chance of getting our money back it would be greatly appreciated.

What difference would it make?? Isn't it just as important to educate the collective members of CP of this occurrence, so that nobody else gets taken?? :rolleyes:

If there is any way for this to be put on hold so we have a better chance of getting our money back it would be greatly appreciated.

What difference would it make?? Isn't it just as important to educate the collective members of CP of this occurrence, so that nobody else gets taken?? :rolleyes:

The difference is that maybe, just maybe, some of these guys can get their money back.

Several excellent posts in this thread.

Cigars are what bring us to CP, however friendships are what keep us here.

Right from the man's own mouth. Well put. :thumbs:

I posted this in the veryphissy thread and it applicable here:

This influx of buying and selling here has polluted the cigar inventory you may have.

"I bought these from Joe. Where did Joe get them? He got them from Bob, he's a good guy. I think he buys from x and they have the best prices, but Bob really got these from Willie who gets his stuff from Tony on board x. Tony has a source and he gets some of the best stuff out there. You go from there and you end up where we are now."

In other words, I get the cigar from you, I pass it on to the next person and that person puts in a pass. More cigars are passed in this manner than most of us care to admit. If it sounds too good to be true question the source, you may get a sense of the truth somewhere.

None to you. Roll your eyes all you like but it's not your money is it?

So who was in charge of this group buy?

I would like to stress again our concerns about leaving this alone for now. There are a couple of people who are out some cash and we would like to recover it. We feel airing this out right now would decrease our chances. When the vewyphishy situation went down we had some time behind the scenes to try and get it sorted out. Is there any way that you guys would help us out by doing this for a little?

None to you. Roll your eyes all you like but it's not your money is it?

See! Here we go again with the snarky comments. The info needs to come out to protect our community.

Why would putting this on "hold" give you a better chance to get your money back? He either will or won't then he'll sell them to someone else.....

It matters not who was in charge at the moment. People get taken, it happens. Everyone involved is more than capable of handling the scenario, and steps have been taken by all parties to do so. Everyone is more than cooperative, and so long as the situation is made right, it matters not who organized it or who all is involved. None of these were traded or sold, as we discovered the issues within 24hours of receiving said cigars....so no one else need be worried.

Let those involved handle the situation to the best of our ability, if anything needs addressed publicly later, I'm sure it will be in due time. But if everything goes smoothly, there is no reason to string anyone up, host or participants. Lets just give it time.

See! Here we go again with the snarky comments. The info needs to come out to protect our community.

The community isn't involved.

It matters not who was in charge at the moment. People get taken, it happens. Everyone involved is more than capable of handling the scenario, and steps have been taken by all parties to do so. Everyone is more than cooperative, and so long as the situation is made right, it matters not who organized it or who all is involved. None of these were traded or sold, as we discovered the issues within 24hours of receiving said cigars....so no one else need be worried.

Let those involved handle the situation to the best of our ability, if anything needs addressed publicly later, I'm sure it will be in due time. But if everything goes smoothly, there is no reason to string anyone up, host or participants. Lets just give it time.

Ok...we'll leave it in capable hands!

;)

Are you guys no longer part of this community?

The cigars didn't make it past the parties involved. If this gets taken care of smoothly in private, there is no need for a public outing. It was made public that it happened, and that a scumbag is back at work, that's all that concerns the rest of CP at the moment.

As for the host and participants, that's really not important right now.

Isy: Quite frankly - That is their problem and I mean that in the nicest way. I have talked with some of the guys involved and I absolutely empathize with their plight, I have been taken in the past too. However it is *our* problem if more people got burned because the identity of the scammer and situation was kept hush hush in the meantime. I am pretty surprised to see you take that position as a vendor also. If you found out a distributor was sending you fake/compromised product wouldn't you let other vendors know before the buying continued? I absolutely promise you that if this place becomes any more about CYA instead of community, especially in situations like this, the solidarity of the membership here will completely crumble. If thats where the bus goes I will be getting off.

Robbie: Why would it affect your success at recovering money if people knew who ran the buy? I can see why you might want the identity kept undisclosed to avoid putting undue pressure on the guy to cover the loss but that is sort of the recurring theme that has been going on lately. Guys with experience say "Are you willing to deal with the consequences financially and socially if this goes south?" and the newer guys have responded with indifference and sort of a "Thanks for your opinion dad but kindly keep it to yourself" approach. So now we have what everyone feared, a huge financial investment totally fubar and someone MIGHT get stuck holding the bag. The reason people might want to know who it is now versus later is to become wary of being involved in group buys or sales with the person right now because without a face or name, there is a lot of guessing going on. On the other hand if someone says "Yeah I organized this and I will deal with the fallout if it goes south, if that is what the participants want" then everything is out in the open and people can proceed without worry of who they are dealing with. Why should it matter? Because these cigars are already appearing in trades/passes/bombs and people should know first if they are at risk. There is absolutely NO reason for the 'leader' to be treated poorly or lashed for making a mistake but they should let their involvement be known and determine how accountable they are willing to be *if* things don't work out. Also given there is already a thread at CF where the seller *does* have an account I doubt any goings on here will play a role in determining successful reimbursement.

Trying to protect a friend and fellow CP member is all good and fine, but unless he knew the cigars were bogus he didn't do anything wrong. So there is no need not to name the organizer of the group buy.

Only if he doesn't make good for the blunder will he be strung up. Until then he still needs to admit making a mistake in public.

In fact I would have expected that person to have already said "I screwed up guys, and I'm going to make sure it gets made right!" in this thread. I know the guys from the CP class of '05 ;) would have.

In fact I would have expected that person to have already said "I screwed up guys, and I'm going to make sure it gets made right!" in this thread. I know the guys from the CP class of '05 ;) would have.

It's about time you wrote something 'sig-tag' worthy! :thumbs:

Something else bothered me from the moment I saw it.

cello.png

Anyone else EVER see spots of yellow on cellophane, old or otherwise? It looks like its been coated with stain that globbed up in the crinkle points (highly technical term referring to the folds in the cello).

You fellas need to check the emotion at the door.

Isy: Quite frankly - That is their problem and I mean that in the nicest way. I have talked with some of the guys involved and I absolutely empathize with their plight, I have been taken in the past too. However it is *our* problem if more people got burned because the identity of the scammer and situation was kept hush hush in the meantime. I am pretty surprised to see you take that position as a vendor also. If you found out a distributor was sending you fake/compromised product wouldn't you let other vendors know before the buying continued? I absolutely promise you that if this place becomes any more about CYA instead of community, especially in situations like this, the solidarity of the membership here will completely crumble. If thats where the bus goes I will be getting off.

Robbie: Why would it affect your success at recovering money if people knew who ran the buy? I can see why you might want the identity kept undisclosed to avoid putting undue pressure on the guy to cover the loss but that is sort of the recurring theme that has been going on lately. Guys with experience say "Are you willing to deal with the consequences financially and socially if this goes south?" and the newer guys have responded with indifference and sort of a "Thanks for your opinion dad but kindly keep it to yourself" approach. So now we have what everyone feared, a huge financial investment totally fubar and someone MIGHT get stuck holding the bag. The reason people might want to know who it is now versus later is to become wary of being involved in group buys or sales with the person right now because without a face or name, there is a lot of guessing going on. On the other hand if someone says "Yeah I organized this and I will deal with the fallout if it goes south, if that is what the participants want" then everything is out in the open and people can proceed without worry of who they are dealing with. Why should it matter? Because these cigars are already appearing in trades/passes/bombs and people should know first if they are at risk. There is absolutely NO reason for the 'leader' to be treated poorly or lashed for making a mistake but they should let their involvement be known and determine how accountable they are willing to be *if* things don't work out. Also given there is already a thread at CF where the seller *does* have an account I doubt any goings on here will play a role in determining successful reimbursement.

You are right 100%. I am willing to deal with the consequences. I have dealt with them already as everyone knows. Hopefully after this I can learn. When the situation went down with Mike we gave him time to make it right behind the scenes. It's not my decision if the same should be afforded to the organizer here. I sent Rod a PM asking him. I don't know. I am just asking you guys. I am learning.