• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ordered my new Toy!

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
Took the plunge and ordered my new iMac today. Now, like with cigars, the hard part is waiting.

Model 24-inch iMac
Processor 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM; supports up to 4GB
Hard drive 500GB Serial ATA; 7200 rpm
Optical drive Slot-loading 8x SuperDrive
Display 24 inch (viewable) glossy widescreen TFT active-matrix LCD, 1920 by 1200 pixels, millions of colors
Video Built-in iSight; mini-DVI output
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS with 512MB GDDR3 Memory
Ethernet Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11n); built-in Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)

Also picked up Spore and Civilization IV

Tim

Tim:

I will be curious to see what you think after the learning curve is over.

Good luck

A Mac?!

Hmm, I never took you for a 15 year old high school cheerleader MX.

Excellent purchase.

There will be hardly any learning curve.

You close browser windows on the left rather than the right and a few other minor things.

Download Firefox, it's much the same as running on windows.

Enjoy.

Brian

I'm heading in the same direction.

Maybe not the 24" model, but I'm leaning toward the Mac.

A Mac?!

Hmm, I never took you for a 15 year old high school cheerleader MX.

Well, now you know!!

And you thought I was some kinda spec-ops, delta, secret squirrel, NSA rogue agent......

Tim

I'm in an architecture program, and do a lot of graphic design. I was in the same boat as you, looking for a new one. I realized, that for a 2000+ dollar computer...I could build a PC that out preforms it in every way possible for about 1000 bucks.

Windows can do all the same stuff as far as art is concerned. And if I had a mac, it'd be running windows.

Sure, they're good for some stuff, but they're just an image thing and are wayyyy over priced.

I'm in an architecture program, and do a lot of graphic design. I was in the same boat as you, looking for a new one. I realized, that for a 2000+ dollar computer...I could build a PC that out preforms it in every way possible for about 1000 bucks.

Windows can do all the same stuff as far as art is concerned. And if I had a mac, it'd be running windows.

Sure, they're good for some stuff, but they're just an image thing and are wayyyy over priced.
Doh!

NA

I switched to a Mac about 9 months ago.

It is really amazing how you feel when you are not bogged down with the hell of operating windows.

When your computer works with you, as opposed to against you it is a great thing.

Congrats on switching to Mac! You will love it! :thumbs:

This thread title would draw more attention if it were started by a woman. :)

I work on both platforms, but Mac is such a beautiful OS.

There is some truth to "You get what you pay for". :whistling:

Doh!

NA

Care to elaborate? I've no need for an overpriced system that cannot be upgraded at my will, nor is it suitable for any graphically intense gaming...

Doh!

NA

Care to elaborate? I've no need for an overpriced system that cannot be upgraded at my will, nor is it suitable for any graphically intense gaming...
Umm. I was agreeing with you Homer Simpson style. But we can fight about it if yer bored.

NA

I have the same system as you ordered Tim but you have a newer graphics card. CP on a 24" screen is as good as it gets. Get the Missing Manual Leopard edition and you will have a great reference. I ordered that book and read it every night before I even owned the computer and it has helped immensely.

Doh!

NA

Umm. I was agreeing with you Homer Simpson style. But we can fight about it if yer bored.

NA

I don't want to fight, I seem to have misinterpreted your response, my apologies friend.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread!

Do you mean out specs or out performs? You wouldnt know the later unless you benchmarked them both

Do you mean out specs or out performs? You wouldnt know the later unless you benchmarked them both

Forgive me, you are correct sir. Yes, it out specs. Perhaps the mac could out preform, I dunno, I haven't benchmarked either computer.

All I know is I know what I like. As I said, mac's have their place, but in my opinion, are over priced and more of a trend buy than anything else. But then again, you know what they say about opinions...

I'm sorry if I took this thread in negative direction, wasn't right of me. I should have congratulated the OP on his new purchase, because I know what it's like to get something you've been waiting for, and the excitement is something to share. However, when I was faced with the same situation I chose to go with a home built PC, because that better suited my needs and budget at the time. Different strokes for different folks! :thumbs: