• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Please Help

I think you need a little more product offering or even description, but that is just what my business side tells me. Your products are definitely different from those on other sites, which can be good and bad.

I have never heard of any of those brands except Colita, which reminds me too much of all the other crappy Cohiba imitators. But you should offer a sampler to those who are interested.

ree ree robusto said:
The smokes look cheap. Sorry bro, but to be honest you are not going to get my business.

Ree
[snapback]203741[/snapback]​

Ditto!

Ekans said:
wohoo..the noob is here again, bundle cigars?
[snapback]203694[/snapback]​

You joined the 11th of this month and you are calling him a noob! lol :laugh: :sign:

DevilsMilk said:
ree ree robusto said:
The smokes look cheap. Sorry bro, but to be honest you are not going to get my business.

Ree

Ditto!
[snapback]204131[/snapback]​

Ditto your Ditto!
I have found trying to find quality cheep smokes more expensive than just buying the good stuff.

smoore said:
DevilsMilk said:
ree ree robusto said:

Ree

Ditto!

[snapback]204131[/snapback]​

Ditto your Ditto!
I have found trying to find quality cheep smokes more expensive than just buying the good stuff.
[snapback]204152[/snapback]​

I'm going to end up looking an a**hole for this but this type of ignorance drives me insane. I've been holding this back for a while but someone has to say it. Please understand that I am not calling everyone in this board ignorant but I honestly think there are a number of really ignorant cigar smokers out there. I really hate those snobby wannabe cigar experts out there that put down any brand of cigar that are not cuban or not a 'trendy' well known brand. There is nothing more ignorant than calling a product that you have NEVER tried cheap or crappy. That pure ignorance, no two ways about it. Just because a cigar does not say 'Cohiba' on the label does not make it a bad cigar people! If you are ignorant enough to not give any cigars that are less than a $100 a box a chance you are an idiot. I understand that my cigars are affordable, but that's suppose to be a good thing! I'm sorry I don't like overpricing my product to gain 'ignorant cigar snob fans'. And another thing, the prices for my cigars are so low because the prices on my site are distributor prices! If you were to buy these cigars in a cigar store you'd be paying at least double for them. The only reason I'm letting consumers buy my cigars are distributor prices is because I want to let the brand grow by letting people that normally would never try it, give it a chance. I'm in this business, not just to make money of it, but because I'm a cigar enthusiast too. I mean I do make a living out of it, but one of my main goals while I'm in this busines is to make cigars that myself and other people enjoy. I do listen to consumers unlike other people in this business. The only reason I ask for so much feedback is because my company's number one goal is to please the consumer. I know it's sounds clichei but it's the truth. My 'mojo' brand only went under construction only when about a panel of about 15 cigar enthusiasts approved the product. Preproduction and research took place for over a year and a half. I know I'm losing money with these prices, but I trully do believe in these cigars. My father and I have been in this industry for over 20 years and I'm really tired of people judging cigars on their price tags. Rocky Patel cigars, CAO, Opus X, Punch Rare Corojo, Romeo y Julieta, Cusano, and Cohiba cigar are all over priced people! There are times when these manufactures make back at least 12 times their cost. I've been to Opus's factory, their cigars are made no different than my cigars. What i'm trying to say people, don't fall for ignorance. I've been to the factory in Dominican Republic that produces the Opus X, and to tell you the truth people their cost is about the same as mine for a 'Fuma Dominicana Especial'. Ofcourse there is a difference, mainly name recognition. A cigar hobbiest should enjoy cigars because they are cigars! not because of what it says in the label. Wether you like a cigar or not, this decision should be made by YOUR preference, not by what the current 'trend' is, or what the price is. Once again, I know i'm going to get torched for this, but I've read about this in different boards, and the overall cigar business has a lot of ignorance in it and I just needed to vent.
-Rick

Not a bad vent as these things go and you do raise some good points. Offer a sampler at cost of even as a loss leader and let the people decide. Just my .02¢

You do make a good point, it isn't right to judge a cigar you've never tried, BUT I have not had many (if any) cheap smokes that I enjoyed. I think not all the brands you mentioned are overpriced, Cusano and Rocky Patel represent good value in my books. Had a Cohiba Siglo vi couple days back, overpriced? Yes. Excellent? Yes. I don't bother buying cheap smokes myself as well, since I don't enjoy them (the ones I've tried). I do get some free sometimes and then I give them a try, seldom impressed.

yea I agree, I'm working on assembling a sampler bundle/box with the factory. It takes some time to assemble and clear customs so it's going to be a few weeks before i can offer it online. I wanted to make another point, i understand that not everyone will like my cigars, it's not realistic for me to expect so. I just ask for you to try the cigar before you judge it, and if you chose not to try it, thats fine, just don't bring it bring it down.

DandScigars said:
yea I agree, I'm working on assembling a sampler bundle/box with the factory. It takes some time to assemble and clear customs so it's going to be a few weeks before i can offer it online. I wanted to make another point, i understand that not everyone will like my cigars, it's not realistic for me to expect so. I just ask for you to try the cigar before you judge it, and if you chose not to try it, thats fine, just don't bring it bring it down.
[snapback]204298[/snapback]​
i'm always ready to try something different, bring it on. sancho panza extra fuerte are inexpensive and i love their taste. maybe i'll find a diamond in the rough. ymmv! :p

DandScigars said:
I'm going to end up looking an a**hole for this but this type of ignorance drives me insane. I've been holding this back for a while but someone has to say it. Please understand that I am not calling everyone in this board ignorant but I honestly think there are a number of really ignorant cigar smokers out there. I really hate those snobby wannabe cigar experts out there that put down any brand of cigar that are not cuban or not a 'trendy' well known brand. There is nothing more ignorant than calling a product that you have NEVER tried cheap or crappy. That pure ignorance, no two ways about it. Just because a cigar does not say 'Cohiba' on the label does not make it a bad cigar people! If you are ignorant enough to not give any cigars that are less than a $100 a box a chance you are an idiot. I understand that my cigars are affordable, but that's suppose to be a good thing! I'm sorry I don't like overpricing my product to gain 'ignorant cigar snob fans'. And another thing, the prices for my cigars are so low because the prices on my site are distributor prices! If you were to buy these cigars in a cigar store you'd be paying at least double for them. The only reason I'm letting consumers buy my cigars are distributor prices is because I want to let the brand grow by letting people that normally would never try it, give it a chance. I'm in this business, not just to make money of it, but because I'm a cigar enthusiast too. I mean I do make a living out of it, but one of my main goals while I'm in this busines is to make cigars that myself and other people enjoy. I do listen to consumers unlike other people in this business. The only reason I ask for so much feedback is because my company's number one goal is to please the consumer. I know it's sounds clichei but it's the truth. My 'mojo' brand only went under construction only when about a panel of about 15 cigar enthusiasts approved the product. Preproduction and research took place for over a year and a half. I know I'm losing money with these prices, but I trully do believe in these cigars. My father and I have been in this industry for over 20 years and I'm really tired of people judging cigars on their price tags. Rocky Patel cigars, CAO, Opus X, Punch Rare Corojo, Romeo y Julieta, Cusano, and Cohiba cigar are all over priced people! There are times when these manufactures make back at least 12 times their cost. I've been to Opus's factory, their cigars are made no different than my cigars. What i'm trying to say people, don't fall for ignorance. I've been to the factory in Dominican Republic that produces the Opus X, and to tell you the truth people their cost is about the same as mine for a 'Fuma Dominicana Especial'. Ofcourse there is a difference, mainly name recognition. A cigar hobbiest should enjoy cigars because they are cigars! not because of what it says in the label. Wether you like a cigar or not, this decision should be made by YOUR preference, not by what the current 'trend' is, or what the price is. Once again, I know i'm going to get torched for this, but I've read about this in different boards, and the overall cigar business has a lot of ignorance in it and I just needed to vent.
-Rick
[snapback]204293[/snapback]​

You make some valid points. I look at your cigars and quite honestly I am too much of a "snob" to spend $25 on a bundle of cigars that I am not sure I will like. That doesn't mean I think your cigars are cheap or whatever, I am just at a point in my cigar smoking that I know what I like and it pretty much takes someone's recommendation for me to try something else. There are just way too many cigars out there to keep smoking every thing I can find.

With that said, there is no bigger turnoff for me when I go to a cigar store or a website and I see something like this:

colitabig.jpg

Call it what you will, but this is a blatant attempt to make a cigar look like a Cohiba knockoff. Or something along those lines anyway. Either way, when I see something like this, that's enough to make me want to take my business elsewhere.

That's just my opinion.

DandScigars said:
There are times when these manufactures make back at least 12 times their cost. I've been to Opus's factory, their cigars are made no different than my cigars. What i'm trying to say people, don't fall for ignorance. I've been to the factory in Dominican Republic that produces the Opus X, and to tell you the truth people their cost is about the same as mine for a 'Fuma Dominicana Especial'. Ofcourse there is a difference, mainly name recognition.
[snapback]204293[/snapback]​

Interesting -- which factory was it that you went to specifically?

As for the costs being the same, that's only applicable if you actually grow your own tobacco and wrapper in the Dominican Republic.

ricmac25 said:
Call it what you will, but this is a blatant attempt to make a cigar look like a Cohiba knockoff. Or something along those lines anyway. Either way, when I see something like this, that's enough to make me want to take my business elsewhere.

That's just my opinion.
Agreed. When I see something like this, my first thought is "the smokes aren't good enough to stand on their own; the best they hope for is to fool people into buying them".

Too bad if the smokes are actually quite good; with ads / names like that, I'll never know.

My $00.02 - B.B.S.

Rick,
I agree you make some valid points in your statements.

I am curious though when you bought this company did they already have the "Colita" brand and the packaging in place or is this something that was created after you became the owner?

Help me understand why (other than the obvious) did you decide to go for the Cohiba look verses another popular cigar label, Romeo & Julieta, Montecristo .....?

I for one have enjoyed cigar from some smaller lesser known brands labels La Luna and La Plata have produced some excellent cigars IMHO but none of them went after the big name boys but developed labels that try to stand on their own merits.

BenjieV :D

I should explain. I never created the 'colita' brand. The 'colita' brand has been available for some quite. As for it being a cohiba knock off, you guys are absolutely right the similarities are obvious. However, I never created this brand. A neighboring factory was going under and offered me their supplies and rights for the brand for next to nothing. It was a business decision that we had to make. It's been a pretty good one too, because eventhough you might be turn off by the similarities between the two, the overall respond to the actual cigar has been good. Sales have been solid too. However, I have gotten a lot of negative responses like the one's I've gotten from this board from the brand. I've allready made back my investment in the brand, and we've decide to stop producing the 'colita' brand after this quarter. You'll notice that a box of eslendido's is going next to nothing, and with every purchase we are giving away a tin box of colita cigars. Right now I am trying to get rid of the stock I have both in Miami, and the factory.. As for my factory: it's called 'Tabacalera Del Monte', located in Tamboril, Dominican Republic. We have our own farms which we grow our own tobacco. The farms/factory are run by my father, and I run the sales office here in Miami. 'D & S Cigars=Duran and Son Cigars. Our factory has been opened for about 10 years. Most of the time we would produce cigars for other businesses. Recently we opened up our own sales office here in the states. We specialize in distribution, we don't really work with the end consumer. The website is intended for distributors, not for the end consumer. I'm leaving it open to consumers for awhile to spread some interest on some our brands. We plan on appearing in the RTDA show next year, so I'm trying to be as prepared as I can for it, that's why feedback to me is so important right now. Eventhough I have gotten some negative responses from you guys, I still want to thank you guys. Negative feedback still helps. I have gotten upset because of 'ignorant' comments from some, but even with that your advice has helped me. I've tried to design my company in a manner that our main goal is to please the cigar enthusiast. And with your help, we will reach our goal, so once again. Thanks.

So what if I'm a cigar snob. :sign: When I first saw your site, I was turned off by the fake knock-off colita name. Why waste my time on an imitation?! Now, if they had their own unique looking label and name I might have given it a second thought.

I look froward to being able to get a hold of a sampler - I've found some decent sticks from buying a few mixed samplers already.

ree ree robusto said:
So what if I'm a cigar snob. :sign: When I first saw your site, I was turned off by the fake knock-off colita name. Why waste my time on an imitation?! Now, if they had their own unique looking label and name I might have given it a second thought.
[snapback]204510[/snapback]​

DING DING DING, nail on head, he's got what I think. ;)

Overpriced is really just an opinion. You may not be willing to pay for an Opus but I am, happily. How can you say I what the value I have in a cigar is. If someone is willing to pay 10.00 for a curly head because that is the only cigar that gives him the experience he is looking for then to him it could be a bargain. Also, if I smoked one of your cigars and it just didn't fit my taste you could give them to me and I would say they are too expensive. No cigar is overprices to the person that likes them.

If they put an Opus band on a White Owl and charged $15.00 for it do you think as many people would still buy them? Sure you would get people who would but that's because of the reputation they have and it would not be for long. A reputation they have BUILT I must add. A reputation they would not have gotten selling **** cigars at $15.00 a piece. If they dropped in quality sales would go down. Same goes for Padrons. Having the reputation of being a consistent brand is again a reputation you build. You've built nothing but the reputation of pushing knock-offs. You have taken no pride in your work so why should we assume you are selling a quality product. The Fuente's have made their bones. People buy Fuente because they know what they are getting.

"I've been to Opus's factory, their cigars are made no different than my cigars." Tell me... How long to you age your tobacco? How long are your cigars aged before you release them. What type of devise to you place in your cigar boxes to keep the humidity? What are your boxes made from? You say you've been in the cigar business for 20 years so you must know the prices set by the manufactures you've mentioned are not arbitrary numbers and are associated to the costs they incur making a PREMIUM cigar.

You said "don't fall for ignorance" what the hell does that mean? What am I falling for? I guess I should not trust the opinion of a friend or fellow BOTL. Maybe I should not trust blind tastings. Maybe I should trust some guy that tells me every cigar out there that I like and has a good reputation is not that good. Maybe what I should fall for is the "similarity" to the Cohiba line. That type of marketing is indented to make me think I will have a similar experience as smoking a Cohiba and it's deceptive. That, I will not fall for.

Maybe you don't have a sophisticated enough palette to discern the complexities that make a good smoke and if that's the case you should not be making cigars. I've tried many cheaper cigars and I just don't have time for them. I've been there done that. I don't smoke often so I don't want an average experience when I do. I am not on a quest to find the best sub $5.00 smoke. I am on a quest for the best smoking experience possible and if that makes me snob... so be it.

I see we won't find common ground on this, so I don't see the point in arguing. I think you misunderstood me however. I never said you were ignorant for smoking an Opus or any well known cigar. I too smoke Opus, Cohiba and other premium brands. I'm a cigar enthusiast too. I'm a fan of good cigars. They're great cigars, NO DOUBT about it. The only point I was trying to make is that it is not fair to call a product cheap/crappy when you have no knowledge about it. I won't force you to smoke my cigars, you don't have to like them either. Just be fair and don't put down a cigar you know nothing about. When you do this, I consider you ignorant. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by what I said, that is just my honest opinion, just like you've made an opinion on my cigars(with no merit i might add). It is fine if you don't want to give my cigars a try, I have no problem with that; just don't judge something you know nothing about.

I never said you were ignorant for smoking an Opus or any well known cigar. I too smoke Opus, Cohiba and other premium brands. I'm a cigar enthusiast too. I'm a fan of good cigars.

Great, then post in the main forums as a cigar lover, not a seller.

I was trying to make is that it is not fair to call a product cheap/crappy when you have no knowledge about it. I won't force you to smoke my cigars, you don't have to like them either. Just be fair and don't put down a cigar you know nothing about.

Some cigars are pretty easy to read. The Colita, says it all. Sorry but if I saw a cigar in a "Apus Z" box that looks alot like Opus X, I wouldn't touch it.

When you do this, I consider you ignorant.
The way to get our trust and try your product in the first place, is not by insulting us. And please remeber, you came here asking our thoughts, and you got them! Thanks for stopping by! :whistling:

When I go to a local shop, they don't call me dumb and tell me to buy a knock off cigar... ;)