• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OR Anejo #49

You know, isn't Ed the one who bought a large lot of cigars from somebody on another board that included a Cohiba perfecto among other questionable cigars? I know I personally found the thread talking about those cigars odd and very suspect.

I'm aware of where those cigars came from... the guy is absolutely dependable; any fake cigars that were in there were told to SPIVY that they were fake, and the history behind them.

Sort of true. I think someone on the board did intermediary for the sale, which might have caused rrawrr's confusion. The guy they came from is beyond reproach.

You know, isn't Ed the one who bought a large lot of cigars from somebody on another board that included a Cohiba perfecto among other questionable cigars? I know I personally found the thread talking about those cigars odd and very suspect.

I'm aware of where those cigars came from... the guy is absolutely dependable; any fake cigars that were in there were told to SPIVY that they were fake, and the history behind them.

Sort of true. I think someone on the board did intermediary for the sale, which might have caused rrawrr's confusion. The guy they came from is beyond reproach.

The issue I had with that sale was if you knew they were fakes, why sell them?

If you knew they were fakes why show them and buy them?

Regardless of who the source was.

Anthony I agree of course. I think putting stuff like that out there is dangerous

I usually stay far, far away from these threads but...

Good job on those of you who immediately noticed something wrong. I can't imagine how farspread the damage COULD have been had Kingantz and several others not noticed when they did. Also, thank goodness for Rod, I can't think of many other moderators/owners at ANY other forum who consistently handle things in the correct way.

I thought I would point out two things I didn't quiet catch in the first 22 pages of this thread...

1) Did Ed ship these cigars individually to each person after they placed their orders? Or did these cigars ship directly from the scammer himself to each participant in the GB? If Ed did, I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't immediately be able to see that these could possibly be counterfeit. There are just so many blantent signs... This could also be a contributing factor in whether or not Ed is liable for the price of these sticks to the other members who were taken. But I suppose this is a moot point as far as CP is concerned, given this was pretty much a GB from a different site...

2) Ed was quick to defend their possible legitimacy, even though he must have had his own on hand (see page 1, he comments very early).

Just something that was digging at me, I thought I'd share my sentiments/confusion with those much smart than I. I'm still startled by exactly how quickly the community figured this out, right after the review was posted!

That's all well and good if that's true. The odd thing is, and I mentioned it in the thread, why post pictures of fake cigars as if they were legit cigars? It sure didn't seem like Ed or Robbie thought they were fake when they posted the pictures in the thread, at least not all of them.

In fact, the Cohiba perfecto had a thread started on another board by Ed asking opinions on it and whether it was legit. Would he have done this if he knew he was buying a fake? I doubt it. Anthony's post was right on the money; I could care less about who the source was. Either A) some of the cigars were fake and he did not tell Ed/he did not have reason to know that they were fake or B) he knew they were fake, but gave Ed the impression they were authentic. Either way, it appeared from the thread and other information that Ed thought some of the suspect cigars were genuine. Fakes should not be sold, unless it is clearly communicated to the other party that they are not genuine.

The question that keeps nagging me is, whether the host of this buy is just DUM Dumb, or complicit.

From what I read in this thread, I get the feeling I'm not the only one asking myself this question.

The issue I had with that sale was if you knew they were fakes, why sell them?

If you knew they were fakes why show them and buy them?

Regardless of who the source was.

If I may add if you knew they were fakes why do a "look at me thread"?

I wonder if this was ever reported to the police? If these cigars were shipped via USPS, there's a possibility that Postal Inspectors would look into it. FBI wouldn't do anything with fraud of this size, but the local police definitely should have been contacted, IMO. At least to report it and get it on record.

Andrew has said it several times, and I agree that it can be seen either way. One way is, Ed is absolutely responsible. He approached me here on CP and asked if I wanted in on the GB. I was going to be purchasing these cigars from Ed, even if he was getting them from somewhere else. I was dealing with Ed and Ed alone, period. To me, by his offering and my accepting, there was a meeting of the minds that he would be selling me 100% legitimate goods.

The other way is, I made the mistake of trusting that Ed knew what he was doing. He's been a member here for a little while now, and I've actually had a couple of dealings with him in the past that went well and a few PM exchanges, so I made the assumption that he had already done the due diligence to ensure these cigars were coming from a legitimate source. I made a huge error in judgement and do feel I am somewhat responsible for getting into such a deal. If I don't get the money back, then I have no one but myself to blame.

And yes, Ed did receive all the cigars himself and shipped them out to each of us (at least to me he did). I did ask the question, how did Ed not see immediately what I saw and raise the flag himself? I know Lee received his before I did and again, nothing said. He even does a review of one. And why, when I raised the flag immediately upon receiving said cigars (Anejo), was it not communicated immediately by Ed?

Crazy stuff.

Andrew has said it several times, and I agree that it can be seen either way. One way is, Ed is absolutely responsible. He approached me here on CP and asked if I wanted in on the GB. I was going to be purchasing these cigars from Ed, even if he was getting them from somewhere else. I was dealing with Ed and Ed alone, period. To me, by his offering and my accepting, there was a meeting of the minds that he would be selling me 100% legitimate goods.

The other way is, I made the mistake of trusting that Ed knew what he was doing. He's been a member here for a little while now, and I've actually had a couple of dealings with him in the past that went well and a few PM exchanges, so I made the assumption that he had already done the due diligence to ensure these cigars were coming from a legitimate source. I made a huge error in judgement and do feel I am somewhat responsible for getting into such a deal. If I don't get the money back, then I have no one but myself to blame.

And yes, Ed did receive all the cigars himself and shipped them out to each of us (at least to me he did). I did ask the question, how did Ed not see immediately what I saw and raise the flag himself? I know Lee received his before I did and again, nothing said. He even does a review of one. And why, when I raised the flag immediately upon receiving said cigars (Anejo), was it not communicated immediately by Ed?

Crazy stuff.
There's only two plausible answers. Lee and Ed don't know shit about cigars and two, Lee and Ed new they got ripped off and hoped no one would notice.

Doc.

Crazy stuff.
There's only two plausible answers. Lee and Ed don't know shit about cigars and two, Lee and Ed new they got ripped off and hoped no one would notice.

Doc.

I'd figure it's the former but as this progressed became the latter.

You know, isn't Ed the one who bought a large lot of cigars from somebody on another board that included a Cohiba perfecto among other questionable cigars?

Cohiba Perfecto review by miamipadronsmoke...

Hmmm...

Both spivy and miamipadronsmoke new the Cohiba perfecto was a fake??? They didn't say that
or allude to it in this review.....

But what do I know...

Coz they Ed don't know shit about cigars!

Edited to add: Ed said to me that he's only been a cigar smoker for a year or two. Clearly this is one of those things that experience (putting in time into appreciating cigars) trumps having powder to burn!

Doc.

I choose "all of the above"...

You know, isn't Ed the one who bought a large lot of cigars from somebody on another board that included a Cohiba perfecto among other questionable cigars?

Hmmm...

Both spivy and miamipadronsmoke new the Cohiba perfecto was a fake??? They didn't say that

But what do I know...

That's my point. They sure didn't sound like they thought the cigars were suspect or were made aware of the questionable nature on a number of cigars. That's why I find it hard to believe that the person who sold them those cigars was being entirely truthful about their provenance...

This issue was not my original point though. My point was, a lot of those cigars were questionable and suspicious and many members, myself included, pointed that out at the time. So, anyone who chose to buy from Ed after seeing that thread should have taken the responsibility on themselves to exercise dilligence in making sure the cigars were genuine. That was my point, Ed should share blame, but not the entire pile of it as the other members of the GB should have been put on notice from that thread that A) Ed did not have enough experience to be buying HTFs yet, or B) he knew they were not genuine, but didn't care.

What he said!

That buy was known...the OR crap was not.

Hmmm...

But what do I know...

If you are going to link to this thread get it right. The title says CUSTOM Cohiba Perfecto. At the time this thread was done Rob had said it was a custom rolled by someone in the factory. He did not state this was a legit Habanos S.A. stick. This whole thing is a sad situtation. People got burnt and that s@cks(I know I have been burnt). It seems to me that this is starting to go the way of maybe Ed could of been doing something funny or he should have known. I do not know Ed personally but in my opinion he got caught up in the hoopla of obtaining very HTF sticks. I am not sure that Ed has the knowledge to be able to tell if they were fake or not. In my opinion he is guilty of being caught up and got in over his head(I also have done this). This should just be a good lesson as many have stated. To start to wonder what someone might have done or what they should know is climbing a slippery slope.

Hey Greg and Jim, not that I think they are, but are the cigars at least Anejos and Opie robos?

I guess I should give up on the hopes of getting those 5 finger bags Spivy was doing a GB for... LOL.