• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Please help in choosing a humidor :)

I really like that idea! I think I found what next weekends project will be!

Thank you so much!

Jeffrey L.

Then I'm glad I asked. I was reading this morning that humidors are best kept in a cool area where there isn't much temp change and to stay below approx. 75* Would the garage work from now until when it starts getting hot again next year? I live in Wisconsin....

I wouldn't keep them in the garage in the winter. Remember the 70% rh/70 deg rule of thumb. 70% RH when it's 30F in your garage, in the winter, is really dry for cigars. Moist and cool is what you want...but not WI cool. IMHO 65% rh/70 deg is a better than 70/70. The best place to have them is in a finished basement...No temperature swings and small humidity swings season to season.

Thank you so much!

Jeffrey L.

I'm working on one as we speak. I managed to score a few cigar boxes to use to line the thing with cedar. I'm still debating on whether to use beads or an active humidifier like a cigar oasis. So far I have it lined with cedar, which I glued using a hot glue gun. The glue I used is odorless and is certified safe for incidental food contact, so I figure it would be safe for cigars. Good luck on your coolerdor build. I've seen your man cave. You have a nice setup :)

ETA-Should you go the humi beads route, this site comes highly recommended:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

Thank you so much!

Jeffrey L.

I'm working on one as we speak. I managed to score a few cigar boxes to use to line the thing with cedar. I'm still debating on whether to use beads or an active humidifier like a cigar oasis. So far I have it lined with cedar, which I glued using a hot glue gun. The glue I used is odorless and is certified safe for incidental food contact, so I figure it would be safe for cigars. Good luck on your coolerdor build. I've seen your man cave. You have a nice setup :)

ETA-Should you go the humi beads route, this site comes highly recommended:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14
Thanks a lot for the compliment! I'm picking up a few more things tomorrow morning to hopefully complete the 'cave'!

That's a great idea to get some cigar boxes to use the cedar to line it with. The B&M's I frequent have TONS of cigar boxes I could grab to do just that. Thanks for the idea!

Jeffrey L.

Yup coolidor is the way to go. Have one, and am looking at another because it is brimming full. That's on top of my 2 desktops that are also full. I had good dealings with cheaphumidors. They allow for a digital hygro upgrade for adjustable ones. Not a bad deal for an extra $20. My Cuban Crafters humidor is great. They make quality stuff. I just wish it was bigger. A very common theme when you stick aroun here.

Ditto on the "not in the garage." Way to many temp swings here. Definitely not good for the smokes.

I keep reading about these coolidors so much I think I will be building one for myself when I get back. I won a 50 count humidor on CigarsInternational last week so that should do for some singles.

Now, Just have to find a place to put it in the house where my wife wont say anything!

U guys got an answer for that? ???

BOOO!! Well, depending on where you live, that may not be too bad. Of course that depends on your ambient temperature. Lots of people recommend the back of a closet for coolidors because there are usually fewer swings in temp. You might be able to stash something back there.

Now, Just have to find a place to put it in the house where my wife wont say anything!

In your man cave of course! :D
I talked to the wife about making up a man cave when I got back. She said take the shed! :(

Damn Sarge. Did we marry the same woman because I got the exact same answer. :sign:

hahahaha... The shed wouldn't be bad... just gets a bit cold. Run some power out there though, insulate and clean all the crap out. Mite spend some time out there. :p

I keep reading about these coolidors so much I think I will be building one for myself when I get back. I won a 50 count humidor on CigarsInternational last week so that should do for some singles.

I keep mine in my clothes closet on the floor.

I keep mine in my clothes closet on the floor.
Thats what I am going to try, but she may have an issues with that. The basement might have the best results I think. She doesn't go down there that much which means she wont know how many I have. Win/win :thumbs:

In your man cave of course! :D
I talked to the wife about making up a man cave when I got back. She said take the shed! :(

Damn Sarge. Did we marry the same woman because I got the exact same answer. :sign:

hahahaha... The shed wouldn't be bad... just gets a bit cold. Run some power out there though, insulate and clean all the crap out. Mite spend some time out there. :p
I hear ya. I'll be living on post when I get to Drum though (at least for a little while till I get familiar with the area) and even though I'll have a garage, she swears up and down that her new SUV will be going in there. Guess we'll just have to see :p

I wanted to bump this thread, because it's kind of funny.....when I joined last September and started this thread about a humidor, EVERYONE warned me that it'll fill up too soon and I should go the coolidor route. I didn't believe any of you. 10 months and a few thousand later, my 70 qt coolidor is full of primo smokes, along with my 125ct humi. Now it's time for a cabinet.

You've all created a monster and I thank you very much :thumbs:

Jeffrey L.